1 1
moonglo

RIP Hutch (Houston 2/21)

Just got word that he tracked off at 4am this morning. Blue skies Hutch, Woof!

Sigh.... Another one of the WFFC's coolest load organizers gone. I'm glad I got to see him at WFFC 2006. I knew he was ill, but it still doesn't make it easier.

Not long ago...

Hey, Big 'Un -

Sorry to miss your phone call. I'll try to get you back on the phone, but my cell is flakey from the home location. Things not going all that well on this end, as you might suspect. Fighting the beast but gradually losing ground. But, what the hell? I do my best and that's about it. Skyfest has turned into a classy event - wish I could make it but the chances are pretty low . Anyhow, enjoy and have a jump for me, please. That's about it from this end. Hope all goes well for you. And thanks for your kind wishes. They mean a lot.

Woof,
Hutch

Hutch & I met in 2000 WFFC while sharing the same passion to help others get their SCR/S. A long-term friendship was instantaneous. One of those people you've met for the first time, but whom you've known all your life. This was a true gentleman of the sport. He looked at a person and saw only their strengths and was a friend to all. He was taken from us way too soon.

Forgive the length of this post. I am very sad and just left him a voice mail telling him I loved him and that I'll see him on the other side. (Edit: I only share this because he taught me that saying, "I love you, Brother" between two men in the presence of others and meaning it does not have to feel awkward).

I will honor your request to make a jump for you at SkyFest, my friend.

Woof!
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My first jump there must be a solo. To say Good-bye to my friend.

Afterwards, I would be honored if that is what everyone else would like me to do. There may be others of equal friendship and representation that could share in such an honor. We can all discuss it then.

Knowing Hutch, I think we can honor him best by emulating his "Pass it Forward." Let's help as many "Young 'Uns" achieve their SCR/S'

It was one of his favorite things to do.

Thanks, Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Aw, dammit... Blue Skies forever, Hutch... you will be missed. Thank you for your knowledge, your willingness to take this newbie under your wing, and most importantly... your friendship.

Woof!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My first jump there must be a solo. To say Good-bye to my friend.

I understand completely.

Afterwards, I would be honored if that is what everyone else would like me to do. There may be others of equal friendship and representation that could share in such an honor. We can all discuss it then.

I'm sure he had many friends who would love to help put something together. If such a jump does happen I'll unhook my wings for a bit to join in or help out as needed.

Knowing Hutch, I think we can honor him best by emulating his "Pass it Forward." Let's help as many "Young 'Uns" achieve their SCR/S'

It was one of his favorite things to do.

You are so very right about that! :)

Blue Skies to one of the nicest persons I ever jumped with.

Here is a picture I have of Hutch up in the sky. (Red jumpsuit on the right) It is from a skydive we made at Waller, Tx celebrating Mike Blanton's 300th skydive. Hutch you made this dive fun for all in the air and on the ground afterwards.

My Condolences to Hutch's family and friends.

Woof Woof

Chris

Woof Woof Woof......

I won't claim any more friendship than others with the Skydog.And having fun and being safe is what a Skydog is all about. Woof Woof Woof. Do the serious stuff on the ground.....have fun in the air.

He loved the WFFC, Ballunarfest, Herc Boogie, SCR's and all of his buddies in Texas and Florida. Hutch was a good person and a great ambassador for the sport.

If you ever skydived with him, then you know about his love for the sport. Hell most of my skydives with him didn't work out, but damn we had a lot of fun!

I'd heard that he was sick...very sick about a year back. His last visit to the dz was about 6-7 weeks ago. He was still talking about jumping......holding at jump#1485.

My last visit with Hutch was three weeks ago. We visited while Mary went to the cleaners. He knew the end was approaching. Hutch was using a walker and even though his body was wearing out, his wit was still keen.

What do you say to a dying skydiver? You talk about skydiving of course! That #1485 stuck in my head so I gave him 15 of my jumps. Skydogs can do that kind of shit.

Hutch did not know about Johnny Gates' demise.

I told him about how Johnny died.
Hutch responded "That fucker" and shaking his head slowly and smiling...."that lucky son of a bitch...died doing what he loved best...what a way to go... I just wish."

We spoke about a lot of other things. I could see that he was tiring & our visit was over... way too soon.

Mary returned and I left.

The sport has lost a kindred spirit. Hutch would want you to carry on in the skydog way.......

Woof Woof Woof!

Sometime next month after a day of jumping...... I'll buy some beer and we can tell stories around the bonfire.

Hutch would like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't go away mad....just go away!

Here's an email from Andie in England.....

damn

you know, someone else who had lived through as much as Hutch, and been where he had been, might have turned out to be a really twisted mf. Not Hutch.

And, you know, I think there are just a few times in your life that you are lucky enough to come across someone who is so genuine and so open and so giving of energy that you can instantly picture their face and hear their voice and smile at the memory years after you last met them. That was Hutch.

I just reran a video from Quincy - I don't know maybe it was taken 10 years ago - a helicopter jump where Skydive Houston chartered the whole ride.... there's this guy, big, bandanna'd, in the middle of it all, and smiling from ear to ear. That was Hutch.

Don, you used to say I was from South Texas, waaaaay South Texas... and when I first met Hutch I thought I was getting special treatment because of my Aussie accent.... some connection with his past, but I don't think this was it. I think Hutch just genuinely liked people - and people genuinely liked Hutch.

He's one guy I really look forward to hooking up with in the big beyond.

damn.

Andrew

I wanna say that I met hutch at the Convention, sunset no jumpsuit load. Some giant motherfucker comes over (Bigun) and says hey man we're in!
So I say great! Then this guy comes over Woof Woof Woof!! Little did I know who he was. Come to find out he's one of the coolest guys I have had the pleasure of meeting- immediately likable, jump with anyone, didn't give a shit if the formation wasn't one!! He was just happy to be jumping and to be with a great group of people.
Can't say enough good stuff about him- definitely one of the good guy's.
BSBD Hutch.

Don, could you (or anyone else) post some more about skydogs and their traditions? Some newer jumpers were asking me and I'm sorry to say I couldn't tell them much. :$ Maybe in the Hutch/Skydog thread in history & trivia so it doesn't get so far lost? Thanks!

Don, could you (or anyone else) post some more about skydogs and their traditions? Some newer jumpers were asking me and I'm sorry to say I couldn't tell them much. :$ Maybe in the Hutch/Skydog thread in history & trivia so it doesn't get so far lost? Thanks!

Hutch gave me a set of the Skydog rules.

I'll scan 'em and post 'em up tonight.

Woof Woof Woof.

(Hutch was) One of those people you've met for the first time, but whom you've known all your life.

... I am very sad and just left him a voice mail telling him I loved him and that I'll see him on the other side. (Edit: I only share this because he taught me that saying, "I love you, Brother" between two men in the presence of others and meaning it does not have to feel awkward).

Keith: You have a way with words. A beautiful tribute to your friend!

Dick

Don, could you (or anyone else) post some more about skydogs and their traditions?

Essentially, the creed is similar to something I say often..."Have fun, don't die." Skydogs are fundamentally opposed to the skygod attitude, and committed to having fun with and mentoring the less experienced. A 4-point 4-way with three novices is much more rewarding than a couple-point 20-way with a bunch of finger-pointing and a half-hour dirt-dive. "We put the fun in funnel" and "We may not be the best, but we always hit the ground" are a couple skydog sayings. I've got my membership card and some related stuff at home that I could find and type up if you want, but the above is the basic gist of it.

For the Top Dog, Hutch...woof! [:/]

Blues,
Dave
Skydog-575
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)