skyflychris

Washington tragedy

Well said Jen, I hope they all take your advise.
Karen I love yous guys and am thinking of you and giving you all my best. Lena you guys toooo..

Love and Blues and No Wind Days for All the Friends and Families!

lt
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

Karen those are Great pictures of Phil and Cecil.

When I got my first pieing (I knew what was going on), but Phil was the decoy....."hey, can you come help me move the plane back and fourth"....So, I agree knowing what was going to happen. Once we get out in the open, who do you think was the first one to sneak up behind me with the biggest plate of whipped cream.....Cecil. He made it a point to tell me after I got cleaned up...."you know I was the first one there..." with that big smile on his face.

Ralph is also standing right there capturing it all on video with his cell phone as well.

It's a huge loss for all.

They are missed deeply!

I never knew anyone who took to flying sky high so fast like our Michelle. She was ready go go on her second jump the minute she hit the ground. Her Mom and I are proud that she found her "family" in the skies above Idaho and Washington. We met the families of those lost at White Pass and we give thanks for the support we have all recieved. We especially appreciate the comfort we got from Erin and Amber. Thank you ladies. God sent you to us Tuesday morning. We love you all.

Thanks, tom... glad you were able to meet some of these friends during you tour-of-torture at LP... ;) come back next summer so we can go play... (I'll wear the clear suit, for you and for Phil)
Once you visit Skydive Lost Prairie
Your heart will never leave.

Boogie with us... www.skydivelostprairie.com

I learned to jump at Snohomish. Cecil was the guy on the radio talking me down when I was a student. I met Michelle for the first time this year at manifest, Lando packing parachutes, bsing with Casey and asking him about freeflying over a coke. I keep seeing their faces. I don't jump often at Snohomish but I enjoyed every minute with these wonderful people.

Goodbye. :(

Benjamin

Our love and our prayers go out to you in this tough time. Know that Michelle will be flying with every skydiver who jumps, and every bird who flies. Please keep your eyes to the skies, and know that she is up there watching and loving you. Next time a leaf floats by, she will be there in spirit to soften the pain for you
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Hello all, our friends in Snohomish, Shelton, Star . . . Hello to all the family.

It is hard to believe that a week has already passed. We had been watching closely from here at Lost Prairie. . . hoping for good news. But sadness and tragedy is once again a part of 2007.

Phil was our primary pilot last season. He was a very good, safe pilot. Several on the Caravan had been here and enjoyed the Boogie this summer. The others were friends to meet in the future.

It is hard to believe that it has been five months since our loss last May. Through our tears and anguish, one thing kept us uplifted. That was, and still is, the tremendous support and love from the extended skydiving family. Shortly after the loss of our five friends in the crash of 71T, we received an outpouring of hundreds of e-mails, phone calls, and cards. Some were from friends that we had not heard from in 30+ years; others from people we did not know. And, overwhelming strength from those close at hand. We are still receiving calls and e-mails. All help to ease the pain. This support helps us to keep going. It is what makes it possible to carry on. It helps to lighten the weight of each breath. The healing process is long and seemingly unending. One step at a time; one day at a time. There will be no day when you will say, "I'm glad that's over". Healing is a lifelong event.

Realize that everyone on board the Caravan died in body only. Their spirits now soar. See them in the clouds; see them in the stars. What better way to end this life then in the pursuit of passion? Celebrate the fact that every one of them did just that. Find strength in the power of the human spirit to carry on. This earth is just a way-point along the route of existence.

From Lost Prairie, to all of you, we pass on and share the positive energy that we received in our times of grief. Words cannot make the pain go away. Hold close to your hearts the love that you are feeling from those around you. You cannot change the past but you can make the future a better place to be. Rely on each other. You will find comfort and solace there.

HUG YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TODAY. TELL THEM THAT YOU LOVE THEM. THEY COULD BE GONE IN AN INSTANT.

Throughout these past five plus months, I have often written that though my heart aches, I know Joel's spirit soars. Now my heart aches for each of the Washington families, just as it has for David, Troy, Jenny and Kyle's loved ones. Each of these strong men and women touched so many lives--their spirits are strong, and we will be sustained by their love each time we pause to listen from our hearts to their love for us, and experience remembrances of our love for them. Their spirits soar.

Someone wrote in an earlier post "don't be afraid to reach out", and that is so very true. Each word, kind thought, prayer, every letter & e-mail counts as time marches on through this sorrowful journey. Our family sends our deepest condolences and we will be in touch with you to extend our support.

Everything changes; nothing is lost. Please know our loved ones now have Blue Skies Forever.
Fondly, Joel's Mom
Dropzone observer since August 5, 1999 when my son Joel Atkinson first jumped at Lost Prairie for his 18th birthday.

My heart feels broken and empty for the families and friends of those recently lost. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Look to those around you for strength and courage to face the days ahead. I do understand your pain and I want to tell you that the days will get brighter with time.

I thought this post was very well written and very well stated. I could empathise and relate to much of the first part and agreed wholeheartedly with the last part. One thing I even thought of to myself while reading some of the posts was that everyone on that plane died doing something they loved. In some way or another, they loved what they were doing. Skydivers and pilots don't choose to fly because they have to or they hate it. Sometimes it gets so depressing and heartbreaking to think about how much life they had left to live. I remember feeling very angry at the fact that my friend Robert who was close to 22 was on our otter that crashed ... He was between a friend and a younger brother and I just remember not only feeling overwhelming sadness for him and the rest of our friends, but I also remember being very mad. Mad that he was so young and had so much life to live.

But Skyflychris is so right when he said what a better way to end this life than in the pursuit of a passion? No one and I mean no one loved skydiving more than Robert. And what would Robert's life have been like without skydiving? A hell of a lot more boring I can tell you that. I've been on some of those juicy AFF jumps with him. ;) But skydiving was part of what built Robert's character.

It was like the Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin who died pursuing his passion from the freak accident of a stingray puncturing his heart. Is it a loss? Well yeah it is but if he had never been the Crocodile Hunter than his life and those touched by him would be so completely different.

The spirits of the ten people on that airplane will always live in our minds and will always represent enigmas to us. They died totally unexpectedly doing something they loved and their fate was out of their control for the most part. In other words, their fate was not the only thing determined by their passion, their life and who they were inside were also determined by their passion.

There will be ranges of emotions and it will take time. It is true though that time does heal all wounds. It may not make them go away completely, some wounds are deeper than others and some have deeper scars, but we must not fail to see that death is a huge large part of life. Just like birth, it is the inevitible that we all must face. Our time is limited and it isn't always about how much time we have but how we used and spent it.

I know it doesn't always help the living to ease their pain hearing and/or reading these things. I am not the most religious person in the world, that is for sure. But lately, I have been praying for friends and loved ones ... and I will be sure to include the families and friends of those lost in this terrible tragedy in my future prayers too.

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Here's the memorial page that appeared in this month's Parachutist. Remembering you guys always.

http://ennasirk.com/n430aMemorial.jpg

Still thinking of you all a year later.

I have been thinking about this incident alot this week esp with the Star Boogie coming up. I didn't know any of the jumpers but it is one of the incidences that has definitely affected me. I had the pleasure of meeting Michelle's mom and sister at Lost Prairie this year. My prayers are with all of the victim's famililes and friends this week.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Tomorrow's two years. Thinking of all the friends and family up in Washington who are remembering at the mountain.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Three years ... how'd that happen so fast? Thinking of all my friends up in the Northwest today.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke