Breezejunky

Our friend, Ahmed Kotb

We lost an absolutely incredible guy today. It's never easy but it's so shocking when it's someone like this.
In this picture he fell victim to my famous Black Russians. I assumed he was passing the drink around when the first one I poured him was gone so fast. When I saw him with an empty glass the second time, and I hadn't seem him sharing I said "Ahmed! It's a sipping drink! He just giggled away and said "I don't sip!"
The photo was taken on my cell so you can't really see how red he was but he had all of us in stitches with his giggling!
This is just too sad

I sit here staring at my keyboard, still hoping that this is just one of those terrifying dreams that you have trouble waking up from....
There were many of us there with you Ahmed...most of us crying and praying at the same time. We wouldn't leave. One thought was universal...Not you...It couldn't be. The safest, most focused and responsible person on the DZ. The healthiest...the most current...the one that most of us wished we could emulate...
Rachel was with you to the end, and Gary wasn't far behind. Jeff led the rest of us in trying to keep our little piece of the world from crumbling...you would have been proud.
The emergency crews worked so hard...they wouldn't give up either...so many others were holding you...talking to you...asking you to hang on...
The final news from the hospital felt like what little justice was left in the world was gone. If it could happen to you, what hope was there for anybody?
I wish there were a way to bring you back. The world needs more people like you...not less.
We miss you already...Blue Skies Ninja...

Copied from Incidents:

As we all know, bad new travels fast, and it is unbelievable sadness that on behalf of Skydive SWOOP in Ontario Canada, that I am here to report, that a good friend and skilled skydiver has succumbed to his injuries as a result of a hard landing suffered at approximately 9:30am this morning.

After an uneventful hop'n'pop and initial canopy flight, Ahmed miscalculated his final decent to a crosswind landing, and heavily struck the grass landing area. Ahmed landed feet-knees-head which rendered him immediatley unconcious and unresponsive.

Ahmed was a very likable person, and had an intense passion for many adventure sports. He has made many friends in the RW community in Canada and in the US, most recently at a bigway RW event in ZHills.

We are all still extremely upset at this time, I'm sure other details will be forthcoming. Please no speculation or conjecture, Ahmed was never a fan of that.

Ahmed, I miss you already.
I can't believe I was there for your first...
...and I was there for your last.

It's not right that you're gone.

GB

There will be a Memorial BBQ at Skydive SWOOP Saturday May 3rd beginning at 6PM - jumping, dinner, campfire please let all your friends and Ahmed's friends know - I share all of Gary's views and this will be a huge impact on all that read this email.

Blue Skies my ninja friend.

~Jeff

He was a teacher, mentor, and friend to many. He will be deeply missed by all those who knew him. This is a great loss to the skydiving community, and I'm still in shock over this news.

You will always be remembered Ahmed. Always.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

What bad news to hear. He was such a great guy was talking to him just a few weekends ago about geting involved in big ways he was so looking forward to. Was such a positive person he'll greatly missed.

Blue Skies
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I began skydiving last October. I never met Ahmed but he's jumped at my DZ, and many of the friends I've made there over the last few months knew him well. This is the first contribution I've made to the Blue Skies section... I hope it's my last.

My most sincere condolences to Ahmed's family and friends.

BSBD.

:(

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Well, the Memorial for Ahmed is over. It truly showed how deeply he touched those who knew him. The chapel was filled far past capacity and overflowed into all the adjoining rooms. Ahmed often kept the parts of his life separate, but tonight all those parts came together to share their memories with his family. Along with a large contingent of skydivers were co-workers and many members of his Aikido dojo. His cousin and brother listened to many different happy memories of those whose lives were touched by him, but they all told the same story...Strength, honour, dedication, honesty, integrity , smiles, mischief, and a HUGE heart. So many tears, but many happy thoughts and memories too. The night even seemed to heal some old wounds that, in retrospect, lack the teeth to stand against what Ahmed stood for...I hope it lasts.
Learn from Ahmed...not just from his passing, but also his life. He packed more living into his 35 years than most will in twice the time...he never stopped living, he never wasted time. He wanted to experience it all, but never at the expense of others. He lived and loved and cared without ever showing hate or anger.
Goodbye Ninja...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Reposted fromRe: [GaryBrown] Our friend, Ahmed Kotb
BASED ON THE WEATHER FORECAST WE ARE MOVING THE BBQ TO SATURDAY MAY 10TH...

I AM SORRY FOR THIS - BUT WE FEEL OUR ALTERNATIVE LOCATION IS TOO SMALL.

AS WELL IT WILL GIVE PEOPLE MORE TIME TO GET EVERYTHING TOGETHER.

PLEASE LET EVERYONE KNOW
~Jeff

I'll never forget that smile and know it will cheer me up to remember it when a bigway just isn't going the way it should.

You'll live on in our memories.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

We lost an absolutely incredible guy today. It's never easy but it's so shocking when it's someone like this.

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread this time...my post in 'Incidents' got deleted so maybe it was in the wrong forum.

This is really sad news to hear. I jumped for awhile at SWOOP in the 1980's--my last jump there in 1986--so I didn't know Ahmed but have fond memories of SWOOP. A followup to my earlier message (also deleted) said this was SWOOP's first fatality in 28 years and that SWOOP is one of the safest DZ's in the world. That is my memory of SWOOP as well and it sounds like Ahmed was a safe skydiver as well--so it is quite a shock. I grieve for all those who have lost a close friend.

Best wishes to all at SWOOP. I see from SWOOP's website that there is still at least one familiar face from the 1980's jumping there!
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Tonight was Ahmed's memorial BBQ at the dz. It was another example of the love and respect felt for him by all that knew him. So many faces....Many familiar, So many more that weren't. One would have difficulty walking through the common area...I had to walk around. The hardest part for me was the slide show. That smile of his was ever-present. When the picture of him jumping with my father came up I laughed and cried. The best part was the incredible people that showed up to remember him. One of the highlights was T.K. up from Florida...perhaps the best example of the respect due him.
This gathering was a bit lighter...more happy memories than feelings of loss. There was much imbibing... Ironic, considering that he mostly abstained!!! :S
We all have one thing in common. We all miss you Ahmed. I will try not to feel sorry for myself because you are gone...

In this picture he fell victim to my famous Black Russians. I assumed he was passing the drink around when the first one I poured him was gone so fast. When I saw him with an empty glass the second time, and I hadn't seem him sharing I said "Ahmed! It's a sipping drink! He just giggled away and said "I don't sip!"
The photo was taken on my cell so you can't really see how red he was but he had all of us in stitches with his giggling!
This is just too sad

You are only as good as you think you are.