kenz

Brian Schubert

I did not know Brian, however after reading about this incident I felt the need to start a thread for condolences, since there hadn't been one yet.

I am truly sorry to hear about this incident, and am praying for all of his family and friends, and for those that witnessed this today.

Blue Skies Brian
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

His is a very interesting story, and this thread was fascinating to watch as it unfolded, as Brian Schubert and Mike Pelkey (believed to be the first guys to jump El Cap) reconnected with the modern BASE community. It's a shame that reconnection had to end so darkly.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

His is a very interesting story, and this thread was fascinating to watch as it unfolded, as Brian Schubert and Mike Pelkey (believed to be the first guys to jump El Cap) reconnected with the modern BASE community. It's a shame that reconnection had to end so darkly.[:/]

Going through the thread, and reading the closing statement from his daughter at the end, really emphasises the tragedy of this event. :(

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

With all the sensationalistic reporting going on, I am pleased to say that at least National Public Radio had a very sensitive story on Brian's death. Noah Adams, one of NPR's best reporters was covering Bridge Day and actually interviewed Brian just minutes before he jumped. Anyone who would like to listen to this story, as well as the entire interview with Brian, which was edited down for the story, can find both at www.npr.org and I encourage you to do so, you will be impressed with the fairness, respect, and sensitivity they showed him.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

With all the sensationalistic reporting going on, I am pleased to say that at least National Public Radio had a very sensitive story on Brian's death. Noah Adams, one of NPR's best reporters was covering Bridge Day and actually interviewed Brian just minutes before he jumped. Anyone who would like to listen to this story, as well as the entire interview with Brian, which was edited down for the story, can find both at www.npr.org and I encourage you to do so, you will be impressed with the fairness, respect, and sensitivity they showed him.

Thanks for pointing that out. That was just about the best reporting I've seen, read, or heard regarding a fatality in BASE or skydiving. While the TV interview of Bob re: Shannon's death was more intimate and detailed, they had time and an eye-witness on their side who knew the sport and loved the person (and Bob's composure was absolutely amazing).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

A clicky to avoid having to search the site:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6369946
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That was about as good as reporting could be on an incident of this nature. For them to say that fatalities were "rare" at this event gave it perspective that is never seen in most main stream reporting.

This is so sad on so many levels. I am so sorry for Brian, Brian's family, Mike Pelkey and everybody else who knew him and who was there at Bridge day. My condolences to all.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey