woady

Its with sad news....Blue Skies Reid Ashe

I'm pretty new to the Farm and I don't know him, but I felt it was appropriate to share this with ya'll, for those of you who may have known him.

Skydiver Killed After Chute Fails To Open

A 23 year old Atlanta man, now identified as 23 year old Olen Reid Ashe III, a student at Georgia Tech, has died from injuries suffered in a skydiving accident while skydiving with friends at the Skydive Farm near Grady Road in Polk County.

Fire and rescue personnel responded to the scene just before 5pm on Saturday after receiving a call that a skydiver’s parachute failed to open. Tony Braizer, Polk County Deputy Coroner said Ashe’s parachute either failed to open or it tangled. He said Ashe was able to deploy his reserve parachute, however he apparently waited too long for it to slow his fall before he struck the ground.

Hans Paulsen, the owner of the Farm said Ashe had already jumped twice earlier in the day and had no problems. He said It appeared that Ashe deployed his backup chute at around 200 feet, too late to slow his fall.

Braizer said Ashe was pronounced dead at the scene from massive internal and external injuries around 4:30pm.

Witnesses said Ashe was an experienced skydiver with nearly 300 jumps under his belt, and he was a frequent visitor to the Farm Skydive Center.

http://www.polknewswire.com/2008/07/26/skydiver-killed-after-chute-fails-to-open/

Blue Skies Bro.
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

Blue skies Reid. [:/]

I didn't Reid as well as I wished, but I always enjoyed jumping with him at the DZ. Reid used the same fabric for his pelt head helmet as I did, unbeknownst to either one of us. We had a really good 2 way matching pelt head jump one time at SDA. Fly free. :(

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Reid, was a great guy. For those of you who didn't get to know him I am sorry. I was lucky enough to see him Friday where he was talking excitedly about doing his 300th jump. I congratulated him on that. I wish I had spent more time with him. He was a great friend and I will miss him.

Blue Skies Olen Reid Ashe III Blue Skies.

Hamilton
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Sadness does not convey the feeling I have.

Although Reid was very young, I could see in him great potential as a skydiver and a man. He was bright, caring, and warm. What he could have accomplished in the rest of his life, we will never know, but my bet is he would have been great.

I am posting a photo of Hambone, Reid, and friends in happier days. Reid is left front row.

Reid, thanks for the little bit of time I got to spend with you. I will always remember that first drill dive we did together, running into you at various times and events, and the enthusiasm you carried with you.

I am honored to call you friend and I hope to see you again in a better place.

Blue Skies,
Bob
qoq

I used to pack for Reid back in the day @ SDA.... Good guy....

Blue skies buddy!! I know you are up there turning points and having that huge smile on your face....

Love to all that knew him!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

By S.A. REID
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/31/08

A metro area YMCA plans to name its climbing tower for a Georgia Tech student and former camp staffer killed in a skydiving accident.

The 60-foot structure will become the Reid Ashe Memorial Climbing Tower on Tuesday when the Cherokee Outdoor Family YMCA at Lake Allatoona in Woodstock is scheduled to hold a 7 p.m. farewell to Olen Reid Ashe III.

Toby Bramblett, YMCA executive director, described Ashe as a "rock for this facility" in his role as action learning coordinator. For the past two summers, Ashe, of Richmond, Va., managed the YMCA's climbing towers and lead off-site climbing trips.

"This is a way for us to remember him," Bramblett said. "He made an impact on that wall. That's a way for us to continue the tradition of Reid."

Ashe, 23, died Saturday after an apparent parachute malfunction caused him to fall to his death at SkydiveTheFarm in Rockmart. It was a 299th career jump for Ashe, who was involved in the sport since his freshman year and was once a member of Tech's student skydiving club.

Polk County police and the Federal Aviation Administration are examining Ashe's parachutes and helmet camera for clues to the cause of the accident.
ChutingStar.com

Here are a few pictures that I'd been wanting to post. Just didn't have a chance until now.

The 1st one is from one of the last jumps I did with Reid, my 300th jump the week after Dublin '07. He was the only one on that jump not wearing a jumpsuit, but he was one of the few that made it into the formation. He was quite a good skydiver. He's in the top center of this pic.

The 2nd one is a group picture of the Pelt Heads at Dublin '07. Reid is standing in the back, 4th from left.

Blue skies Reid. [:/]

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I didn't realize that I had jumped with him. My log book just says "Laura's 300th". Thanks for posting that picture.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."