xenaswampjumper

Muff Muff Johnny Gates...........

WOW THANKS TO WHOEVER PUT THAT LAST PICTURE ON THE SKYDIVECITY KODAK SITE THINGY

THATS ABOUT AS CLOSE TO THE BIRTH OF MUFFDOM AS YOU CAN GET EARLY 90"S LATE 80"S I DONT KNOW.

DENNIS MCGLYNN MB#1 DREAMED IT UP JOHNNY TOOK THAT VIBE AND MADE IT WHAT IT IS TODAY.
I REMEMBER WE HAD A VOTE ABOUT THE LITTLE CHEER AND SWITCHED FROM BLUE SKYS ,BLACK DEATH, TO BLUE SKYS BLACK CROTHLESS UNDERWARE.

WELL, I MISS THEM DAYS, I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO HAVE A PIECE OF MUFF BROTHER CRAZYNESS SIRGICALLY REMOVED THIS MORNING , GONNA TAKE THESE SUVONEER SCREWS FROM MY ANKLE EARNED AS A HARD PRACTICING MUFF BROTHER

HEY ASSHOLE

JUSTIN MB 66
WAKE UP TANDEMGUY !THERES A DUI CHECKPOINT UP AHEAD

Take care Justin...... if your surgeon tells the nurse to remove your spectacles before they take out the screws, make sure she doesn't get mixed up and remove something that sounds like spectacles, but starts with "T."

By the way, I found that 8X10 in an old album and just took a digital picture of it. I think that old PLL neon sign was down at Lake Wales. Might have been lost in one of the hurricanes.
Dano

Justin! That you! Harry Parker here. If I remember right, I had to explain to your WIFE WHY the hell you needed to get pins, Quincy 97? Bet that was the last time you jumped a round!

Yes, Dennis started the muff brothers many years ago and well................Johnny carried the torch. Oh, yeah, don't forget to mention Steve Jester, God forbid or he might freak out or something.

Johnny Gates will forever be remembered as the “guy who go me on THAT load.”

He embodied the spirit of skydiving, camaraderie, the bond that creates a team, a club and friends that become family and last forever.

I can only wish that the videos of the conventions of the mid 90’s survived portraying Johnny as the leader Muffing his way through life easy and carefree. We ruled back in those days. When the Muff Brothers showed up, move over cause we were taking over. Dennis and the gang would show up, scheme, covertly plan and pretty much get away with anything. Johnny was always there to lead the cheers, the dives and vibe, all we had to do was stir the pot and back him up or cover for him when we poached slots or stalled the plane.

Skydiving was about nothing but fun and feeling extremely lucky for being able to do what we get to do as skydivers. He would jump with anyone, no matter what the experience. He made himself the opposite of the Sky-God and he did it with style.

Johnny personified the Muff Brothers. Through the Muff Brothers he found his true calling, creating something from nothing and making it the most valuable experience possible, just like his life. The Muff Brothers could not have hoped for a better human to show up for the job of keeping the book and creating new members.

We all could not have hoped for a better person from heart to soul to carry the torch of spirit, friendship, fun and the Muff Brother Flag.

Johnny’s deep raspy voice will forever be heard at Z-Hills and shall rattle the doors of planes and the ears of tandems across the globe till the end of time due to his diligence of spreading his love and light to all he met.

As a skydiver he has had more contact with up and coming jumpers then anyone on record. His egoless style with jumpers made life long friends and impacts on everyone he met. Truly, if you got to jump with Johnny when you first started out in skydiving, your career as a jumper took a new path.

He will forever be an icon to Z-Hills and to everyone who met him. His impact on the sport itself is immeasurable as the good will and spirits are passed on through everyone he jumped or muffed.

We can only hope we get to go that way, tracking into the sunset on his way to Gaspirllia in Tampa on the 20th. He couldn’t have thought up a better exit himself.

Johnny is not gone and never will be. He is one of the few who are called a legend and he lives through us everyday.

Muff Muff Muff !

Harry Parker MB#376
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"
Mario Andretti

well.....the viewing at the funeral home is taking place now and I just wanted to extend all my love to family and friends, however I can not attend.

I DO NOT do well at these things and I prefer to remember Johnny as he had lived, FULL OF LIFE!!!!however I am thinking of all his loved ones and friends and sending many hugs!!! I will be at the DZ on saturday for your "wake" asshole!!!:)
Thinkin of ya Johnny.....your such an asshole!!!!!:)

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

VERY WELL SAID HARRY

NICE JOB WITH THE PICTURE DAN

BEE THERE THIS WEEKEND AND WE'LL HAVE SOME FUN
!!!!!!!!
HARRY
I GOT MILO AND MILO VIDEO AND SKYDIVING WITH ELVIS IF ANYBODY CAN BURN THEM TO DVD ILL BUY THE DISKS AND PASS THEM OUT
ITS CLASSIC MUFF BROTHER STUFF W/ JOHNNY
EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE

PM ME IF ANYBODY DOWN THERE HAS THE TECHNOLOGY AND THE DRIVE/INTREST

THANKS FOR THE PICTURE DAN THAT MADE MY DAY

I WAS LISTENING TO THE SONG SOUL SHINE THIS MORNING GOVENMENT MULE ALLMAN BROTHERS

THATS JOHNNY ALL OVER

JUSTIN MB 66
WAKE UP TANDEMGUY !THERES A DUI CHECKPOINT UP AHEAD

i met johnny for the first - and only - time on the day he died.
i was at zhills finishing up my aff and coach jumps. i was heading back to my camper in the afternoon, after my last jump of the day. johnny and another guy were walking in my direction and johnny smiled at me made a comment about my being done for the day. i honestly don't even remember what we said to each other, but i do remember his smile and how cool it was that a total stranger had made it a point to engage in conversation with a newbie such as myself and be so damn friendly.

as i was getting supper ready i heard the sirens of the ambulences that came for johnny. at a very subdued bonfire that evening i learned that this was the very same guy who had chatted me up a few hours earlier. i heard some amazing stories about the man that night.

i don't know if there was any purpose in my having met johnny for that brief conversation, but it is certainly a honor to be able to say i knew him, even for all of 2 minutes.

blue skies.

You've just described one of the typical ways Johnny met people...and he would always welcome you to jump with him too!

i wish i had that opportunity...

I'm glad you got to meet him...he was a pretty effin cool guy.:)

me too. i wasn't even sure if i should share my brief experience here on this forum since i hardly knew him.

I just came from Johnny's Funeral, There was a good turn out, and it was over all a celebration of his life. Im still in shock, I guess I just figured he was one of those people who would be around forever. I feel so lucky to have know such an amazing person! MUFF MUFF!

MB 3714

From Capt36:

Johnny 'Rocket Man' Gates, no finer an example of the best of the Muff Brothers ever! For over 20 years, a person to always greet, whenever I visited 'The Hills'. I believe he authored the "Hey Asshole!" greeting, too. Probably attended more WFFC/Freak Brother Conventions, than any skydiver to date. The check's in the mail to the USPA for ya, buddy.
Blue skies, infinite freefalls.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just found out about Johnny as my computer has been down for a few day. This news has ruined my day and makes me really sad.

During my 14 years in the sport, Johnny Gates was one of my favorite skydivers to jump with. He defined what the sport is all about: FUN. I always enjoyed his positive, fun attitude and the Magic Carpet rides that he organized at WFFC.

What a loss.

Today was a "sad" but inspiring day at the DZ. To think that so many showed up just for Johnny and the two AWESOME SKYDIVES done in his honor was fantastic!!!!!

Johnny was and will be for many many years a BRIGHT shining star at zhills and for many skydivers. A kind man with no malice towards anyone!!! and one that made people feel welcome, even if they weren't his "best friend"......

He was one of my first jumps as a licensed skydiver and I was on his next to last jump. I feel HONORED to have been in the presence of such a wonderful person.

So skydivers out there.....tell those around you(as I am conveying this to my special peeps) that you love them, appreciate them and that they are special while they are still around!!! as tomorrow is never promised......god knows I thought Johnny would be around forever!!!!;):D:)
Johnny you are and will always be loved.....thank you for being kind to me and making me feel part of something so wonderful as a group of ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!:):P:)

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

I've spent nearly every weekend at Zhills since '99. My routine is predictable: get coffee, get the finger from Johnny, say hi to everyone, make some jumps, walk in hearing him shout "muff muff muff" while he was coming in on final.

I was making a 4-way training jump, getting out after Johnny's 8-way on his last skydive. I had my eyes closed, visualizing and then I heard "Blue Skies! Black Crotchless Underwear!" so you know O D A F totally went down the can.

I'm going to miss Johnny more than I can say.

Hello divers. Thank you for being a friend of Uncle Jack's. He was an uncle, a friend, and the coolest man alive until his final ride. I last saw him in September06 as he made a suprise visit to my mothers 60th birthday party. What a memory. We will move on, the sun will rise tomorrow, and the jumps will continue for the muff crew. But we will never forget him and always remind ourselves of two simple Johny Gates rules.......Never sweat the smuff, and enjoy tthe world as it goes by, YAHOOOOO!!!! If only the rest of the world would take a note. Good bye, I mean, see ya soon Uncle Jack.........Your nephew........Jeff Bacigalupi