PhreeZone

Condolence thread for Danny Page and Bob Holler

Danny Page - I never saw you when you didn't have a huge smile on your face. Always happy and willing to help anyone.

I met Danny a couple years ago in Thomaston. He was loud, obnoxious, and opinionated; we bonded immediately. :)

Most people know him as an attorney, but Danny also served in the Air Force. If I'm not mistaken, as a Combat Controller, but my memory doesn't do his special operations career justice. If somebody has some appropriate details, now might be a nice time to mention them.

I wish I had known Bob, but unfortunately I'd only seen him in passing. I can see that he was a person that made this world a better place.

"That Others May Live"
"First In"

Blue Skies Danny and Bob,
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

damn Bob! I remember how much I hated you when we first met. It was the sunset load and it was a little windy, I had a brain-fart and landed downwind across the beer line and got my jumpsuit dirty. EVERYONE who was on the deck saw it so I turned my back to them in shame. Then I see this short guy come walking on out, and I'm thinking "oh shit...." He asked me what the line was that I crossed, and I said it was the "beer line". He said "no....I call it the safety line and it is here for a reason" He made me feel really small and I thought to myself, this guy is an asshole. I had no clue who he was at that time.

A few months later, and a few jumps wiser, bob asks me if I would like to start jumping with him in his 'small' group. I accepted and learned what a great guy he really was. Safety was number one with him and he would emphasize it time and time again both before and after the jump. His military career is probably what made him seem brash at times but I'm thankful for the brashness. He would make you really think about something that you've done wrong but at the same time tell you something positive. I've learned more from Bob then anyone else in the sport. I still have so much to learn but am going to treasure every finger-shaking, scolding, smile and jump that he gave me. Because of you, my friend, I am a better, and safer skydiver. You'll be missed in Deland. I'll be sure to smoke a fat Cohiba for you my brother!

Blue Skies & Peace,
Randy

I never got to know Bob very well, but I liked him right away the first time we met. I first met him at Bill and Amy's during xmas. I stopped by to drop off a couple of gifts and he and Molly were there. Bill and Amy's parents and Amy's sister were in the living room. A few of us were in the kitchen talking. I believe it was Molly who brought up the fact that Bob has 2 tattoos on his ass, one on each cheek. I told him I wanted to see them, not believing he would show them with parents in the house. He said OK, pulled down his pants and showed me his tattoos. I told him he had a nice ass. He said, "you like my ass? Thanks." :)
BSBD Bob and Danny :(
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Danny was indeed a Combat Controller in the Air Force. He was active duty back in the stone age then got out for about 10yrs to pursue skydiving and other ventures. He has been in the Kentucky Air National Guard for about the last seven or so years. He has been deployed all over the world, especially since 9/11.

I was also a Combat Controller in the same unit as Danny, so I had the pleasure of working for him for the last 5 years. I also worked for Bob while we were deployed to Afghanistan in 2001. Both will be sorely missed by not only the skydiving community but the Air Force Special Operations community.

I will miss the days of going to a local bar or restaurant with Danny and watch him harrass every waitress in the place.

Danny was looked at as slightly abbrassive but thats what made him Danny. He was extremely loyal to all his friends and he would do anything for you.

I have a favor to ask of everyone who reads this. I am putting together a video for Danny, possibly to be done by saturday. I have alot of his military footage some of which is military freefall. I would love to get my hands on some civilian jump videos of Danny because skydiving was such a big part of his life. my email is [email protected] and i will post the final product on www.youtube.com/amcortese. I will gladly pay overnight postage both ways if neccesary.

Good-bye brothers. Thank you for your service to your country and for your dedication and commitment to our sport. You both positively touched so many people, leaving a legacy that will endure your passing. I will miss you both deeply, but rest well knowing that every memory I have of Bob was that he was HAPPY! Retirement surely agreed with him! Danny was, well, Danny! Very different men in many respects, but both LIVED life to the fullest.

Several of us will attend the ceremonies on Friday, but for the SOF community that can't join us, I know they send their deepest sympathies. The senior USAF CCT/PJ community is well-aware and monitoring the updates.

Blue Skies,
Cris Fucci
LTC, USA
USSOCOM Parachute Team

I did not get to know B.O.B. which I regret. I did get to know Danny. I met him at the Collegiate Nationals banquet. He sat at our table next to us. This was before I had started jumping so of course he started grilling be about why I hadn’t and when I was going to start. The way that he always did. He told me to take AFF the next morning,, I thought he was joking but when I saw him at the airport the next day he looked at me and asked “Are you taking a break from the class?” I responded HUH?! Over the next few months we talked, he did one of my AFF jumps, and was always there to poke fun and flash that big smile, or answer a question that I had. He believed in tough love and was great at it. I remember one jump where we were working on my fall rate, the jump was a disaster, but he was videoing me, I couldn’t get up to him and anyway we landed and he looked at me and just laughed. I apologized and he said lets go talk about it. Well his way of talking about it was to put this horrendous dive on the BIG screen at SDA. If you haven’t been to SDA they have a projector that hangs from the ceiling and plays on what is like a movie theater size screen. So anyway he puts the dive on the screen and is like lets look at this, and goes through it once just making fun of me. Then makes me get on the ground and practice something that he calls an angry cat. We have gathered quite a crowd by this point and everyone is laughing. At me, with me, with him. It was a great time. Another story about Danny, I called him after my first cutaway and told him that I was kind of shaken up. He was like well did you do everything right? Did everything work right? I responded yes, I had and so had the gear, he said then what the hell are you worried about. That was Danny’s way sometimes He called it like he saw it. I was fortunate enough to be hanging around with him around the fire on Friday night, we got to talking and it some how lead to him kissing me on the cheek and telling me he loved me. Its really strange how these interactions mean more after the fact.

Danny meant a lot to a lot of people, myself and my girlfriend included. You will always be loved and remembered. Blue Skies! Fly Free!
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

As I sift through many of my older photos and find ones of Danny, it reminds me of all the stories.
I know its going to be tough when I go to Skydive Atlanta this weekend.
Danny always did a great job of getting Trey all worked up. Well one day he just decides to park right in front of the hangar, unloads his stuff and gets on a load. Didnt move his car at all. So, Trey trying to get back at him decided to mark around his car with white spray paint and put the name Danny right next to it. Danny proceeded to park there for many following weekends. I know those markings are still there, I know my friend will never park there again. :(
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I remember that night. Several people pee'd on Danny's tires and I remember Danny laughing, he thought it was great! I wish I had known him longer. But I have many memories of him from this past year that I am not soon to forget. I will miss him so very much!
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

i remember when he left his car out front, (not in his spot) he left the keys in the ingnition. corey and i took it drove it to the end of the runway and parked it. got back to the hanger and tied the key to a chain hangin from the ceiling. wrpped a comdom around it. it was funny to see him jump for it a fall everytime he hit the lube. when he finnally got it down he said.....

oooh i wonder who was behind this?!!

gave me a hug and kiss and said nice work.
"laid back - with my mind on my **** and my......"

If my memory is correct that is the night we hung his keys on up on a string with the condom. He was so funny trying to get that down. And Hippie you are correct about the markings on the ground out side the hanger. I saw them last weekend and it made me laugh. Its going to be really hard when we all see that.:( I miss him so much. :(:(

"It was Moses!"
"Our Shenanigan leader was laid back this weekend"

Danny... man you were a character!

Before we even met, I called Danny to ask for directions to the hotel and we ended up talking on the phone for 30 minutes. We didn't see eye to eye in ANYTHING and it was awesome... in that short weekend I spent with him we had some of the most interesting arguments I've had in a long time.

Danny took his sister on her first tandem last month in Puerto Rico and I had the pleasure of jumping out with them. I'll never forget that jump... he was so happy and proud of her and you could feel the love between them. Thank you Danny, for sharing that with me.

I've attached two pictures of that jump. Man, he loved skydiving...

~ * Life Has No Rules * ~

In the military, Bob was considered "the best of the best" meaning he was physically tough and highly intelligent. He served 30+ years in the US Air Force. Bob Holler is a retired Pararescue Chief (E-9), he was also a USPA certified Accelerated Freefall Instructor for the 23rd AF MTT from November 1984 through August 1986. The 23rd AFF MTT intructors and course were certified and validated by the US Army as an approved military freefall and High Glide Ratio parachute qualification course. From the period 1984 to 1986 the 23rd AF MTT trained and qualified 300 pararescuemen plus a couple of other AF and non-Air Force military personnel here and there.

Here is a photo of Bob and his unit in Afghanistan I dug up from the internet. Bob is in the middle of the photo.

I am Bob Holler's little sister, Terri. I and my family so appreciate all of the kind words. We wouldm like to give our condolences to Danny Paiges family. I understand that Danny and Bob were friends? Anything you tell us wiull be greatly appreciated. For those that don't know, the servise is friday at 1:00 in Deland.

any word on when Danny's service will be held? Not only did danny touch us as skydivers but my old coaches from AllStars went to Law School with him. And they just loved him and said he would always make them laugh.

"It was Moses!"
"Our Shenanigan leader was laid back this weekend"