PsychoBob

Blue Skies Johnny Mauney

Thanks for sharing those.

I thought about Johnny a lot this weekend. I taught a teammate of mine to fly a flag yesterday for a demo today. It reminded me of when Johnny gave me some pointers on how to do it the first time I flew one to get my PRO rating.

The client called me today just before the demo wanting the team to fly an additional flag in honor of a one of the polo players that died during practice a couple of weeks ago. The flag was his team's flag.

It was a great demo, I'm sure Johnny was smiling and watching.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

This was posted on the rodriguez brothers web site.

Pepe Rodriguez was poking around the operation free fall website. (april 27th) and found the photo.

Just about a month late, I don't go the RB website that much.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Johnny got 2 jumps this weekend:

First beach jump of the boogie Friday and the sunset jump Saturday. :)
Now forever in his two favorite places. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Johnny got 2 jumps this weekend:

First beach jump of the boogie Friday and the sunset jump Saturday. :)
Now forever in his two favorite places. :)

In spirit he got to perform all the disciplines he practiced too.

The "air" during the boogie was one of a sort of peacefulness too.

Here is a little bit of what I wrote on my MySpace page about our memorial jump. I thought that others may like seeing it!

So this was going to be our first year without him and for those of us that live so far away this was when reality would hit that he really was gone! I was told that we would be doing a memorial jump for him and I thought that I was emotionally prepared for it. We started dirt diving the jump Saturday evening. We were to do the jump on sunset load over the beach on Saturday. During the dirt dive our dz owner, MD, said a few words about Johnny... the reality started to set in. We load up the airplane and on the ride to altitude his Rodriguez brothers started singing the Rodriguez song for El-Beachio Rodriguez, Johnny's Rodriguez name. And my tears started coming.

It is so hard for me to belive that the gentle spirit that we knew as El-Beachio or Johnny will never be on the plane with us again. I will never get to see his forever smile as we stand in the door looking out over the gulf shore before exit. I will never again get to hang out with him at the Bama while he drinks bushwackers and we share skydiving stories and his love for beach jumps just radiates off of him.

Then we get to altitude. It is a very somber spirit in the plane as you know everyone has memories of Johnny flooding their thoughts. We get to the spot and all file out as planned. We had all different types of jumpers on this jump. Big guys, small girls, some in jumpsuits some in street clothes... even one with a prothstetic leg. But the formation came together flawlessly. MD gives us the signal we all break grips and they release Johnny's ashes. I had no idea a jump could be so moving! We all say our goodbyes and track away and pull our parachutes. I cried and said goodbye the whole canopy ride down. We all landed nicely in front of the Bama. I know that Johnny would have been so proud and happy with how it all went!

I know that Johnny is in heaven celebrating with the angels. But I am going to be selfish and admit that I wish we had more time with him! I will always miss him. This weekend was so tough, everytime I saw a guy wearing a frap hat like Johnny used to wear I would for a second think, "Oh look, it's Johnny!"

Then Sunday evening his friends brought down a tribute video they had put together for him and we watched it. Johnny was a great man. The type of guy that treated everyone has a best friend. He is truly one of those people that nobody has anything negative to say about. A truly gentle and sweet spirit. He will be missed by all that were blessed to get to know him!

So, in the end this Memorial Day weekend turned out to truly be a Memorial weekend for a great friend! I was talking to my Mom about it and I told her that this weekend was very hard in some ways but also very great. My Mom just said, "That's how life is, hard but great!" That is so very true! I wouldn't trade in one hard time for fear of losing all those great memories!

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

That is moving. Ithink you have a real talent for writing. There were several memorial jumps I didn't get to do them all because several groups on the same load were doing memorial jumps. However, I can see that jump as if I were in it.

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks for sharing Danielle. It gets easier as time goes by, remembering Johnny brings more smiles now than just tears. As you put it, I know where he is now - with angels - that helps me smile.
Ashley Martin

"Corazon" Rodriguez
PMS #462

To leapdog...and all of Johnny's friends
I am Johnny's little sister, Beth. I am not sure how to thank all of you for changing my brother's life as much as you have. I am overwhelmed at all of your posts, and this poem in this post as well. I am broken, and can never be repaired by his loss. I even had a dream that he died one week prior to the day he died. Of course, it was not the exact circumstances that actually killed him, but it was the most vivid and the most "to the point" dream that I have ever had. The day I received the phone call here in Florida (yes, I live near Zephyrhills); I knew that morning when they called to say he had pneumonia, that he would die that day. I don't know how, but there are forces at work that will always be a mystery. I do think the dream was to prepare me somehow, even though I didn't know it then.
I published a novel in June of 06, and the brother character in the book was modeled after him, (Johnny used to tell me that the Big Green Tomato was coming to get me when I was little, so I dedicated the book to all those big green tomatoes hiding in the woods, but it was actually dedicated to him). Anyway, I was glad that I got that book out before he died; he was an inspiration for a lot of it. We were very close and I miss him horribly. I am having a very difficult time accepting this loss, in fact, I had no appetite for a while, and had a seizure about two weeks after, they say was brought on by grief.
I am doing better physically now, but I feel as if I have had my heart ripped out. It does warm my soul to see there are so many others who miss him as well. I guess that sharing these stories are the only way that his family and friends will get through this somehow. I hope that someday, his son, my dear nephew, will have the strength to hear them as well. I have dedicated my newest book to both Johnny and Parker. I know that Father’s day is going to be a hard one for the Parkman.
I feel as if I am an intruder in your forum, as I have never actually jumped, but I have been with Johnny several times when he did, and watched him in awe.
I would like to share this poem with all of you, which was read at the funeral:

For Johnny
From his little sister
April 5, 2007

Twins; although not by birth
We are connected, and made quite a pair.
The big Brother, and the little sister,
O’ Captain, My Captain….I followed you everywhere.

Cereal, pancakes, Saturday morning cartoons
Sledding down an icy hill and waiting for Santa’s sleigh,
Spending summer days at the river, climbing trees that were too tall
These are a few of a thousand memories that cruel fate can’t take away.

The forts we built deep in the field
Shined bright of Carolina red clay,
And weren’t we a sight, later that night…
Before we washed all the mud away!

Endless days spent on top of the playhouse,
Eating little green apples without a care.
And even though those days will never come again,
I can close my eyes, smile…and clearly see you there.

Our playhouse is long gone now,
Gleaming white paint chipped; wood rotten.
But the fun times that we had there,
Will never be forgotten.

When you turned into a teenager,
As children tend to do,
I was now just a pest and an aggravation…
But you kept me around, and let me be a little sister too.

And as I grew into my own teen years,
I found no place to fit in.
So you took me along with you into your world;
And shared your knowledge, your life and your friends.

And when we came upon mischief,
Of one kind or another…
You kept me out of harm’s way:
The world’s greatest big brother.

I know you are with Daddy now,
And I’m sure he missed you so.
But I still wish, my brother, and dearest friend,
That you didn’t have to go.

Besides your music and feats of bravery,
You leave a legacy larger than life.
Your marvelous gift to us my brother,
Is a fine son, two beautiful daughters, a grandchild and a loving wife.

Your life affected so many.
They are all here asking… “God, why did he have to go?”
We will try to remember that there is a reason…
It is just not for us to know.

Your little magician’s assistant,
I will always be.
And you will live on forever in my heart,
No matter how far you may seem.

You are my big brother, my Nonnie, my hero…
And that will never change.
A large chunk of me went with you;
But a big piece of you, inside me, still remains.

Goodbye Johnny….I will always love you.
Beth.

2007 is almost over. Soon we would have read Johnny giving a count for how many days were left until the Emerald Coast Beach Boogie.

He was in Lake Wales during the 100 way CRW record. I swear I could have felt his presence after I broke from the formation until I landed. And before that in September at the nationals when the team was being awarded.

Thanks for sending me a Thanks on Verterans Day on Johnny's behalf Lizzie. Usually only my Mother and Johnny would do that.

This Friday (Dec 18) I'm traveling home for the holidays and will miss him blowing up my cell phone asking how far along I am in my drive. He was always excited I was coming back just as I was to come back to visit.

Still miss you Brother.