PhreeZone

Condolence thread for Danny Page and Bob Holler

This was written July 2004 in the publication Canopy Chatter, a newsletter for the Pararescue Assocation.

http://www.pjassn.org/downloads/vol2004-2.doc

Chief Master Sergeant Robert L. Holler is the Chief Enlisted Manager at the 38th Rescue Squadron, Moody AFB, Georgia.
Chief Holler joined the Air Force in July 1974. After enduring a year of extremely tough, mental and physical training he graduated as a PJ in July 1975. During his AF career he has had assignments at Nakom Phanom, Thailand; Clark AB, Philippines; McClellan AFB California; Kadena AB, Japan; Eglin AFB, Florida; Hurlburt Field, Florida. As a PJ Chief Holler has been credited with over 500 lives saved.
Chief Holler’s military decorations include the Bronze Star with one oak leaf cluster, the Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters, the Air Medal, the Aerial Achievement Medal, the Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters, the Air Force Achievement Medal and the Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and eight oak leaf clusters. His other achievements in clued Distinguished Graduate, Academic Achievement and Drill Master awards from the NCO Academy.
Chief Holler is an avid skydiver with over 4700 freefalls and was a member of World Team ’99 and ’04. World Team is a collection if expert skydivers from over 30 different nations who, in 1999, as one team, set the large-formation skydiving world record of 282 and in February of this year, set the current large-formation skydiving record of 357.
Key Achievements: Flight Examiner; Chief Certifier; Validation of long range desert tactics (Quick Force); Developed and tested the Rigging Alternate Method Zodiac (RAMZ); Developed and tested the Special Purpose Underwater Deployment System (SPUDS); Established Combat Mission Needs Statement (CMNS) for high altitude delivery parachute; Led strategic shift from flight to enhanced and simplified training.
"When you have tasted flight, you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be." Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

While I did not know Bob, Danny was someone I called a friend. We had lengthy disputes about politics, philosophy, and skydiving. We didnt agree on much, but we got along great. I always enjoyed the evenings after sunset as we all ate dinner and hung out, when we could hang out. I loved his energy for skydiving and life. I love to freefly, but I always enjoyed it when I could go do some technical RW with his groups.

Blue Skies my friend.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Damn this just doesn't get any easier.

Danny was one of my AFF jumpmasters. I swear he loved to make me sweat. He swore I backed up in freefall and would always unzip his big white jumpsuite and pull it out for drag so he coudl keep up with me. I always poked him in the belly and giggled like the Pillsbury dough boy. Of course that earned me a swat on the backside for being sassy. He would smack me up side the head if I did something stupid during AFF...God knows I'd like to smack him right now.

Just Saturday I was joking with him about being older than dirt since he had been jumping for so long. He came to the formation laughing saying he wasn't really old enough to join us on POPS but he was going to grace us with his presence. Always the joker, he hugged me and said it was neat to jump with people he taught...maybe I'd learn something.

Bob was a new friend that I was looking forward to getting to know. I had play a bit with Dakota and fallen for her...imagine that. She was taken care of by a friend of mine last night then brought to the airport for the trip home. I know she is lonely without her beloved friend.......

Hell, we all miss our friends. Fly free gentlemen. You will be missed by many (even those who never agreed with anything you said will miss you Danny)

Thank you for allowing me to be on your final jump. You will always be remembered.

Blue skies....forever
Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

i'm so over this shit. :(

bob was a good person. it was interesting to see how fellow military folks treated him. we were out at moffit air force base in CA a couple years ago for a seminar of sorts on military equipment and providing info from us (vendors) to the riggers. anyway, i watched those guys - from the entry level folks to the highest ranking guy there - treat bob with respect you couldn't even imagine commanding. they LOVED him and respected him like i hadn't seen before. it was very cool to see. they had nothing but decades of good to say about him. NOT ONE BAD WORD...none.

people only hope to live in such a good light. hey, i'm not saying he was an angel, but he was a good man. :) hell, he helped my friend marcelo get his citizenship - even gave him his personal american flag that had some significance (can't remember exactly what) to him. it was very touching and he was there for marcelo's swearing in.

i used to love it when he brought dakota by PD while he was out back doing something with testing canopies.

he placed the winning bid during an auction at JFTC 2005. he spent (i can say this now :P) $600 on a f-ing pink chopper bicycle. don't get me wrong, the bike was bad-ass, but it was pink. :D he didn't give a rats ass and just rode that bitch around and was bring it back to deland.

anyway, i'm just babbling. bob was loved by sofa king many people in deland it's crazy. its hard on everybody. just looking at the faces of everyone today at the dz...it's hard.

my heart and love and thoughts go out to bob's family, friends and his skydiving family here in deland. molly, if you read this, i'm sending you love.

my sincere condolences to danny's family and friends as well. i knew him but not like i did bob.

It is nice to read and see the love for these two guys. Aside from being great skydivers they had other amazing qualities too. This picture was taken of Danny Wednesday night around 8:30pm in Wilmington, N.C Danny was spending a couple days with us. The little cutie is our son Grayson- Danny is his godfather. We had the big cookie decorated and a candle that sings "Happy Birthday". We made lots of wishes and laughed tons. Danny let Grayson blow out the candle like the SUPER uncle he is/was. He left our house and headed to Dublin to skydive. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers- so many of us loved him!

I feel like I've known Danny forever, but I'm sitting here trying to remember "meeting" him.. I cant.. he's just always been part of my skydiving life.

Always smiling.. and if you weren't smiling he would say some asshole comment just to tease and then flash that grin until you were smiling too. He saw me on Friday as he was leaving the dz and stopped the car to get out and give me a hug.. instead of just waving and thinking he'll see me later.

Danny had a feel for the little things in life that made a big difference. I'm going to try to take my memories of him and be more like him in that way.

Blue skies.. Danny. I know you're up there flirting with the angels.;) Say hello to my friends. See you when I get there.

The last time I saw Danny was at Boogie in Belize 1. He flew down with Billy Richards and the gang in a King Air. It was great to see him and as usual he was stirring the pot. My wife, a lawyer for years, did our waiver, and you guys can imagine what Danny had to say about it! "A 5 page waiver in Belize!! What the hell..." and on it went. The two of them arguing international law all week! It turned into quite a comedy act. She was heartbroken tonight when I told her this terrible news. I didn't know Bob, only of him. I'm sick of this shit happening to all of our friends...be safe out there.

Fly Free Men...RIP...

I remember when I first met Danny...

A group of us had wanted to participate in the GSL 4-way meet (the season opener is held at Dublin) but we were a man short so one of my team mates walks up with Danny who had a few jump tickets but needed to leave a little early but nonetheless had agreed to fill in as our fourth.

I had about 60 jumps at the time and none of us were very good (I think we had a couple of Zero point dives that day) Well during our jumps he was my piece partner I was point and he had taken up outside center... on a Stardian-Stardian I managed to funnel the two of us and we ended up well below the other half of our 4-way...

He stayed right there with me (huge grin on his face) until after break-off altitude then gave me a brisk salute and we took off in opposite directions.

After landing I walked up to him and apologized for funneling the dive to which he responded... with something along the lines of "Well I haven't ever scene anyone funnel themselves before but that's ok... it was a fun skydive..."
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Danny........I'll miss you Bro. One of my favorite things about going to boogies was seeing you as that was were I always seemed to run into you. I'll always remember one of the last things you said to me. You were telling people at the fire Friday night "This guy has a license to give me shit." :D I'll miss your obnoxious personality. Blue Skies. Save a few beers for me.

Both Bob and Danny were excellent teachers. I will sorely miss both of them, and their wealth of knowledge. I was hoping to jump with both of them this weekend, and learn from them. I know they were there in spirit on the memorial jump we did for them today.

Danny had asked me Friday if I was jumping with him this weekend and I said "Hell yeah!". And my proudest accomplishment to date was being invited on Bob's Big Ways in DeLand. I saw him briefly Saturday morning and told him I was a world record holder too, for the 15-way Pelt Head jump we had just done. Thank you both for being excellent mentors, and giving me confidence in my abilities.

Fly free, brothers.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Bob and Danny are hashing it out right now, I have no doubt. Bob is outwardly calm, speaking softly, toking his cigar with one hand, holding his ice-cold Sam Adams in his thermal cup in the other (he was so proud of that thing!). I don't know Danny well enough to know what he is doing, but he seemed quite the character, so I'm guessing his side of the conversation is pretty animated.

B-O-B, as he is known in DeLand because there are just so many Bob's, was such an incredibly positive & encouraging man. He was always happy to provide constructive instruction when you were ready to hear it and if you weren't...guess what? You were going to hear it anyway, as well you should. If he pulled you aside, you better believe he had something to say that you should listen to.

He was one of those people you heard about. He cared about you and wanted you to be better because he knew you could be. He was always right with his advice, too.

I am so grateful that he spotted me leaving the "ghetto" Friday night as he was preparing his home for travel with Dakota to go to Dublin. I didn't want to bother him even though I hadn't seen him for weeks, because he looked busy. He saw me, told me to come back and give him a hug, and told me to never walk by him without giving him a hug again. That's what kind of person he was. Never too busy to let you know he cared about you. Ever.

I'll miss him for the wonderful person he was and the amazing advice he had yet to share.

God Bless & Blue Skies Bob.

Kim

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

this was Danny and I in Puerto Rico this past Feb at the boogie. the picture was taken the 1st night we were there at the welcome party. I will miss Danny so much. SDA will not the same without him. My favorite thing danny would say to me was "who's your danny??!!" and then being a cheerleader he would say me give me a "D" give me a "A" and we would spell out DANNY! I heart truly is breaking at this moment. WE LOVE OUR DANNY

"It was Moses!"
"Our Shenanigan leader was laid back this weekend"

Bob you are the kind of human we all hope to be. You are the teacher the friend the mentor person we all could look up to and hope to one day be like. I admire your approach to everything you do. I hope one day I will be able to live as you do and share as you do. Thank you for sharing yourself with us while you could and thank you for sharing our sport in such a way that helped it grow and become a positive part of so many new skydivers.

I can not believe this day has come, you are the safest skydiver I have ever known. I remember you talking with Lee about joining the Airforce. He has 2 years in and plans to make it a carrer as you did. Thank you for your direction and help with him.

I will always think of you when I see my son in uniform and being so proud to be in the Air force. I have not told him yet and I know it will hit him hard.

BSBD brother you cant know how much you are loved and missed.

I will smoke a cigar with you tonight.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Such sad news.
Met Bob last year and had the privelege of filming him instructing/coaching,also got debriefed myself on the footage.
What a great man and a great loss to the sport.
Rest In Peace.
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

What great assets we just lost. They were both beside me on that last dive. I just had met Bob on Saturday. I was planning to go to his camp in Deland. Danny had me laughing until we left the plane, as usual.
I am glad to be alive and able to jump with all of you. What a privilege.
Isn't it a no-brainer to have as separate landing area for the swoopers? Isn't that just so obvious? This just didn't have to happen.

Blue Skies
Thanks for reading! Charles

[:/] Danny, I just can't believe you are gone. There were times where you irritated the hell out of me but lots of times where I just loved your presence.

Don't forget when we first met.... wow... and to think we all came back for more. Cathy, Dave and myself went to STL to jump out of big planes and you were there to organize. You approached us to jump and we were like, who the hell is this guy...lol. Come to find out, you were one of the greatest people we ever met.

Don't forget those silly messy big ways we did out of the CASA, Dave and Busters, Drinks at Garcia's and my last skydive with you. I am so embarrassed. I did terrible on that skydive but we all laughed real hard about it.

I also know what you would say when a skydiving accident would happen. (I will not write it on this forum). But for those who know him best know what his comment would be... especially at a boogie.

Remember when we picked you up at the airport and I had to pee terribly! Unfortuanately since the whole backseat was covered with gear, I had to sit on your lap. You were testing the limit there!

I will never forget catching up with you in Jersey and running and jumping into your arms. You were always a welcome site to see.

Things like this make me not want to skydive anymore, but I just remember you when we had an incident at STL. You would be like, use it as a learning experience and don't do that. You would probably totally frown if I stopped skydiving.

You are such and inspiration and will continue to be in my life and in everyone's lives that you have touched. I am so blessed to have met you.

May your soul be at peace with God.

We love you Danny.

Love, Michelle
Michelle

CLICK HERE TO SHOP! OR www.marykay.com/mfink519 - SHOP WITH ME, I WRAP FOR FREE! (I don't charge for shipping either.... yahooooo!)

Blue skies B.O.B. You will be missed. I remember going to his retirement party and finding out how little I knew about him. Some there said that he had lived enough and done enough for two lifetimes. That may be an understatement. I have never heard anyone speak his name without showing respect for him, which he deserved.

Thanks Bob for sharing those last three jumps with me. Sitting beside you on the plane Saturday for those jumps, is something I will always remember.
A great mentor and teacher, we could sure use more like you, you set the standard.

Please see my sig line, Bob WAS the great person his dog thought he was. Any one that saw him with his dog this weekend surely knows what I mean.

Debi and I will miss you, and remember you. We are heart broken over this.

Keith and Debi
-------------------------------------------------
Lord please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

Bob taught me how to become better with RW because he knew exactly how to teach it.

He actually certified for my A licence a few years ago. I had nothing but respect for him and listen to everything thing he said. He was the only one I could actually hear in freefall!

Man we are going to miss you!
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

Bob, "In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing and so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night." I will think of you when I look @the night's sky & remember the skydives, the laughs, the "race car beer" & your most contagious smile. It was an honor to know you & I know GOD will keep you until we meet again!

Man, what a sad time in our sport!

I did not know Danny and I really didn't know Bob. I remember seeing Bob around my home dz when I first started jumping. I will always remember him as someone that everyone highly respected, a safe and knowledgeable skydiver. I also met him again last year at Dublin. Everyone that ever talks about him always has such high respect for him. I am sad that I never got the chance to know him more! I know that our sport as lost a great amount through this accident!

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller