vnahum

Josh''s accident info

Hi guys. It's Victoria Nahum. Thank you so, so much for all of your love and support for Josh and us. We will never forget you. Here is what I know:

On September 2nd Josh was critically injured in a freak accident due to complex air density near Boulder, Colorado. In the ensuing weeks since initially experiencing a broken femur and skull fracture, he developed hydrocephalus, bacterial meningitis in 2 separate incidents and a tragic spinal cord injury due to acquired cerebellar tonsillar herniation. (Brain herniation)

In the weeks that followed Josh’s initial injuries we were hopeful that, even though the experts told us Josh would have a long road ahead, he would, with rehabilitation, fully recover within a year or two.

Late afternoon on Monday, October 9th Josh’s neurosurgeon performed a lumbar puncture to ward off a spiking fever and increased pressure around his brain. 5 hours later Josh coded and stopped breathing becoming comatose with no respiratory effort whatsoever. The Emergency Room was called and he was put on a ventilator. His neurosurgeon was awakened from sleep at home and rushed to Josh. He reinserted the ventriculostomy (drain tube in his head) at which point Josh awoke and was responsive again.

The ventric procedure saved his life but the ensuing spinal cord injury, down to his thoracic spine caused by an excessive pressure buildup on his brain, permanently interrupted his ability to breathe on his own as well as his ability to move his head, arms or legs ever again. In a matter of just a few moments Josh, our bright and spirited, adventurous son in the prime of his life had suddenly become a ventilator-dependent quadriplegic with no hope of ever recovering. As the doctor explained Josh’s awful condition to us I couldn’t stand it; the words sounded so mean, even evil to me as they fell out of the doctor’s mouth. Even now I vividly remember wanting him to stop saying them and in my minds eye I actually imagined clasping my hand over his lips so that he would stop talking.

Less than two weeks later, our extraordinary and beloved 27 year old son finally died from that series of unexpected complications arising from his initial head injuries. I am still struggling with our grievous loss and have terrible moments when I am emotionally overwhelmed, finding it unbearable to imagine the world without him in it; without him with us, in our lives.

I love you Josh. I want you to know I am a better person for having known you.

[email protected]

Hi Victoria,

I did not know Josh, but your post is proof of the love and courage that surrounded him.

My heartfelt condolences to you! May you have peace.

Love,
g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I didn't meet Josh but my heart goes out to you and your family along with my deep condolences. I will keep Josh and your family in my prayers

BSBD:(
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Deepest condolences on your loss.

I know that there is nothing anyone can say that would lessen your grief, but take comfort in knowing that indeed, we all morn with you.

You and your family Victoria, are in our thoughts and prayers.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Victoria, how blessed you are to have had Josh. Yes, at times it's overwhelming. When those moments come, reach inward for those cherished memories. See his smile, hear his laugh, know his love again. Find them in the rays of the sun, the whisper of the wind, the soft warmth of a fireplace...and know he lives on forever, and is reaching to you to let you know he's not gone, not really...just gone for now.

You have had a rough, rough few weeks, and have been in the prayers of many here. Rest assured that you will continue to be in our prayers, and that if there's anything that you need, all you need to do is ask.

Godspeed, Josh, and peace to you and yours, Victoria. Blessed be.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Josh was a great person who will be missed by many people. He was taken too early from us, but for those of us who were lucky enough to have him as a friend, we are blessed.

BSBD bro ... hopefully we will meet again when I get there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

. . . and he flies free,
he soars as he has always dreamed.

His flight IS his dream,
and he will dream forever.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Victoria,
I jumped with Josh on several occasions at Mile High and he was the Tandem Instructor the day my wife decided to go on a tandem jump. I was pleased that it was Josh that was her TI, and she had a great time. Josh looked out for the safety of others and he and I had a few talks when he was concerned about something I did. He approached me with a firm but gentle attitude, and as a newbie I appreciated his tips and his way of helping me learn. I have missed his upbeat presence at Mile High. He will not soon be forgotten around here. I am saddened even now when I think about him, and I offer you my sincere condolences and prayers for your family. I hope for peace for all of you.
Blue Skies, Josh, Fly Free until I see you again-
Bill

Just burning a hole in the sky.....