freeryde13

practice plf?

the other day I landed kind of hard . thermal over the tarmac dropped about 10 - 15 feet . I should have plf'd but didn't . I realize that I don't believe in the plf or it definately doesn't come to mind to do it ..... or it's not instinctive or something .

I'm thinking I should practice them while landing .Is that safe .... is it safe to practice a plf at un braked speed? is there any technique or regimin for practicing plfs . ..... ( on the ground or off a chair I do them more than fine)

thanks

people see me as a challenge to their balance

I don't know where you jump, but if there's an old-timer there who used to teach in the 70's or 80's, they can help you.

Or the guy who went through military training.

You can most definitely practice PLFs on the ground >:(. We used to use a 4' platform into pea gravel; particularly out-of-shape looking people we might threaten with doing it off something higher (top of the DZ van), just to let them know what the landing was going to be like.

Feet, knees, thighs, hips, across back to opposite shoulder -- that gives your whole body the opportunity to roll over (dissipating energy). It's not hard to end up getting up from such a motion.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We did do it off the top of the van! B| Okay top of the pickup cab. Backwards. We did ground, hood, cab forward, backward and both right and left.

And walked up hill both ways throught the snow to do it!:P;)

Most students were brused after the first jump. Not from the jump but from the practice.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

We did do it off the top of the van! B| Okay top of the pickup cab. Backwards. We did ground, hood, cab forward, backward and both right and left.

And walked up hill both ways throught the snow to do it!:P;)

Most students were brused after the first jump. Not from the jump but from the practice.;)

Well of course, but OUR DZ practiced this while the pickup was going 20mph down the taxiway to simulate a bad downwind landing. :P
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Best to start practicing PLFs on soft grass, with a grumpy old, grey-bearded, military surplus jumpmaster.
If he is worth his salt, he will demonstrate the technique a couple of times, explain the theory and start with you on your knees with him holding your wrists overhead and slowly lowering you to the side as you roll.
After a couple or three PLFs from your knees, he will move you up to PLFs from a standing position.
The difference between a good instructor and a burned out one is that the good instructor will remind you repeatedly about how to improve your technique.
Before you know it, you will be gleefully PLFing from a 3 foot tall platform.

the other day I landed kind of hard . thermal over the tarmac dropped about 10 - 15 feet .

Just curious if you normally fly over the tarmac? Was it concrete or asphalt? Was it a hot day?

We have a strip of asphalt where I jump and I am in the very early stages of high peformance landings. The other day it was about 105 outside when I crossed the asphalt and the bottom fell out. Fortunately for me I have received coaching and was unscathed. I did receive further education though regarding air density over different kids of surfaces. I'll let one of the more educated folks take it from here.

Hope didn't break yourself,

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I have always had difficulty with the PLF the way it's taught. Not that it's wrong - nope, not at all - but because over my life I've ingrained a different way to displace and absorb the energy from an impact.

I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, have dabbled in Karate and Judo, was a competitive figure skater and springboard diver. Most of my training has to do with forward motion - i.e. not falling backwards, rather taking the energy and using it forward (which is the way my body was going mostly).

I remember when, during AFF, I was taught how to PLF. I couldn't master it, although the feet/legs were together. So I showed my instructor "my" way, which was a motion roll from Tae Kwon Do. He approved it, and I used it often and regularly. When I switched DZs, and did my first PLF there, I was called over by the school and asked "what the fuck was that?? Don't you know how to PLF?" So I showed them...and they were all right with it.

The times I've been seriously injured on landing were the times when I couldn't/didn't PLF - once breaking my tailbone (very, very late flare...like, non-existent), and one day while using rental gear that had bad brakes (again, no flare, even though hands were down all the way...).

I suppose what I'm getting at is find a way to fall which is both acceptable (i.e. doesn't break body parts) but also is "natural" for you. If you can't get help from the guys at the DZ (which is the best place to get it...), try a local martial arts training center. 1/2 hour spent with one of the masters/senior students will get you the basics of a roll, but it's up to you to practice and perfect it.

I scare people regularly with my PLFs, because they look so weird. But they work very well for me (I can't land very well).

Above all, learn how to PLF effectively, instinctively, and without second guessing.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

it was asphalt and wind blew me there and I'm allright thank you .

I have done the plfs from objects on the groung and I will look for an instructor to ask about this as well . ... but my main question is if it is safe to do the plfs while landing and at what speed ( full breaks/flare , half breaks/flare , no breaks/flare ) is it safe to practice at .

people see me as a challenge to their balance

the other day I landed kind of hard . thermal over the tarmac dropped about 10 - 15 feet . I should have plf'd but didn't . I realize that I don't believe in the plf or it definately doesn't come to mind to do it ..... or it's not instinctive or something .

I'm thinking I should practice them while landing .Is that safe .... is it safe to practice a plf at un braked speed? is there any technique or regimin for practicing plfs . ..... ( on the ground or off a chair I do them more than fine)

thanks

I do not think there is enough time spent on PLF's during the first jump course.

I would start on the ground with a small hop. it is important to have someone who knows how to PLF watch you so you do not get into a bad habit, as we all know bad habits are hard to break.

Once you have mastered them you could practice from milk crate or chair. I was in the military and know how to PLF very well and it has saved me broken bones and allowed me to walk off the DZ more then once.

Just my 2 cents.....

:)