shermanator

Tom Flynn

"For those of you who knew Tom Flynn, but might not have been a friend of his on MySpace, here is a repost from his mother about the accident in Arizona. Tom was a great guy who'll be missed dearly....

My son Tom Flynn was killed by a drunk driver last night. The details can be found on this link from the Tucson Police Department.

http://tpdinternet.tucsonaz.gov/releases/media_read.asp?id=11903

I will post additional information here as we learn it.
Please keep us all in your prayers.

Lisa Renee Flynn

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=17023454"

MEMORIAL VIDEO
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Fly free Tom! one day we will jump again!

My heart goes out to his family and friends!

Elsinore will never be the same
"He wants to make sure God wants him to live. So he spends a lot of time asking. He brings himself close to the edge.. If God wants to take him, all he needs to do is blow." Dave Eggers

I did a search and found this on myspace.
http://vidsearch.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=21471522

What a horrible accident, he seems like he was a wonderful person. [:/]

The news said that the guy who hit them has two previous murder convictions that he got out of. There is a special hell for people like that....

take the time to appreciate the people around you.

The news said that the guy who hit them has two previous murder convictions that he got out of. There is a special hell for people like that....

That sucks. I didn't know Tom but if the news was correct the drunk has a "HABIT" of killing people. There's no reason for him to ever see daylight again.
My photos

My Videos

what a horrible tragedy, and he was so young... my deepest condolences to his family friends and loved ones - having just experienced a similar incident losing my uncle in march i would be more than happy to lend an ear or shoulder to cry on... god bless
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I am very sorry to hear about that, that sucks, so young, it always seemed to me that he was definitely having a blast on this earth, I am sure he still is where ever that might be. To be taken away like this is so random.
All my best to his tight team of friends at Elsinore and to his family.

Blues skies young man. :|

i did not know tom but jumped with him at chicks rock 2007 on a memorable 8-way hybrid.. we were both hangers and it was a jump i will never forget.. it was at 3 minutes in this video and he is the one dropping off as we let go at exactly the same time.

http://www.dropzone.com/videos/Compilations/2007_Year_in_Review_-_Pablo_99.html

fly free my friend and condolences to his family and friends..

i hope that MF driver never breathes fresh air again.>:(

dont let life pass you by

At sunset 17 November 2007, we took Tom up on his last skydive. N926MA was piloted by Karl Gulledge with 23 of his closest friends and family. The ash dive was primarily a 3 way base with Brandon Bletzacker, Phil Arca, and Melanie Curtis. Brandon had Tom's ashes while Phil and Melanie assisted in the release. There were also various jumpers with smoke canisters during freefall and canopy descent. Other friends participated by making tandem skydives. For myself, I had the honor of taking Tom's mom on her first skydive. We had no video, but yet had Tom in our thoughts during the freefall. Last out, I hesitated at the door as we banked towards the coast and the setting sun. I'm not even sure what was going through my mind, but yet smiled and told Lisa, "Here we go!" I made my exit count and arched, still watching the sun going down. I pitched the drogue, gave Lisa a "thumbs up" and made a slow left turn, taking in the beauty of the earth from above. I stopped with a heading towards the setting sun and thought of Tom...

(He was one of my AFF students, along with Brandon and Phil. I did his A License Check dive. I watch the kids progress into good free fliers, leaving me high as I corked. He used my spare rig, while his was being repacked. I borrowed his gear for some demo jumps. Earlier this year I had the pleasure of being his Coach Course Evaluator. Tom and his buds have come a long way.)

...I take a peek at my altimeter, just as my Neptune is reminding me and I take Lisa's left hand so she can see the altimeter. Just then I remember she is wearing Tom's altimeter. She reaches back with her right hand and I guide it to the drogue release. I feel a slight trap door effect and #11 opens up smoothly, on heading, still towards the setting sun. I turn towards the DZ and see some smoke canisters still emitting what is left. I offer Lisa the toggles and have her steer a course towards the DZ where her family awaits. As we fly, I notice a kind of mist in the air, and I knew Tom was there.

(As we make our descent, I tell Lisa a little about myself. Just as Tom, I was a Midshipman while in college. Although he was a Marine Option, we often spoke about similar experiences. In a way, I lived vicariously through what he was now going through, and what I have in the past. Tom would have made a good officer and leader.)

As we make it into the pattern I take control of the toggles and set it down right by the others. Just then my emotions take over as I hug Lisa and Tom's sister in a group hug. The rest of the family comes over and I quietly gather up the canopy, while trying to hide my emotions and act professional. It was difficult, and could not hide the tears, even after all the hugs.

We will miss you Tom Flynn. My best skydive was with you and your mom. Semper Fi.

Shark out.

Mark, that was awesome........ one of the best jumps I've ever been on, honestly. It couldn't possibly have gone better.... perfect exit with B and Phil and Tom..... Tommy Boy wanted out early, so the guys released him about 10 grand.......... it took about 2000-3000 feet for all of Tom to get flyin'...... then Phil, B, and I closed up the belly star and punched a SWEET sit round...... then we broke it and as our dytters went off B and I got one last Feeg 2-way...... all I have to say is HELL YES. Everyone was in the landing area as we landed, swooped right behind Mr. Steak through the red smoke billowing from the canister on the ground....... it was bada**, just as it should have been....... oh so very Feeg. Tom, I love you, Life's Edge baby..... Feeg for life. xooxx Mel

Mark, that was such a beautiful and meaningful post. Thank you for writing it. I'm up late working on lesson plans, and I don't know why I thought to look for this thread, tonight.

I didn't personally know Tom. However, I had seen his familiar face around the DZ, and I had heard of his passing away several months ago. It's so sad that someone so young and full of potential had to leave at a time, when his life was just getting started in so many ways. May he live on always in his friends hearts.