PhreeZone

Condolence thread for Danny Page and Bob Holler

OK, I'm shy and haven't posted anything yet. I was there when it happened. I was there before it happened. In Dublin, there was a hangar that the 30 somethingway pops dive practiced. I was not on the pops way, but I was doing 4-way and practicing and packing in the hangar. Well, after my second jump on Saturaday (yes, only the second. I got there late and it was windy), I was packing my rig, and this black and white speckled dog came to inspect my pack job. I loved it, as I love dogs. A man, who I never met before, came and chatised the dog to get away from me. I looked at him and replied "its no problem", and asked the dog's name. The man said "Dakota", and called the dog to him. The dog jumped into his arms, and the look of love and adoration from the dog, and from the owner to dog was so powerful. That was the first time I met Bob. That was the last time I met Bob, but I did not know it at the time. I saw everything. I heard the names. It was not until after reading the forums that I connected the events. What else can I say???

"Thanks" for sharing the video. And, don't worry; there are computer geeks skydiving everywhere...and Lawyers. But what is really cool is that Danny did not care. Sure, he joked about it and poked fun at everyone. But, to Danny, you are a skydiver. From your first jump you were accepted into a brotherhood in Danny's eyes.
My best-friend and I took Danny's Fandango-like static line course in Chester, SC. We went through the PLF evaluations of "if you land like that you are gonna blow out your knee" and he even made a student cry during the course. She asked "well what if I don't pull my chute?" and Danny said point blank "you will die". He didn't sugar coat anything which is what I loved about him.

Unlike the 99%, Danny and I always got along. I didn't take his crap. He was my hero and my mentor. He had such lofty expectations of people and somehow I feel like I have let him down. Not with relation to these incidents but in general. I miss him so.

Be thankful for the time you had with him.

The dog jumped into his arms, and the look of love and adoration from the dog, and from the owner to dog was so powerful. That was the first time I met Bob. That was the last time I met Bob...

Thanks for that little story, Caroline. Dakota is a very cool dog, and loved Bob a lot. She was much more expressive of her feelings than most of the rest of us. I'm not sure that Bob knew how much respect and admiration he had among his friends. I know I never told him how much he influenced my skydiving and even my philosophy of life. How do you tell someone something like that ? It's been a week since Bob's memorial at DeLand, when I heard a lot of people say that they felt the same way about him. People who were very experienced in doing very dangerous things in very dangerous places told of how they looked up to Bob and felt inspired by his presence and safer when he was on their team.

Losing someone has a way of erasing their faults and magnifying their attributes. We tend to remember only the good things about them. Bob Holler led such a purposely good life that I don't think any of that is necessary. He always did the right thing. If it was harder to do it that way, he just took that in stride. He never considered shortcuts or half-assed methods. He was such a good leader because he held himself to such high standards that it was impossible to not do your best when around him.

I'll truly miss Bob Holler. He was the kind of person that you encounter once in a lifetime, if you're lucky.

kevin

What a shock. Another twenty year friend joins the infinite freefaller club. I think I first met Danny in Warm Springs, GA. It's been a warm, lasting friendship for all these years. Check's in the mail buddy....;)
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org

I have added to design for BOB patch a red beret. posted here, but i think the green is too bright, so , don't worry---that will be toned down. Perhaps more tilt in the beret? Or does it look too hokey?
Laurel Nichols

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.-Anon

I have a pictoral trubute I can send. Just write me a personal message with the email address you want it sent to. It's too large to post.

Elizabeth
"When you have tasted flight, you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be." Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Blue skies, Danny. I have many memories of chatting with Danny while climbing to altitude over Florida, North Carolina, Illinois, etc... The last time I saw Danny was just before we exited a helo in Quincy at WFFC 2000. He was always excited to jump.

This is a great loss for the sport.

Cathy Crownover Elvy

Ok Bob fans, I have a book (pdf) of letters Bob wrote and pictures taken while he was serving. His sister, Terri (ScarpuT), put it together and it gives some insight to just how remarkable he was and how much of a loss we have suffered.

It's too big to post here (about 4MB) but if you want a copy, PM me with your e-mail address. Oh, and after you read it, please take the time to PM Terri (ScarpuT) with any good Bob stories or other remembrances.

I'll warn you that in light of having lost him, it's a tough read, but a really good one.:)
Walt

The "read" put together by Terri was phenomenal. It is so meaningful that his thoughts and experiences were captured like that! I have a copy too so if you write me for pictures let me know if you have this already so I won't duplicate it and overload your mailbox.
"When you have tasted flight, you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be." Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

So, now it seems we have stickers, a patch, a cd and a book. That's cool! When Carey gives me the shipping info for the stickers, I'll put all of the info for those items together in one post and put it in Bonfire.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So, now it seems we have stickers, a patch, a cd and a book. That's cool! When Carey gives me the shipping info for the stickers, I'll put all of the info for those items together in one post and put it in Bonfire.

I am suprised there isn't a movie coming out soon.lol he deserves it, just hope there is room for a chubby english man in there.
Anyways, i put together a dvd of BOBs last few jumps. A few people asked about it at deland. I will try and get them out next week for all of you.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I love to see the ones you've seen, as I have seen none.
Are they posted?

Laurel, I posted a link the pics I took at the memorial. It should be a few posts back, posted the day of the memorial...

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Did you know my brother Danny Page?
can you tell me something about him?
We are having a thing for him in Wisconsin on the 22 of April
and I would like some thoughts from his skydiving buddy's.
Thank you so much if you can help me. if not.
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
Sincerely Trish Page.
Danny's little sister.

Thank you for the photos.
There will be another service for Danny in Kenosha WI. on the 22 of
April and the photo's are very nice to have.
Did you know him well?
Is there anything you want to write for me so
I can say it at the thing/lunch/service/celibration/
memorial/family reunion.
Here is a photo. Danny was my Big Brother.
I always thought we would see each other again someday,
maybe do lunch or something. Get a beer.
I want to brag about my brother for the first time in my life.
He was the rockstar of the whole family.
Thanks again.
All the best.
Trish Page
Danny's sister

Dammit Chief...I fucking miss you even though I haven't seen you since 2000... Why?

I got a mini (about 2inches tall) set of CMSgt stripes to sew next to the B.O.B. patches on my gear bag and my jumpsuit.

Fuck--why Bob? Goddamn it.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Wow, I am so blown away by my brothers life.
Thank you for you thoughts of Danny,
They are hepling me get to know him,
I will post your thoughts on a board that we are making for his
service in Wi on 22 of April.
I am so proud to say that Danny Page is My brother.
Take care
Sincerely, Trish Page

Hi Adam,
Thank you for you wonderful words about my brother Danny.
If it's okay with you I will post your words at the memorial in Wisconsin. It will be on the 22 of April. If they is any other stories you
can recall that you would like to share that would be nice.
Take care of your self.
Sincerely, Trish Page

Thank you for what you said. I am looking for stories for
his memorial in Wisconsin on the 22 of April. Will you be attending
the jump in NC on the 28th of April?
Thank you again.
Take care of your self
Sincerely, Trish Page
Danny's sister

Trish, I plan on being there - even if the Dr won't let me jump yet.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

First, if you have email addresses for anyone you know that may be interested, please pass this on:
The patch is ordered, though the background will be one solid shade of sky blue instead of the green, see attached, but picture it with one shade, I couldn't get the shade to duplicate for this file.
all the stuff on it: lettering, beret, eclipse, border and stars will be embroidered. They will be ready to mail out next week.
The cost is $10 each, with roughly half of the proceeds to be forwarded to Bob's favorite cause at www.Bentprop.org in check form on his birthday, the first week of June. I'll find out the exact date. I think we should celebrate the date of life of our friend, and not remember him by the date of his unfortunate death. The rest will go to cost of production and postage. I'm not profitting from this except in my heart.

I will accept personal checks or postal money orders only. Or cash if you catch me at the DZ somewhere.
Checks must clear first!
Please send a self-addressed envelope or sticky label with your mailing address on it for expedience. It would sure help me get these out faster.

Mail to:

B.O.B. Patch
c/o Laurel Moreira
P.O. Box 3056
Statesboro, GA 30459

Let's get these out and put them on our jumpsuits, our gear bags, anywhere--- to pay tribute to our friend, our mentor, our Chief.
And to remind us that senseless acts often come at a great cost.
Bluest of Skies to all Friends of B.O.B.
Love y'all,
Laurie
Laurel Nichols

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.-Anon