waltappel

RIP Dave Sebesta

We obviously had a horrible day yesterday, losing three jumpers from canopy collisions. One, Dave Sebesta, died in Texas yesterday. Very few people here know him but I've known him for over 25 years. He jumpmastered me on some of my student jumps many years ago. He was one of a tight community of jumpers in Austin at the time--we were all family.

I hadn't seen Dave in about 20 years when we ran across each other at a DZ recently. He was still the same good guy that he was back then. I'll post a picture of him back in the old days after I return home.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by his passing. We'll all miss him.

And thankyou to those who tried to save him. I'm sure you gave it your very best shot.

Walt

Dave meant the world to me. He was a great friend and was always there for me when I needed a cuddle buddy and/or someone to talk to. I am very saddened by his loss. It really pains me deeply.

Fly free Dave. I miss you dearly. [:/]

I attached a pic of the "group" at Skydive Temple on New Year's Day 2007. Dave can be seen sitting by me, bottom row almost in the middle (wearing the black jacket with reflective material - he worked for Southwest airlines). Dave loved animals, so of course he is the one holding the dog in the picture.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Codolences, RIP ... Blue Skies, and thoughts & prayers for your friend Dave, his friends & family, and all my brother & sister jumpers, we all feel a loss like this, especially those of you who knew him personally. Blue Skies to you too~ Walt!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

We at Southwest Airlines will miss Dave.
I knew Dave as a caring, trustworthy, hard working guy.
He spoke about his skydiving friends as though they were family.
He talked about skydiving, as his life's passion, he was living his dream..

Attached is a pic of Dave taken at work, he worked for Southwest for 15 years.

If you did not know Dave, know this -- we were his family, he would come hangout at the DZ looking for a few good jumps and the friends he had made over the years.
You could not make Dave mad, he never said anything bad about anyone, he was not an egotistical person, he was truly a good person and for the big giant person he was he was able to do good 4 way with a bunch of light weight fuckers like myself.
I am sorry I didn't have time to jump with him last time I saw him.

I will miss Dave and miss being stuck in a 182 with his big ass.

He died with his 'family' around him doing something he loved
Rest in peace Dave - you are my friend and you will be missed by many ---- Texas has suffered a giant loss of not only a good skydiver but an all around great person

Voodew

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Well said, Voodew. I jumped with Dave in the 70's at what was then Skydive Ausitn (in Georgetown). Many fond memories in my logbook (including the jump on which he broke his ankle in 1979). He was my friend, too. I was on the load and watched the tradegy unfold. I called his brother during the rescue attempt, but could only leave a message to call th DZ. I am heartbroken today...

BF

Old Guys Rock!

Here are some pics of him totally in his element. The first one is during a dirt dive for a fellow jumper's 500th. The second one is of the whole group...you can spot him towering over most everyone in the back row center.

I will always remember:

Him trying to lay a kiss pass on me, and by the time I figured out what he was trying to do, it was breakoff. He got his kiss on the ground though!:$

I will always miss:

Our fun dirtdives

Trying to keep up with him in freefall

The way his heart melted every time he held my dachshund

and most of all, His giant bear hugs!!

Fly free sweet Dave!! You'll be missed:(
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

We at Southwest Airlines will miss Dave.
I knew Dave as a caring, trustworthy, hard working guy.
He spoke about his skydiving friends as though they were family.
He talked about skydiving, as his life's passion, he was living his dream..

Attached is a pic of Dave taken at work, he worked for Southwest for 15 years.

Thanks for posting that. Please pass along our heartfelt condolences to his extended family at Southwest. We're hurting too and our hearts go out to all of you.

Walt

Dave was truely one of the nicest guys at the drop zone. Just wanted to be around his "family" and would fill in wherever he was needed. He was a big guy but could fall slow or fast whichever he needed to do on that particular jump. It's just so hard to believe that this happened to such a good guy. Fly free Dave, you are already missed.

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took his hand when I heard him call
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day
to laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks undone must stay that way.
I found that peace at close of day.
If my parting has left a void
then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
ah, yes, these things I too will miss.
Be not burneded with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I've savored much,
good friends, good time, a loved one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your hearts and share with me
God wanted me now:
He set me free.

I don't normally post things like this, but the above touched my heart. Rest in peace Dave. We love you.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Walt:
Better come over for a drink and a cigar for an old friend.
We'll miss him.

Leemac

Lee, along with Dave and others back in the day, you were kind enough to help me grow wings. Thankyou for that.

For everyone who knew Dave--here is my favorite picture of him. It's over 20 years old. The orange shirt he is wearing says, "If you ain't a skydiver you ain't shit". Of course he didn't feel that way at all toward anyone, but he thought the shirt was really funny. I was talking with him recently and mentioned that shirt. He laughed and said he absolutely loved that shirt--it was his all-time favorite.

Of course, being a tightly-knit group and kind of like family, we used to razz him about the shirt. We'd make cracks like, "Well, you're a skydiver and you ain't shit either!". It was the kind of razzing that good friends do over a few beers at the end of a day of sharing a passion for life. He was always very humble and would laugh at the teasing. He knew he was part of us.

For everyone in Dave's extended family--we in the skydiving community who knew and loved Dave share your pain and loss.

I'll post a couple more pictures tonight.

Edited to add some pics; also Photoshopped dave_001.

In dave_002, Dave is on the left and I am on the right.

Walt

This is a copy of the email that went out to all Austin area jumpers:

Fellow jumpers,

On behalf of Skydive Temple, myself, and all of us who knew what happened, I am delivering this sad news to our jumper community that Dave Sebesta past away last Saturday, March 17, 2007 around 5pm while he was being airlifted to the Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple after a hard landing under a spinning canopy. He will be remembered as a great friend and fellow jumper with positive attitude and passion for the sport! He passed away surrounded by his friends and doing what he loved!!!

Those wishing to say goodbye to Dave can do so on Wednesday, March 21 between 4pm and 8pm at the "All Faith Funeral Services" on 8507 North IH-35 in North Austin ( http://www.allfaithsonline.com/nlocation.html). It is my understanding that his oldest brother John will have a speech at 7pm, and anyone who wish to speak of Dave will have a chance to do so after that. I propose that those of us who can make it by 7pm, arrive a few minutes prior for the speech.

Dave was not married and did not have any children. He's survived by two of his brothers and one sister and our thoughts are with them.

Blue skies,

Ilya
S&TA, AFF-I
Skydive Temple
1-877-EXIT-282

P.S. Dave also had two dogs that we're trying to find a home for. If anybody is interested in adopting them, they are currently at Mark Mark's house, and he can give you more info.

Turn Again to Life

If I should die and leave you

here a while,

Be not like others, sore undone,

who keep

Long vigil by the silent dust

and weep.

For my sake turn again to life

and smile,

Nerving thy heart and trembling hand

to do

That which will comfort other souls

than thine;

Complete these dear unfinished tasks

of mine,

And I , perchance, may therein

comfort you.

...Mary Lee Hall
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Oh Dave, Why, why, why,......

Had some jumps with Dave about a month ago and had dinner. The usual humble guy, generous, trying to pick up the tab for us all.

Walt, I can't believe that old pic from Georgetown?! or Birdsnest? Look at those cute young guys with the beautiful long hair. Damn, I miss those days.......
and miss you Dave!
Blue Skies forever!

say Hi to our other celestial flyer friends you have now joined.
Will expect that bear hug when we meet again.

Carolee