1 1
grimmie

April 22-1992

Perris Valley's N141PV crashed on take off...

We lost some great people that morning...many of them my friends.

Rowland Guilford
Chris Harrel
Geoffrey Anderson
Scott Border
Anthony Cabrera
Jaqui Downs
Larry Fatino
James Layne
John Mitchell
Christophe Ribet
Dwight Sanders
Dave Clarke
Rolondo Dajay
Ray Herder
'Kiwi" Henderson
Jacobus Strating

John M. taught me how to pack, hook up a canopy and how to look after your gear.

James L. taught me how to do RW, and he was a fantastic jumper already at 21. He had a strong after hours game also!

Geoffrey A. made me laugh.

Kiwi helped my 4-way skills.

Christophe was jumping that day because he snuck out to brush up his RW, we were doing an RW camp with his sister and some others the upcoming Saturday.

Jaqui always taught us safety, she was so cautious.

I did AFF with Scott B.

Larry F. was always smiling.

I miss jumping and hanging out at the Bomb Shelter with those guys. Tomorrow I will make some leaps and smile, for I had the opportunity to know them.

Be safe.
Buckle up and wear your lids.

many thoughts to them and their families.

Many thoughts to the survivors too, in my case to Jos, our friendly Dutch jumper who jumps not "much" but quite regularly at our DZ in Switzerland.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Damn, has it really been that long?

Every time I see the list of names I check for Dave Clarke and hope his name won't be on it, but of course it always is.

Dave was an old friend from Finger Lakes Skydiving in Ovid NY. We taught skydiving together, and he taught me to ski. Terrific guy. Still missed.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well,

Friends, it has been 15 years ago today that the Twin Otter crashed at Perris Valley, taking 16 lives and affecting many more for life. I remember that day, the smells, the sounds and even what I was wearing...

I wake up on this day every year and repeat the names of those we lost, grateful for the way they touched the people they knew. Grateful for the people that their passing brought into my life. I even say the names of those I did not know, understanding they too were special, somewhere, to someone. Oddly, even thier passing brought people I never would have met to me.

Here they are, for those of you that knew any of these fine people, take a moment to close your eyes and see their face, imortalizing them. Pass this email on to anyone you know was involved with these fine people in any way, so they can remember and know, 'Gone, But Not Forgotten'

If you know none of them, remember to tell those in your life who they are to you. Make a difference every day. I know each of my friends knew who they were to me, and it makes me very happy.

Geoffery Anderson
Jacqui Downs
Dave Clarke
Larry Fatino
John Mitchell

James Layne
Christophe Ribet
Scott Border
John 'KIWI' Henderson

Roland DaJay
Anthony Cabrera
Jacobus (Sjaak) Stratting
Ray Herder
Dwight Sanders
Chris Harrel
Rowland Guilford

I hope you, my friends alive today, know who you are to me.

Peace, and Love,

Jeanie Marie Schumacher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself.”

~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Thanks for posting this.

Yesterday, on my last jump, I did a hop and pop from altitude and flew down the side of a really big cloud, and looked at the rainbow around my shadow and thought of the people on the Otter that morning.

I'd been at Perris since the beginning of March to do the AFFICC, and some of the people we lost had been on that course with me, others had been on the dropzone, some had shared my 1000th dive with me.

Some memories, maybe correct, maybe embellished with time..

Scott was the 1st AFF Instructor to let me go on the main side, and gave me gentle, positive feedback on how to be better. Still an inspiration to this day.

Geoffery was such a massive talent. He cruised the AFF course in 4 eval dives - and that was back in the Don Yahrling days. I remember his bike, and the cream cheese bagels he ate every morning, and his long, blonde hair.

Jacqui, with her limp and her smiles seemed awake from early morning, and then worked in the bar till late, and yet never seemed sleep deprived.

Larry, always smiling, seemed too small and too old to be a Tandem master, and yet proved me wrong, day after day after day.

James (and the rest of Airmoves) made me just want to be better.

Dave, and his camera, and his Corvette. He seemed like he was on almost every load. He made me want to be a working skydiver, and still had the energy to share a beer at the end of the day.

Kiwi.. and falling off the bar stool one night at Silver Saddles, where the DC-3 had flown for an away weekend. (We colonials should stick together!)

I never knew the Tomscat guys very well, nor the pilots, nor the students, but still feel the same sense of loss when I think of them.

Blue Skies..

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I remember when Jaqui Downs made her first jump in Hawaii. The operation at Dillingham at the time (1982) had a wavier that stated FJC students could be put out using "jumbo PCs" and all students had to have a radio. The day she jumped the winds came up but she was put out anyhow. She was told "hold into the wind and you will be OK" She hit the runway and was dragged way the hell down. The skin from her right hip all the way down to her right ankle was gone. She was on crutches for a real long time as I recall. Most people with that as a first jump experience would have never come back. She was different. She hung out at the dropzone and eventually jumped again and was a regular. I always admired her for her courage. The kid never gave up. The last time I saw her was around Thanksgiving 1990. I had made a couple of jumps at Perris that day and I ran into her at the manifest. It had been 7 years since I last saw her I said "your living the dream" She agreed. Im not a very religious person, but if there is a heaven, I hope she is there and I hope shes still jumping. Blue skies Kiddo...

I remember when Jaqui Downs made her first jump in Hawaii. The operation at Dillingham at the time (1982) had a wavier that stated FJC students could be put out using "jumbo PCs" and all students had to have a radio. The day she jumped the winds came up but she was put out anyhow. She was told "hold into the wind and you will be OK" She hit the runway and was dragged way the hell down. The skin from her right hip all the way down to her right ankle was gone. She was on crutches for a real long time as I recall. Most people with that as a first jump experience would have never come back. She was different. She hung out at the dropzone and eventually jumped again and was a regular. I always admired her for her courage. The kid never gave up. The last time I saw her was around Thanksgiving 1990. I had made a couple of jumps at Perris that day and I ran into her at the manifest. It had been 7 years since I last saw her I said "your living the dream" She agreed. Im not a very religious person, but if there is a heaven, I hope she is there and I hope shes still jumping. Blue skies Kiddo...

grimmie

25 years ago today. It seems like just yesterday. I can still see all of their great smiles in free fall. Wonderful memories of some tremendous people.

Still think about it lots, truly a sad day. Lost many friends that day. BSBD all. Wow how time flys, seems like yesterday. Take care all.
Mick and family.

A sad day in the skydiving world. The copilot Chris Harrel flew for us in Tahlequah before heading to Perris.
It did and has affected many other lives. One that was close to me was Rex Harper. While he did not pass on PV, he blamed himself for not being there and in the right seat. He did lose his fight in his own way and lost his life not being able to get over it.

Rex was a good dude. I flew right seat with him a few times in the Otter way back in the day and he taught me about turbines.

Chris had just arrived at Perris. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him.

The memorial Saturday was a wonderful tribute as always.

I think about that day often, especially when I’m rolling down the same runway just like they were. Scott and I were Newbs together and I remember how impressed I was when he started doing camera, he was good. Then there was Jacqui, that gal always had a big smile and a bright greeting, we shared many jumps together.

At the memorial at the DZ they played the song “forever young” by Rod Stewart, I still get glassy eyed when I hear it.

Forever Young indeed.

(edited)

I missed being on that load by about 20 minutes.

Was attending community college in El Cajon and a fundamentals of solids exam convinced me to stay in school a bit later than planned.

Not real proud of it,  but I chose to get back in my car and go home rather than staying

blue skies.

craig

Edited by kleggo