waltappel

RIP Dave Sebesta

Oh Dave, Why, why, why,......

Had some jumps with Dave about a month ago and had dinner. The usual humble guy, generous, trying to pick up the tab for us all.

Walt, I can't believe that old pic from Georgetown?! or Birdsnest? Look at those cute young guys with the beautiful long hair. Damn, I miss those days.......
and miss you Dave!
Blue Skies forever!

say Hi to our other celestial flyer friends you have now joined.
Will expect that bear hug when we meet again.

Carolee

dave_001 and dave_001a are from the old Spaceland. A bunch of us went down there and Lap and I got our SCRs in an unusual way. The Austin crew was going up on the 206 to do a 6 way. Halfway to altitude the pilot said that the 4 jumpers in the 182 wanted to know if we were interested in a 10 way. Hell yes!!!!

Dave was on that load and helped us get our SCRs. I've got pics from the ceremony.

dave_002 was taken sometime around my 100th jump at Birds Nest. The back row from left to right is Dave, Todd, Jeff, and me. The front row from left to right is Mark (kneeling), Brett, Jan, and Gary.

I miss all of you guys.

As for you, Carolee, you did quite a bit yourself to contribute to the beautiful scenery. You still do!:)
Walt

I know that all of us that knew Dave will miss his mischievous sense of humor and his kindness.

I always remember him looking at me with a gleam in his eye and the first thing I would think was something was up and the joke would be on me.

I was lucky enough to have a chance to talk to him a few months back for a few hours. He gave me just as much teasing and kidding as he always had - for the last 20+ years.

We talked about how we had been lucky to have been in the sport for such a long time and all the fun we have had over the years.

Dave knew that the way you got less in life was to settle for it. He never settled for less.

"It is better to burn out than to rust" Neil Young

Dave, I am going to miss you. I am sure jumpers old and new will feel the same.

Blueskies,

ed

Sebesta, David Wayne*

David Wayne Sebesta Taylor TX Oct. 30, 1957 - Mar. 17, 2007 On Saturday, March 17, David was doing the thing he loved the most, skydiving with his friends. This day David collided with a fellow jumper and, knocked unconscious, was unable to open his reserve chute and fell to the earth. Despite heroic efforts by his friends and local EMS David was called home in route to the hospital. His parents Henry and Maxine Sebesta, to whom he had the honor of tending during their passing, preceded David in death. David is survived by his older brother John, his twin brother Jack, sister Cindy Sanders, nephews John Sebesta and Jerry Shannon, niece Brandy Anders, and grandniece and -nephew Kristin and Tyler Anders. David was a gentle giant who had acquired an extended family of friends through his fifteen years at Southwest Airlines, and through his love of skydiving that spanned three decades. Visitation will be on Wednesday, March 21 at All Faiths Funeral Home north location, 8507 N. IH 35, Austin, TX from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Memorial services pending.
Published in the Austin American-Statesman on 3/20/2007.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Turn Again to Life

If I should die and leave you
here a while,
Be not like others, sore undone,
who keep
Long vigil by the silent dust
and weep.
For my sake turn again to life
and smile,
Nerving thy heart and trembling hand
to do
That which will comfort other souls
than thine;
Complete these dear unfinished tasks
of mine,
And I , perchance, may therein
comfort you.

...Mary Lee Hall

A beautiful sentiment. Thanks for sharing Skydivermom.
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

I'm glad you posted the picture from longago. Now I have a familiar face to put with the name.

We seem to have to learn the same hard lessons that others have learned sometimes.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Walt -- Thanks for starting this thread.

Dave worked with me at APC back in those wonderful days of Austin in the late 70s, early 80s. We worked many a student load together, me flying, Dave jumpmastering. He worked his student loads with a cheerful, confident attitude, confident that these kids were going to do well on their jumps. His confidence in them helped give them confidence in themselves.

We spent many an hour, too, packing T-10s on hot summer nights after a long day's work scattering students all over the country side. We talked some. A lot of the time we just worked together silently, no sound but the rustling of canopies being flaked and the slap of lines on the packing tables and crickets singing in the dark outside. After all this time, decades now, I can hear the nights clear as ever, and I can hear Dave's economical conversation. He wasn't a chatterbox, but he said enough that I got to know him pretty well.

Dave hadn't grown up with the breaks a lot of folks get, and this experience, and his uncomplaining awareness of it, gave him an understanding - at a younger age than most - of the pathos of life, though I don't think he would have called it that or even tried to put it into words. But it deepened his character, gave him not so much intelligence, but rather wisdom, which is harder to come by and more rare. Dave was a profoundly good man, a man to have as a friend most trustworthy.

One day on the dropzone someone had a hissy fit at Dave, about what I don't remember. Something silly. Dave was a big, strong, fit young fellow who didn't really have to take anything so provocative. No one would have condemned him if he had pounded the guy.

But Dave just stood there without a flinch, stared the guy in the eye while he sputtered on, and by and by the fellow just petered out and went away. Dave turned back to his work as if he had only stopped a moment to watch a bird fly over. The scene has stayed fresh in my mind all these years, it was such an amazing display of control. The guy was an oak.

A couple of years ago I made a few jumps at Salado after a 21-year layoff. First jump back was with Dave. We did some RW. It was a heart-warming experience to find him there and to jump with him again after the years had made us both a little more grizzly and gnarled. Life intervened, and I haven't gotten out again, but I had hoped to jump with him more. Now, our old friend will jump with us in spirit rather than flesh.

I don't know about this heaven or hell business. Sounds kinda spooky to me. But if it's true, hell is likely to be nothing but mounds of unpacked T-10s. Dave has already done that, so he'll be where the perpetual SCR ceremonies are held. Bless him, all.

Clark Thurmond
Georgetown, TX

Posted by MexPilot in Incidents:

Rip Dave condolences to the family and friends. My day was bummed when I heard about dave. He was such a nice guy. Since he was one of the big boys on the DZ he used to always sit next to me in the 206. He always messed with me by grabing and moving around the pax yoke. He will be missed.

Diego

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Dave will be missed by many. I'm so glad he was in that old APC photo. He was such a great guy and he won't be forgotten as long as we hold him in our hearts.

Clark, I appreciate your words about our friend, especially the story of Dave just listening to some jerk and then Dave returning to his work. The group photo from APC was my 100th jump. I cherish the photo and am so glad Dave was part of that

dive.

APC was a heavenly place. Maybe we all will return there upon our deaths?! Sounds better to me than streets of gold and gates of pearls.

Jan Wright Richards
College Station, TX

All,

It was *wonderful* seeing Dave's extended family at the service this evening--especially those of you who I was so close too many years ago at APC. The love is definitely still there!:)
I'll be posting some more pics and will gladly send higher resolution versions to anyone on request.

To Dave's family: thankyou for letting all of us into your lives. We share your loss and we also share many joyful memories of Dave. I hope you find some comfort in that.

Walt

Since many of Dave's extended family outside the skydiving community have been reading this thread, I want to point out something that may be a point of confusion for some of you.

Here is a link to a story on the accident that appeared in The Temple Daily Telegram.

Most of the article is ok, but here is a part that isn't:

Pollock said the two men had open canopies and were jumping in a formation known as a “live twist.”

There is no such thing in skydiving as a "live twist".

One of the jumpers had what is called "line twist" when his parachute opened and that is exactly what you would picture. Instead of all the parachute's suspension lines being straight, they are twisted. It's much like what you used to do as a kid on swings. You'd sit on the swing seat and start twisting around so that the ropes or chains holding the swing would get twisted up. Of course you did this for fun because when you would pick up your feet, the ropes would unwind, spinning you around.

Unfortunately, it's not any fun at all under a parachute. What it does is make you unable to steer the parachute until those twists come out of the suspension lines.

I point this out for a couple of reasons. First, the media often confuses their facts because most know little or nothing about skydiving. Second, Dave and the other jumper were *not* doing any kind of dangerous maneuver intentionally.

Lastly, please understand that this was an accident and that the other jumper was unable to steer away from Dave. I can only imagine the horrible guilt that he will suffer the rest of his life, but it was truly an accident.

Please feel free to contact me or other jumpers if you want any details to help you understand what happened.

Walt

Dave will surely be missed here at Salado, but I'll at least have an ever-present reminder of him. His cat Mouse, quite the character, is reclining on the back of my couch right now. She's quite the sweetheart. She'll be living on the dropzone so we'll always have a part of Dave here. Just talked to Mike as well, and he says Pumpkin is adjusting wonderfully with him, as long as he gets his wet food :-)

Hopefully the 2 dogs will find good homes as well soon - I've got all of the animals' info (shots, etc) from the vet if you need any of it.

Wendy

With great sadness, all of Dave's family and friends are mourning his loss. There were many last night who attended his services, a testament to how many people thought so much of him. However, the shock of his loss is still with us. Closure, acceptance and the eventual healing for our heavy hearts is in progress- but I know for many there will always be a special place in our "Dave Spot".

I knew and worked with David for 22 years, almost half my life. I've spent many thousands of hours working with him at Southwest Airlines. In all of those years, I honestly cannot recall one instance of Dave making a selfish decision or action. And despite some troubling and grieving times of his own in the wake of losing his parents, Dave never complained or felt sorry for himself. He always would say "Things will get better."

Before he came aboard with SWA, he fueled our jets while working for an FBO at Mueller. And Dave was always, ALWAYS recruiting new jumpers to the sport. He must have introduced 50 or more co-workers at SWA to skydiving, myself included. It'll be strange not hearing Dave at work, stating to anyone within earshot "Hey! Let's go skydiving!" with his crooked grin. Dave loved all things aviation, but he loved skydiving more than anything else. I am certain that Dave now has his wings permanently affixed.

Godspeed to his brothers and sister- and to all of the rest of us who were fortunate enough to have known him.

We'll miss you, man. Rest in Peace.

I am still very brand new to skydiving, and the way we all pulled together last night was amazing. It was certainly what Dave would have done, and it was a blessing to get to share this with his family. It impressed me how we were just as much together when the chips were down as when they are up. This is definately not a "fair weather" sport.

I know we will all continue to support one another in the coming days and years. I love all of you!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Here are some more pics from my SCR ceremony 20+ years ago after Dave helped Mark "Lap" Dunlap and I get our SCRs. Again, Dave is in the orange t-shirt. At least the people in the pics attended Dave's service:

Walt Appel
Mark "Lap" Dunlap
Henry Stone

* In scr_pics_ready_01, Dave is giving Lap a preview of what cold beer would feel like on his skin.

* scr_pics_spray_04 shows Lap and me getting soaked

* My all-time favorite pic of Lap is scr_pics_aftermath_01

* Dave is in the blue jumpsuit on the left.

Walt

I must say that SWA showed a great amount of class in honoring the loss of one of there own,
the Tshirts and the bussing of employees to the service was inspiring.
I really hope Dave knew how much he was liked before he left us

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Here are some more pics from my SCR ceremony 20+ years ago after Dave helped Mark "Lap" Dunlap and I get our SCRs. Again, Dave is in the orange t-shirt. At least the people in the pics attended Dave's service:

Walt Appel
Mark "Lap" Dunlap
Henry Stone

* In scr_pics_ready_01, Dave is giving Lap a preview of what cold beer would feel like on his skin.

* scr_pics_spray_04 shows Lap and me getting soaked

* My all-time favorite pic of Lap is scr_pics_aftermath_01

* Dave is in the blue jumpsuit on the left.

Walt

It seems he has done a share or two of SCRs . . . this is dave helping out his fellow skydiver by emptying his trophy for him.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I must say that SWA showed a great amount of class in honoring the loss of one of there own,
the Tshirts and the bussing of employees to the service was inspiring.
I really hope Dave knew how much he was liked before he left us

I'm not sure who all was on the dive - buit i have a whole set of them for anyone who wants them.

I think one is on the wall at the DZ.

BSBD Dave - Fly Free
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

For those family (and extended family) members wondering what the beer pouring thing is about, it's called an SCR ceremony. It's a rite of passage (i.e., hazing) thing that we do in Texas. The first time someone is in a round freefall formation with 8 or more people in it, they qualify for the award and go through the "initiation". It's a very good-natured thing.

Here is the official website that explains the awards: clicky.

Walt

I'm new to the sport but I had the privilege of jumping with Dave at Skydive Temple a couple of months ago.

I was "recruited" into a 8-way, which included Dave. I was supposed to be the first person in the group to dock with Dave. Being 5-8 tall myself, I remember looking up to him while standing next to him when doing dirt dive. Despite the fact that I'm deaf myself, from the look on Dave and his mannerism, I suspected he was the quiet type.

The dive was successful and uneventful. It was not until after debriefing that someone informed me that the dive qualified me for a SCR award. It was a humbling experience.

Upon leaving for the day, I made sure to seek Dave out and thank him for jumping with me. He was graceful and smiled a bit when I shook his giant hand.

So yeah, he was a gentle and quiet giant.

Thanks Dave.

What a blessing it was yesterday to be at Skydive Temple, witnessing Dave's memorial jump. God bless Rich and Mike for their hard work in planning the dive, and arranging for Walt to jump Dave's canopy. That absolutely meant more to him than any of us will know. God bless everyone who took part in the actual jump, and for the excellent photography skills that were used to capture this incredible moment. I am sorry, I cannot remember the name of the videographer, but he was amazing. I'm sure someone else can provide that.

Even though only a few of us left the ground, we were ALL a part of the dive. I, along with several others, captured every moment I could with my digital camera. As I lay in the pea gravel gazing up into the sky, I beheld a beautiful sight. I saw everyone tracking away from Dave's canopy, and then like flowers blooming, various colors dotted the sky. It was also breathtaking to hear the sound of all that nylon as it caught the air. It reminded me of a human fireworks display.

One by one, each jumper landed, and I could see the elation on their faces. I continued to gaze up, watching Walt and the camera guy fly together, snapping pictures as they got closer. It was a beautiful sight watching Dave's canopy in flight, the sunlight bouncing off of it at just the right angle. As Walt began his final approach, I fought back tears. After his usual tip-toe, perfect landing, we all gathered around Dave's canopy for a group photo.

I promised one of Dave's family members that we would carry the torch for him. It was a promise I knew we wouldn't fail to keep.

This is a quote from a dear friend of mine, Sharimcm: "It's not the number of breaths we take that count, it's the moments that take our breath away."

This was certainly one of those moments. We'll keep on flying with you Dave!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28