PsychoBob

Blue Skies Johnny Mauney

This is a sad day, we lost Johnny Mauney yesterday from what looks like complications from pneumonia. Some of you may know him on dz.com as John4455 or his Rodriguez name El Beechio.
I've heard his wish was to be cremated and his ashes scattered at Florabama. He really loved you guys and your dropzone, I just talked to him this weekend and he was so excited for the ECSC boogie.
Corazon

Johnny you were the nicest, most fun-loving, easy going, laid back and always smiling friend of mine. I'll miss your jokes, your sense of adventure, and every time I make a beach jump into the FloraBama you will be in my thoughts. We are going to miss you but be assured we will "kick it up a notch" in your honor.

Blue Skies my friend
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

PsycoBob-
Thanks. I was going to wait until after services to post anything, but maybe I'm wrong as usual.

Johny was my tandem instructor on my first and third jump a little over 6 years ago. He also, along with Pyaso (Chuck Hammond), got me going to the ECSC Beach boogie. Last year he celebrated my 500th jump with me over that beach in a two stack with the American flag. Just a year and a half before that he did my first CRW jmp with me and got me into the only disciline I do now.
On verterans day he was the only one to call and say thank you for serving.
After I moved to florida from NC/SC he was one of the few that kept in touch. He was always glad and excited when I came home to visit as I was to visit with him when I went back to NC/SC.

There was never ever a time that Johnny wasn't an easy going well loved individual. I always felt that I would do anyhting for that unselfish close friend of mine.
This is very hard for me to write and anyone who knows me, knows that I don't open up well at all. So I will stop know before I loose it.

He will be missed more than I can speculate.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Hey Bro,

When I got the news today I thought about the last jump we all made together at Chester. It was the one where Johnny got hit in the head in freefall and was knocked unconscious and in a flat spin on his back. You dove down, got him on his belly, shook him and got him to dump. We landed without injury but Johnny had a concussion. That was a scary jump and I hate it was the last one I made with Johnny.

He thought the world of you and all of his friends at Chester and ECSC.
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

I remember that jump. I gave him some "coffee" (beer in a styrofoam cup) to calm him and the guy that hit him down. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I think we should split up Johnny's ashes over the beach.

1/2 to a belly jump ash dive.

And the other half split between
A wingsuit flock.
A CReW jump with flags and maybe smoke.
A few scattered in the sand at the Florabama bar itself.

We'll miss you El Beechio. I'm glad I got to see that smile one last time Saturday. :)

Johnny was always positive and excited about life. I used to tease Johnny on his amazing life of SCUBA Diving and skydiving. He loved to do CRW, wingsuit flying, four way and most of all being with his friends. I can't say I ever remember Johnny ever being upset about anything. He treated everyone consistently the same.

If there is anything that I remember most about Johnny was his demeanor and his eyes. He always seemed to be very gentle, was never in a rush and made time for you. His eyes gave you the sense of an old heart and a caring spirit. He loved skydiving, but most of all he loved being with his friends. He spoke lovingly of his family and especially his kids.

Skydive Carolina will not forget you and neither will your students.
As we reflect on your life, we will celebrate and be glad we knew you.
You've left us with the legacy of how we should all treat each other - with kindness and respect.

God Bless Johnny.
Don't Miss CarolinaFest 2012!
http://www.carolinafestboogie.com
May 29 - June 3, 2012

I think part of his ashes should be relaesed on a Scuba trip in the gulf. I know he was trying to do that this year. [:/]

Thanks for the reminder James.

I am so very sorry D...I know how much Johnny meant to you and how close you two were:( You two have had awesome experiences in the sport together (your first tandem, RW, CRW, your 500th that you wanted ONLY Johnny on for an awesome beach jump)...hold on to all of those special memories. Hang in there...Wish I could offer more, but all I have is cyber Hugs of Comfort.

Sooo now for a funny story Johnny told on the "short bus" (Corazon and the Chester and ECSC folks will know what I mean) ride back to the dz from a Flora-Bama Beach Jump at the Memorial Day Boogie last year...Johnny was talking about his wife buying him a Speedo while on a trip and how embarrassed he was to wear it and gave a scenario of perhaps only wearing it in the back yard but not while mowing.:D He had a special innocence about him:$:)

Johnny....you will be missed![:/] I was sooo looking forward to learning CREW from you this Memorial Day and getting in some scuba time on Monday! Blue Skies my friend.............this has been a dificult year so far![:/]

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

http://www.heraldonline.com/110/story/15312.html

John Mauney Jr.

ROCK HILL -- Mr. John Wilbur Mauney Jr., 45, of 3266 India Hook Road, died Tuesday, April 3, 2007, at Piedmont Medical Center.
A memorial service will be 2 p.m. Friday, April 6, at Oakland Baptist Church, with the Rev. Robert Schrum officiating.

A native of Rock Hill, Mr. Mauney was the son of Joan Melton Mauney of Rock Hill and the late John Wilbur Mauney Sr. He worked as an instrument technician supervisor for City of Charlotte. He was a certified scuba diver, an avid skydiver and a member of the US Parachute Association. He attended Oakland Baptist Church.

Mr. Mauney is survived by his wife, Judith Ann Kimbrell Mauney of the home; son, John Parker Mauney of the home; daughters, Kaitlin Whitesell and husband, Jeremy of Rock Hill and Elizabeth Ann Harper of the home; father-in-law and mother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Gary Kimbrell; sisters, Kathy Adair of Catawba and Beth Porsolay of Tampa, Fla.; and one granddaughter, Alexis Whitesell.

The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Greene Funeral Home Northwest Chapel, 2133 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill.

The family requests memorials be made to Hospice Care of SC, 1230 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill, SC 29732.

For those who inquired on the RB site:
The funeral home and church are just off Cherry Rd and very close to downtown Rock Hill. There are The Station, McHales on Main St (Irish Pub), and El Cancun Mexican Restaurant all with in 5 minutes. All good restaurant/bars. McHales is probably the most group sitting, come and go, friendly.

My little house in the ghetto is still under remodeling so I have no furniture but can offer an air mattress if anyone needs.
There's Always Room for Jell-O!

Wow, I don't even know where to start... I met Johnny probably five or six years ago. I had just started jumping and I was driving the van for Emerald Coasts beach boogie. I would pick up the jumpers at the beach and take them back to the dz then head back to the beach to pick up more jumpers. I will always remember how Johnny and all of his group was my favorite group to get. They were so grateful and friendly!

Through the years I was always excited to get to see him and the reast of the Chester group every year. They are all like extended family that you only get to see once a year.

Johnny was by far the sweetest spirit! He was always fun, funny and caring! I'll never forget that first year he insisted that I do a jump with there group. Here I was such a newbie, maybe 20 jumps under my belt, still doing coach jumps, and he insisted that I go on an 8-way with them. It was the high point of my brand new skydiving career!

Johnny was just the type of person that treated everyone with respect and care! It didn't matter how well you knew him, you felt like you were a very close friend!

I can't imagine the beach boogie without his gentle smile, ocasional jokes and just all around fun and friendly personality! I know that I have spoken with others from our dz and he will be sorely missed by his Emerald Coast family!

I also believe that Johnny was a proud member of the Christian Skydivers Assoc. #485.

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

there were a ton of skydivers at the funeral home tonite, along with a lot of other folks, Ann kept saying how great it was to see all the skydivers, "oh gosh more skydivers, this is so wonderful"
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

there were a ton of skydivers at the funeral home tonite, along with a lot of other folks, Ann kept saying how great it was to see all the skydivers, "oh gosh more skydivers, this is so wonderful"

wow...thanks so much for sharing that...wish I could be there[:/] wishing you all a lot of comfort...

I remember how we used to call Johnny "stopwatch Johnny". I believe David Howard started his nickname because you could start packing your rig the same time as Johnny, turn your head to lay the main down on the floor, look back and Johnny was already closing his container! It was like he had stopped time with a stopwatch.
He'd pass by carrying his packed rig with a smile on his face and say, "I clicked the stopwatch!"
Ashley Martin

"Corazon" Rodriguez
PMS #462
  • Like 1

I'm back from my trip to say goodbye. I really do not do well in that environment. Anyway...

When I got the news today I thought about the last jump we all made together at Chester. It was the one where Johnny got hit in the head in freefall and was knocked unconscious and in a flat spin on his back. You dove down, got him on his belly, shook him and got him to dump. We landed without injury but Johnny had a concussion. That was a scary jump and I hate it was the last one I made with Johnny.

I remember that jump like it just happened. It was one of my favorites because I was able to be there to help one of my closest friends out. Even if it was because of something that was considered bad.

The services were very well put together. It is amazing the lives he touched and how he touched them. I knew he played guitar but I didn't know he was in an 80's Hair metal band. It was really very good music.

His mother never liked him jumping. In a letter that had to be read by someone else, she addressed the skydivers and said for us to do one more for him. I'm pretty sure the word is in two weeks at Chester.

There will be another jump in his honor -so help me God- at Emerald Coast also. Probably more than one. It is my personal mission while I'm there to make that happen.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I also believe that Johnny was a proud member of the Christian Skydivers Assoc. #485.

That is true. Not sure of the number.

Johnny always thought very well of the ECSC family. He always made sure no matter hwere he was that no one was left out.

If anyone has photo's please send. PM me for my email.

I remember how we used to call Johnny "stopwatch Johnny". I believe David Howard started his nickname because you could start packing your rig the same time as Johnny, turn your head to lay the main down on the floor, look back and Johnny was already closing his container! It was like he had stopped time with a stopwatch.
He'd pass by carrying his packed rig with a smile on his face and say, "I clicked the stopwatch!"

I remember when that got started. It was because he was slow flaking is canopy but before you knew it he was done before us. Sort of like the movie click he would seemingly stop time and finish in his own pace and click start again as if we never missed a beat.
There are tons of memories like that. Puts a smile on my face, I still feel very screwed up at the same time though.

I'm trying to take my own advice I gave to my uncle when my Grandmother passed. Look foward to the days when you will be happy of the memory instead of sad for the loss. Easier said than done. I'm extremely lucky to have known and to have him as close a friend as he was.

I'm back from my trip to say goodbye. I really do not do well in that environment. Anyway...

I remember that jump like it just happened. It was one of my favorites because I was able to be there to help one of my closest friends out. Even if it was because of something that was considered bad.

The services were very well put together. It is amazing the lives he touched and how he touched them. I knew he played guitar but I didn't know he was in an 80's Hair metal band. It was really very good music.

His mother never liked him jumping. In a letter that had to be read by someone else, she addressed the skydivers and said for us to do one more for him. I'm pretty sure the word is in two weeks at Chester.

There will be another jump in his honor -so help me God- at Emerald Coast also. Probably more than one. It is my personal mission while I'm there to make that happen.

Thank you so much for the update! You know that the Emerald Coast family is willing to help out and we want to help out with any memorial jumps or anything else that we can.

Thank you again for sharing all of this, I really wish that I could have made the services.

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

Damien,
You know that Mike and I are there to help out how ever we can in planning the memorial jump for Johnny. Bobo Loco told me the other day he would be planning something too.
Ashley

Make sure Johnny's name is not removed from the list of people attending the boogie.
Ashley Martin

"Corazon" Rodriguez
PMS #462

I am going to need help. I keep trying to think of how to begin planning but then I just get this feeling of being crushed and I have to go distract myself.

We need to keep psyco Bob in on this so we aren't planning against each other unintentionaly.

***We need to keep psyco Bob in on this so we aren't planning against each other unintentionaly.

I would like to leave it up to whatever Johnny's family and his skydiving family from Chester would like. Yall knew Johnny better than anyone and whatever yall feel is what Johnny would have wanted we'll do.

Just let Danielle and I know what you need us to do and we'll make it happen. I've talked to Becky and she will work up the loads to accomodate anything that you want as far as sunset load, ash dive, memorial jump or whatever it is.

Does anyone have any photos of Johnny?

Here is one after a five way CRW jump at the BAMA during last years Memorial Day beach boogie.

MY FRIEND

(by Cheeto Rodriguez)

I heard the news, my friend passed away,
I don’t know what to do, or what to say,
I look at the past, so much laughter, so much love,
And now my friend is looking down from above,
If I would have known how life would unfold,
So many things were left untold,
I should have said “I Love You My Friend”,
But now it’s too late, life has come to an end,
Every day is a gift, for you and for me,
To see another sunrise, we have no guarantee,
The Good Lord let us share life for a while,
And the memory of my friend will always make me smile…….

Cheeto "Blue Skies My Friend" Rodriguez

Yo,
I wanted to share this from a video I took yesterday. The tandem passenger was Johnny's bandmate, Kelly. Chuck was TM, DosXX on cameras, Bandolero, Cheeto and myself were out there with them. And Gus helped set him free.
We miss you brother, enjoy your jump over the Gulf :)BSBD
Pfuego

2nd attachment by DosXX