xenaswampjumper

Muff Muff Johnny Gates...........

Go to http://paulharvey.com/ and then click on Tuesday afternoon broadcast.

He mentions Johnny about 9 minutes into the broadcast.

don't bother listening to this usual media crap. they just dont get it.

somebody send paul harvey a link to this thread so they can actually get the true story

justin mb66
WAKE UP TANDEMGUY !THERES A DUI CHECKPOINT UP AHEAD

In Johnny's obit they ask for donations to be sent to Victory Junction Gang Camp. Here is a description of it:

The mission of the Victory Junction Gang Camp is to enrich the lives of children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses by providing life-changing camping experiences that are exciting, fun, and empowering, in a safe and medically sound environment. Founded by NASCAR driver Kyle Petty and his wife Pattie in honor of their late son Adam, the Victory Junction Gang Camp is a year-round facility serving children, age 7 to 15. Each summer, children suffering from similar medical conditions including heart, lung and kidney disease, spina bifida, HIV, cancer, burn survivors, neurological disorders, and a host of others, gather to kick back, relax and have some fun. The camp offers traditional activities, including horseback riding, boating and fishing, arts and crafts and others, as well as NASCAR related program areas.

The Victory Junction Gang Camp is a member of the Association of Hole in the Wall Gang Camps and is free to children and their families. The camp operates solely on the generous donations of individuals, corporations and foundation. For more information, visit www.victoryjunction.org.

That is definitely cool!

marc

From the Northern Muff Brothers Written January 21, 2007

yahoo muff muff muff hey assholes,

yesterday my best asshole friend went to that big ear
muff store in the sky... johnny gates was certainly
like no other person or skydiver... the grin forever
attached to his well worn face just had to make you
smile and even on a bad day he was filled with
compassion...just last night about 3:00 or 4:00 in the
morning i thought i should e-mail him since i didn't
get a chance to say goodbye at bridge day... if you
are wondering why i am writing one long sentence with
no capitol letters, it is in johnny's memory for that
is the way he wrote to me and others i know...i know
johhny didn't start the muff brothers and he was
always the first to tell you who did, but as far as
i'm concerned and as most know, their wouldn't be a
muff brothers or at least the thousands who are
members if it wasn't for johnny gates...the who's who
of muff brothers is quite astounding in our little
world of skydiving, of which johnny initiated most.
for years i have thought of johnny almost daily
because a part of his creed is my password on many of
my computer forums...he and i initiated my wife on her
first jump(tandem), last year along with arron stocum
(friend and tandem master) and tony hathaway on
camera, a memory that will forever live in our
hearts...johnny was a big part of the last few
goodtime boogie's and even when i couldn't offer him
much he paid his own way just to be a part of the
fun...i have so much more to say about a man who along
with jerry bird, bob gates and others kept me in
skydiving when i thought i no longer wanted to be a
part of it, yet i hope all of you will share your
stories of johhny and your initiation with me so that
i can compile into some sort of organized muff brother
mess to print and send out. please forward this to
your e-mail lists because mine is in need of much
updating. i don't know if johhny was a
religious kind of guy, but his attitude certainly was
one of generosity and love, you can be sure he will be
trying to initiate the big guy in the sky the first
chance he gets...goodbye for now my friend... i leave
you with the message he always finished his e-mails
with...

"hope to see you soon maybe rantouul or zhill,s if you
get the chance till later have fun & love each other
seeya mb65johnny"

AT 4:20 TODAY AND EVERYDAY RAISE YOUR MIDDLE FINGER
AND SHOUT MUFF MUFF MUFF!

ASSHOLE #2417 RUSTY RAHE

He was one of the first people I met when i came the hills in the late 80's. He never seemed to change a day in all that time. What a life that guy lived, and I can't think of a better way for him to go. A true original, they really don't make them like that any more.

Blue skies Johhny.....

That brought tears to the eyes.....but more of joy at the wonderful life that Johnny lead......:)
as I was thinking about my next visit to zhills this weekend.....I was thinking.......DAMN....JOHHNY GATES WAS/IS ZHILLS!!!!!!!!

and speakin of assholes....;);)

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

Moving post, Rusty.

Met Johnny a few years back in Zhills when he announced on our 12-way he was going to "muff" me. I didn't know what the hell to expect, so I'm thinkin' to myself..."ok, just be prepared on the whole skydive to put someone in a leg-lock when they put their head in my crotch." So, of course that didn't happen and needless to say, I was tentative walking around the dz for awhile afterwards for some pie-in-the-face-like muff-initiation. Little did I know it had already happened. A great skydive with such incredible vibes!

I am very conscious right now of what Johnny was about and I aspire to live more of my life with his "don't take yourself or life too seriously, just have fun" attitude. It is my intent to not have it be a temporary state of being. I'm thinking of having a pair of earmuffs airbrushed onto my Z-1 just to keep me mindful of Johnny's lesson. I feel blessed and am so grateful for having known him, and it feels good to read such wonderful stories about him. He made a difference in so many lives. What an asshole!

MB #3592
"till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65 johnny gates"
...The Finest Asshole I've ever met! Muff, Muff!

I wonder if somone would come with a memorial patch with his rules:

Rule number one: DON'T FUCKING DIE. Rule number two: DON'T SLAM THE FUCKING DOOR!"

Also would be included Earmuffs....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Look at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M40P2/ref=olp_product_details/002-0669351-4636852?ie=UTF8&seller=
I think they ship overnight (especially for bigger orders, if more people want to order muffs)
Thanks a lot for setting up the account and taking care of the Parachutist thing!
Barbara
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice.

I've been looking for orange ear muffs on line all morning. Do you have any clue how hard it is to find ear muffs in Florida????
:S:D

Pffffff...we got 'em here in NY, I'll bring you a pair! (insert Muff Smiley here!)
"till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65 johnny gates"
...The Finest Asshole I've ever met! Muff, Muff!

earlier today i sent this note to a friend who encouraged me to share it here.........

......I was only at Quincy 2 times and didn't have a camcorder the first time ( '94 ).>:(
The next time, ( i think it was '98) I got a video of this guy with a big smile on his face riding by on a bicycle:|

Chiseled features, twinkling eyes, Long hair , white beard, WEARING his jumpsuit,:$B|;) and muttering to no one in particular, " muff muff muff muff muff muff " as he rode rode outta the frame....:)hahahahaha......
He was having as much fun that day, as i was having...B|B|B| and
I remembered him from the first time I was there, cause we made a few jumps together out of an otter...:D
I never got his name that day
and
never saw him again in person, [:/]
but was hoping to.:)
That moment, that day @ the convention, was yet another one, of the many many times over the past decades, that I have grinned to myself and thought "man, I Love this sport"
Years later, I came to realize 'that old guy' was/IS..... johnny gates,
and learned what dropzone he called HOME.....and what great vibes he helped to create there ...

I am sure that his spirit will Hover Happily over Zephyrhills Airport .... forever..:)
Peace and comfort to all who knew him and love him.

jmy

Wow! That's awesome, the asshole even had an honorable mention on Paul Harvey's news! MUFF MUFF :)
I sent these pics to TK for the gallery, but though I'd post them here too. They're pictures from when a group of us jumped out of the B-17 Bomber at Zhills about 5 years ago.
Leslieann
MB 1602

That was another touching story!!!! Thought I would share a couple of pics......and loved that Johnny called me Buckwheat!!!! don't know why....don't care..just loved it:)

I think he called everybody 'buckwheat'!

Johnny's name is painted on the side of that bomber by the way, as a major contributor to its upkeep.

That's a nice group with you LeslieAnn.....about $3000 worth of jump tixs, huh? The bomber jump tixs were around $350 last time...

Love ya,
Marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

hum.....never heard him call anyone else that, but who knows.......johnny did fly by the seat of his pants!!!!!!! even if they were patchwork pants!!!!!:D:D:D

Been reading this thread for a couple of days and I don't think I can add very much to what has already been said.

Johnny you were a true Icon in this sport and a fun luvin party one at that.

Above all you were a genuinely good person and I know God has reserved a special place for you.

Blue Skies Forever

Chris

I didn't know his name during my rides to altitude but nobody has made me laugh like he did on the otter. I enjoyed sharing many flights with him at the Thanksgiving Boogie. When I read about him, not knowing his name, on here only one asshole came to mind and regretfully it was him.

"Fuck the tandems!", I remember hearing in response to one of his comments from his clan. As a newbie to the sport it was my first time seeing the sloppy rigs overflowing for crew work.

He's probably looking down at us right now with soap in his mouth.

I'm glad to hear he died doing what he enjoyed!

I knew Johnny for over 10 Years. I canot believe he is gone and I cannot be there.:( He was A TRUE SOUL!

I may have to catch up with ya'll on a trip sometime. I am going to be doing some travels soon. At least as much as the Military will let me.

You and the Wifey Stay Safe and Have FUN! :)

Laters,

Keith

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES