PhreeZone

Condolence thread for Danny Page and Bob Holler

Danny was the type of person to rub almost everyone a little harshly from time to time kinda like sandpaper. But the funny thing about sandpaper, the more you rub something the smoother it starts to become. Danny had a unique way of helping us all smooth out those rough edges and just have a good time. Always smiling no matter what, ready to help anyone regardless of skill level he was truly a jumper who just liked to jump and wanted to make sure everyone else had a good time when they jumped. That smile and laugh will not be something easily forgotten.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob at last years (3rd Annual) Dublin Boogie. He was organizing the big ways and a friend and I ended up joining in and having a blast. At the end of the weekend he invited me down to the Big Ways he was organizing in Deland. I was never able to actually make it down for one of his weekends but still got the email updates. He was a very easy going fun jumper and I will miss not being able to jump with him again.

Blue Skies Danny and Bob, you guys will not be forgotten

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

I miss Danny so much, although it still doesn't feel real that he's gone. I guess I'm in denial a bit.

The last interaction I had with Danny was Friday night, and it was so fitting. He was giving me shit for something that happened months ago, as he always did. I'm so glad that the last time I saw him it was same ol', same ol'. I know several other people had the same experience, and now those somewhat inconsequential moments have a new, beautiful meaning, allowing us to remember our friend just as he was.

Danny, I love you and miss you so much. :( You always had a way of saying the nicest things anyone has ever said, which I appreciated even more, because they came from someone who was (proudly) reputed to be an asshole. :)

It 's hard to add to the words written here about Bob Holler. I had tremendous respect for him as a jumper and as a person. I know what it takes to be a USAF Pararescueman. They are tough, badass, brilliant professionals, who will walk through hell to save a downed airman. As a USAF aircrew member, I never needed rescued, but knowing that there were folks like that standing by, made flying into odd places a little easier. He left that line of work at the top, respected and admired in the Special Operations community.

As a skydiver, Bob was the safest, most competent jumper I've seen. Everyone who jumped with him will say that he was the least likely person to have an accident - he was so careful and meticulous. And he was performing flawlessly to the end.

I'll miss him mostly as an example. He had life figured out, and was navigating it on his terms. But not in a selfish or self-centered way. He was always generous with his time, knowledge, and help. He was truly a prince of a guy. We should all be so lucky as to have people say the things they are saying about Bob, when it is our time to be remembered.

Attached is a photo of Bob and the "Super Sector Six" shirts that he passed out during the World Team '06 jumps in Thailand. Bob was pretty much the "First Sergeant" of Sector 6, and he was a big part of the success of World Team. Bob's not smiling in this photo. He didn't always smile on the outside, but those who knew him understood, and loved him.

Kevin Keenan
Bob Hollar's Teammate

I have known Danny since I started skydivng, and I just came back from a year and a half out of the sport. Of course, Danny was there to welcome me back with a big hug and a grin from ear to ear. We hung out just like old times, and I will never forget the times we spent together. Danny tought me a lot about skydiving and life in general. He was there for me when I got hurt, but in his way, he also made sure I wouldn't forget the lesson from my accident.

Danny, I will never forget you. You had an impact on the everyone around you.

Blue skies!
Michelle

Two quick stories which say a lot about these two men:

1. A few months ago, when I was training to get my AFF rating, I called my friend Bob Holler for some advice. He immediately volunteered to spend an entire weekend with me, jumping free of charge (and paying for his own slot) and flying in the tunnel to help me get ready. He also gave me a practice ripcord to use in my training jumps. I pulled it out of my gear bag this weekend and my eyes teared up. Bob was a wonderful soul and a great man. I will always remember him being the best looking guy at his own retirement. He was unfailingly generous with his time and advice, and his loss has caused a huge void in the community. I miss my friend.

2. A few weeks ago, Travis and I did a couple of freefly jumps with Danny Page. We had a wonderful time, and were laughing and making faces at Danny even as Travis was giving him signals to help with body position. It was always fun to jump with Danny. Later that day, we both realized that he had put 2 jumps on both of our accounts. He said it was because he could afford to do it, and that he appreciated the help from his friends. He was sometimes crass and often blunt, but he always said what he thought. He was also generous with his jumps when I was training, and offered support while I was struggling with exams and the Bar. And I'll never forget him shocking me in the plane on that naked load. I miss my friend.

This is a sad time. My condolences to both families. Either are free to contact Travis and I for more stories we have been reliving the past few days. It is a comfort to know that both men lived life to the hilt, and died doing something they both loved ardently.

[:/]

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I didn't know B.O.B. as well as some of the others in Deland, but he was certainly a commanding presence at the dz, even if he was just walking through with Dakota not saying a word. He had the respect of everyone out there and he also treated everyone with respect. He tried to get me to join his RW jumps once. I didn't because I was embarrassed at my lack of skills, now I wish I would have. To everyone who asked about Dakota, she's back in DeLand now thanks to Art bringing her home with Bob's things yesterday and she is in the loving arms of Bob's friends. I'm sure she will be spoiled rotten.

I met Danny at the Halloween boogie the year he was Sponge Bob. He flirted and bragged about himself, but he was also quite serious when I asked why I should vote for him (he was running for the Board at the time). Cut to last weekend, about 2 1/2 years later, he remembered me and the conversation that we had. I was impressed since he must have talked to hundreds of different skydivers since. Then, he flirted and talked about himself again, but he always did it in a lovable way you couldn't dislike the guy. What a character, and so corny! :)
Unfortunately, I saw the incident and the image is still with me in my mind. Everyone talks about these two guys being great teachers. A mistake was made, but if we can all learn from this terrible tragedy, it will be their most important lesson ever and their deaths will not be in vain.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

When I lose two of my best friends on the planet on the same jump, I have to force myself not to cry, but I still do.

To Danny and Bob,
We've trained together, fought together, jumped together, drank together, laughed together.

I love both of you. Rest in peace my brothers.

I am saddened beyond words.

Tim Tennant

First, my heart goes out to Bob and Danny's family and friends, including all of us. Tragedy barely describes.

I met Danny 2 years ago at Dublin as part of the dives that ICON posted about earlier. It has always been my sincere belief that Danny was one of the most talented people I know. I cannot help but feel angry with him for pulling such a bonehead stunt, but also feel very grateful for the fun we had together. And yes, I cracked up when Danny told ICON he had never seen anyone funnel themselves.

I was on the first POPs jump Saturday and had the opportunity to hang out with Danny, and to meet Bob for the first time then. Bob seemed like a great guy, a very cool calm dude, greatly experienced, and willing to help others. I am grateful for the little bit he was able to pass on to me on that jump. I couldn't help but be impressed with him on several levels.

Danny in the second row of the zipper, was docking on me in the first row. Every time we would dirt dive the jump he would pop the bunjee on my butt and laugh before docking. I would salute him, one finger style and move on. It was great fun.

Well when we did the dive for real, he popped me one more time at about 10,000. I couldn't hear him laugh, and didn't want to mess with the formation with a salute, but made sure to have a little chat on the ground.

He laughed and told me, "I took my sweet time docking on the base".

I replied, "I thought that was the idea".

Silly me, I had gotten the idea that Big-Ways were about consistency, patience, and doing it exactly right. You know just like a brick in the wall.

His answer: "Yeah, but it looks so much better to get there fastest".

Well, I guess that just about says it all.

I was in the hanger getting ready for 4-way when I heard there was a wrap and possible fatalities. I wanted to run out and try to put the pieces back together. Crazy huh? Soon I found out who was on the ground and felt sick. I had just spent the last few hours with these guys.

I wish we could get a do-over on this one, but I guess life just doesn't give us second chances very often.

We can't do anything for Bob or Danny. We can remember them for who they were, human beings just like any of us. For all their experience, just as vulnerable, just as flawed, and filled with the same love of the sky.

I sincerely hope they are in a better place and that someday we will all stand around another bonfire drinking green beers, laughing, and giving Danny a very hard time about this.

Blue skies friends,
Bob
qoq

The Hollernun under psycho's entry is mandatory viewing. I thought I was done crying then I had to again. Tears of laughter through tears of sadness. The best emotion on earth I believe. Thanks for the laugh Bob! That pic is burned into my head!
"When you have tasted flight, you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be." Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

What an immense loss. I only knew Bob peripherally, having talked with him for a bit at this last PIA. My condolences to his family and friends.

Danny and I go way back. As I sit and think about him with two things will always stick in my head; 1 - his enormous "blockhead" and; 2 - his even larger smile. Danny's sense of humor was well-known, even notorious. My utmost sympathies to his family.

May God bless and keep both of these fine men,

Randy Connell
D19133

It has taken some time for this to begin to sink in. Life has such a strange way of unfolding sometimes.

I hadn't talked to Danny in about two months until last weekend. He and I had a lot of catching up to do, and we made a point of going to dinner, just the two of us, last Monday. We talked and drank and drank and talked...we talked so much about life and about living...about happiness, family, love, success.

The day that this terrible accident happened, I was telling someone that one of my biggest fears is losing someone you care about unexpectedly and regretting not getting to talk to them about the REAL shit. Not knowing how they feel or them knowing how you feel. I found out the next morning that I had a message from that same time letting me know my good friend was gone. It brought tears to my eyes today when I told a friend the last words Danny said to me. He told me "You know I'll always love you unconditionally."

RIP Danny. I will always love you, too.

i have so much to say but find it so hard to type or even think right

my prayers go out to all the family and friends

wish i could have met bob

i knew danny very well and felt like that the day i met him 3 1/2 years ago. he was one the the dearest friend i have had. he was not only a friend but my brother, mentor, father figure, my boss (at one point) and sometimes my dirty smart a** unkle. we became close from day one. he was funny, challanging, strong, hardhead and real. i loved everything about him. we were complete opposites and learned from eachother. i loved to talk with him,drink with him, laugh with him, i even liked to argue with him for hours. he made me think more and showed me why i should have confidence in myself. i wish i didnt have to see this happen but it did.

we must learn from this.

love ya danny
"laid back - with my mind on my **** and my......"

RIP Danny and Bob -- had a few conversations with Danny in puerto rico and @ the halloween boogie - he was LOTS of fun -- always joking around -- gave me some advice on how to fix my rig up so the flaps would stop opening.

didn't realize until I looked at the pictures that it was him who passed away. :(

BSBD
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh