NoShitThereIWas

Blue Skies Steve Parrella

Sadly and with a heavy heart, I am here to inform the skydiving community that Steve Parrella passed away this last weekend in his home.

For those of you who did not know Steve, he was a great guy, caring father, good friend and to me, one of my 4 Way teammates on Quantum Leap's 2004 team, "Crazy Pants". Steve worked for American Airlines as a captain and accident investigator and he worked at Quantum Leap as an AFF instructor, coach and S&TA. Steve was always willing to take the time with students and he was an inspiration to the sport of skydiving.

Steve was one of the only two survivors to come out of the Quantum Leap crash which incidentally, is coming up on it's 2 year anniversary on July 29th. Steve survived the crash but sustained severe injuries including damage to his spinal cord. After battling for his life in ICU and in the hospital, Steve got to go home but ended up paralyzed from the chest down.

I do not know yet how or why Steve died, I do know that his life after the QL crash changed drastically. Steve was a fighter and accomplished many great things in his lifetime. He was very respected in our community of skydivers and we will remember him always.

Blue skies Steve, I hope you are in a better place now and that you are jumping once more with our old friends Scott, Robert, Rob and Dave.

Dakota, "the prettiest girl in Sullivan" was so sad when I told her the news today :(

Blue skies Steve.
Love,
"Alfredo"
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Steve, I still hear your adivce when I skydive. I will remember the things you taught me - and when I teach my students, I hope to bring them to the understanding you brought me to.

Jen, remember, Steve was on reserve for my first skydive and you were on my main side.

Never thought I would regret not getting video of that jump..........

Sadly and with a heavy heart, I am here to inform the skydiving community that Steve Parrella passed away this last weekend in his home.

For those of you who did not know Steve, he was a great guy, caring father, good friend and to me, one of my 4 Way teammates on Quantum Leap's 2004 team, "Crazy Pants". Steve worked for American Airlines as a captain and accident investigator and he worked at Quantum Leap as an AFF instructor, coach and S&TA. Steve was always willing to take the time with students and he was an inspiration to the sport of skydiving.

Steve was one of the only two survivors to come out of the Quantum Leap crash which incidentally, is coming up on it's 2 year anniversary on July 29th. Steve survived the crash but sustained severe injuries including damage to his spinal cord. After battling for his life in ICU and in the hospital, Steve got to go home but ended up paralyzed from the chest down.

I do not know yet how or why Steve died, I do know that his life after the QL crash changed drastically. Steve was a fighter and accomplished many great things in his lifetime. He was very respected in our community of skydivers and we will remember him always.

Blue skies Steve, I hope you are in a better place now and that you are jumping once more with our old friends Scott, Robert, Rob and Dave.

Dakota, "the prettiest girl in Sullivan" was so sad when I told her the news today :(

Blue skies Steve.
Love,
"Alfredo"

Steve provided a great seminar at Rantoul which was titled something to the effect "Human Error as a factor in the skydiving accident"
A day or two later the QL accident happened and his life and so many others were changed forever. He was a great and giving guy, and we will all miss him.
I really enjoyed our talks together. It seems impossible that he is gone.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I hardly know what to say or think. I had just talked to Steve about 2 weeks ago about aircraft safety. And he sounded very good. He was a great S&TA as well as all of the other things he did.

I'll second that. I've been PMing with Steve for quite awhile now. I am so saddened to hear about this!

Dang Steve go easy. BSBD.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

For those wanting to know more about services for Steve, you can view his obituary at: http://obit.baue.com/obitdisplay.html?id=544343&listing=Current

Sorry, I still do not know how to make that a clicky so if someone wants to they can or just copy and paste.

The memorial service is at Baue funeral home in St.Charles (off of Cave Springs Rd). It's on Saturday May 31st, beginning at noon and ending at 3 PM with an open microphone forum. There is also planning for an after hours social function but nothing has been set up as of yet. Futher details should be available on Baue's Funeral home website later today.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Check out this thread on another forum that has published a poem written by Steve. It's very moving. As I read the poem, I wonder when he wrote it, but there's no date. One poster makes reference to having read it about a week before Steve passed on. I wonder if he wrote it that very recently. It's almost like he knew it was his time to go.

http://www.smilinjack.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001210

He was a great guy. One of the nicest people at Quantum. I can remember him being friendly enough to talk to me the first time I ever went out to the dz. I've never forgotten him for that.

EDIT: Actually, I just found a post on the web that credits Steve for having written this poem for a colleague that passed away several years ago:

http://or2.tripod.com/Jim_McGheeTribute.txt