edge01

Frank Mott

Wow. I just heard the news. So sad. Frank, you were an interesting guy with a story for every occasion. I'm glad I was able to get to know you a bit over the last two years. You will be missed. BSBD.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

In a sport where superlatives describe a great many people Frank Mott was one of those. In a sport where you know people you can trust with the women and the money Frank Mott was one of those. In a sport where I have a thousand acquaintances and twenty lifetime friends Frank Mott was one of those.

In a sport where someone's death is too often described as, "he was the best instructor, the best flyer, or the best rigger," I won't embarrass his memory in that way. Sure Frank was good at all those things just like thousands of us are. But in the good and bad times, in the ups and downs that course through our lives, in the thirty years of learning how few constants truly exist, Frank Mott was one of those.

Frank Mott was a rock. A man who in his thirties single handily spawned a generation of Southern California jumpers and riggers to a man who took to doing tandems in his sixties.

Frank Mott smiled and grounded me a number of times when I pushed it too far and Frank Mott smiled and welcomed me back when my time was up. Frank Mott taught me the ways of fabric and string. With thread and needle Frank Mott taught me life must be interconnected and elastic or else it will break. Frank Mott, to a lot of us, was dad, big brother, and friend. Surely the toughest trifecta of them all.

Frank Mott taught me how to be an instructor. He taught me no two students are alike. He taught me every student is someone's brother, sister, mom or dad. He taught me that every first jump student counted.

So now I'm going to put on some classic rock and open a beer. I'm going to spend a few hours contemplating the lifetime of a man I truly loved. And in the end I know already the answer that will have me in tears, Frank Mott was one of us . . .

NickD

Photos - Frank (bottom) in 1982 and inflight with a jumpsuit he built for fun with open cells like a canopy on the arms.

Frank, I will alwas remember looking at you as you called door, as my student crawled out on the strut, & how we laughed after they did it,and the de-brief afterwards! You were there for our group briefing after the 4 guy,s the other day, THANK YOU! You believed in me as an instructor. Thank you for giving me shit because I didn't want to get my TI becauuse I was 46 and you were 60! Thank you for flying the plane when Roy Fox made his high school reunion videio, I was honored to be part of that. And Thank you for talking to our students when they were working on there "A's", that was the best thing they will only know ,in time, when they look in there log books!
Frank,I cried part way though this, because, you helped me become the instructor I am today.
THANK YOU,
BLUE SKIES,
WILD BILL
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Here are a few photos from Frank Mott's memorial ash dive held yesterday at the Ramona Airport in east San Diego County. Some folks came from as far away as Arizona and Texas and approximately 75 to 100 jumpers and friends were in attendance. The ash dive was a formation load using two Cessna 206 aircraft that went perfectly. Beer was drunk and stories were told and we sent Frank Mott off in style . . .

NickD :)