faulknerwn

BSBD Eric Burn

Only a few of you out there will know Eric, but he was an awesome skydiver for only 19 jumps and will be dearly missed. He and 2 buddies started jumping at my dz about 3 weeks ago and I think I was on every AFF jump with Eric. He always had a huge grin on his face and loved life. He and his buddies were at the dropzone practically every day after their first jump. They all were quickly addicts.

He had bought a rig just last week, and packed it himself and jumped it for the first 4 times on Friday. His pack jobs all opened beautifully, and I had the honor of being on his final skydive on Friday, We all went to dinner, and then later that night he was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident.

Even though I only knew him for a very short time, he will be sorely missed.

And for all those CRWdogs out there, Eric and all of his buddies did become official Toadsuckers one night, (you guess which way!) but I never had a chance to get him an official card.

BSBD,

Wendy

News story here.

In case it disappears from the web:
Fort Hood soldier killed in Saturday accident identified

Monday, August 6, 2007

FORT HOOD, Texas - Fort Hood officials have released the name of a Soldier, after next-of-kin had been notified, who died on Saturday, Aug. 4, from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident on West Fort Hood.

Pvt. Eric Daniel Burn, 21, of Kansas City, Mo., an Infantryman, entered the military in September 2006. He was assigned to the 163rd Military Intelligence Brigade, since April 2007.

Burn, at the time of the incident, was riding a motorcycle on West Fort Hood. He was transported to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Private Burn’s awards and decorations include the National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism (Service) Medal and Army Service Ribbon.

From http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2007/08/06/fort_hood_soldier_killed_in_sa.html:

Fort Hood soldier killed in Saturday accident identified
Monday, August 6, 2007, 04:28 PM

From III Corps & Fort Hood Public Affairs Office:

FORT HOOD, Texas - Fort Hood officials have released the name of a Soldier, after next-of-kin had been notified, who died on Saturday, Aug. 4, from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident on West Fort Hood.

Pvt. Eric Daniel Burn, 21, of Kansas City, Mo., an Infantryman, entered the military in September 2006. He was assigned to the 163rd Military Intelligence Brigade, since April 2007.

Burn, at the time of the incident, was riding a motorcycle on West Fort Hood. He was transported to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Private Burn’s awards and decorations include the National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism (Service) Medal and Army Service Ribbon.

Most people who saw this as they were reading the local newspaper probably didn't take the time to read past the headline but it was heartbreaking news for those of us who had the pleasure of spending an all-too-brief time with Eric at Skydive Temple, in Salado, TX.

Skydive Temple is close to Fort Hood, arguably the largest active Army base in the US, and among the DZ regulars and students are plenty of active-duty military. Eric and two close friends, all currently serving, came to the DZ, prepaid for the AFF course and got through it in a couple of weeks.

Kathleen (Skydivermom), her mom, and I went to the DZ on a recent Friday evening to spend the night so we could enjoy a full Saturday of jumping. We hung out with Eric, Willy and Mark and they all had an enthusiasm and love of the sport and life that made them a joy to be around. We spent the evening enjoying each others' company and laughing ourselves silly.

They were all fresh off student status and eager to jump but Willy was grounded with ear problems so Kathleen took Eric and I took Mark and we did some nice 2-ways. Eric and Mark were absolutely glowing from the jumps and it was obvious to both Kathleen and me that we were going to want to share a lot of time and a lot of jumps with these guys.

Kathleen's mom took plenty of pictures and I'm sure Kathleen will post them. We only got to spend 24 hours with Eric and that was not nearly enough.

My heart goes out to those he left behind. We miss him.

Walt

Eric was only in my life for a few hours, but I will never forget him. He provided me my first opportunity to give back to skydiving, and I had no idea it would be so rewarding. I had never jumped with a student until I jumped with him, and I can't describe the way his face just totally lit up in freefall.

It was our exchange after landing that really made an impression. He said to me "That was my best jump yet!" And I said "It's just beginning my friend." I really had no idea.:(

That just proves that we are only guaranteed this moment, so we may as well make the best of it. According to his mother, that's just what Eric did. She said he lived life to the fullest, and couldn't believe the army was paying him to do what he did. That's how much he loved serving our country.

Thanks, Eric, for helping me give back to this incredible sport, and for your service to our Country.

We will carry the torch for you by never forgetting how precious life is ....Blue Skies and Never Ending sunsets.

Here are a few of the wonderful pictures my mother took....Praise God she was there to take them.

Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I still don't know what to say. Our unit has been in the field all week, doing pre-planned training they decided to go on with to keep our minds off what happened. Most of our unit was there when Burn died, and the orange paint on the curb in the barracks parking lot is a painful reminder of that night.

I still can't make sense of how a man can live through 4 skydives in one day, while packing his own equipment for the first time, and then die in the parking lot infront of his home that same night. Me and him were joking around less than 5 minutes before he died on the drive home from the dropzone. I'm still numb, I can't believe it.

I still don't know what to say. Our unit has been in the field all week, doing pre-planned training they decided to go on with to keep our minds off what happened. Most of our unit was there when Burn died, and the orange paint on the curb in the barracks parking lot is a painful reminder of that night.

I still can't make sense of how a man can live through 4 skydives in one day, while packing his own equipment for the first time, and then die in the parking lot infront of his home that same night. Me and him were joking around less than 5 minutes before he died on the drive home from the dropzone. I'm still numb, I can't believe it.

Mark, why don't you and Willy come on out to the DZ tomorrow. Eric will be with you in spirit in the air tomorrow and he'll have that big grin on his face. Kathleen and I will be there and we'd love to hang out with you guys.:)
Walt

Mark,

I didn't read this post until today. I am so sorry you guys had to go through that. That is how fragile and precious life is....that we can be laughing and having a good time one minute, and in a blink of an eye one of us could be gone. That's all the more reason to cherish and enjoy every second. I belive you three guys did just that.

When I landed after my first jump yesterday, it made my day to see you and Willie! We had a FANTASTIC jump too! I'm proud to know you guys.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28