Tonto

Condolences - Paul Joseph - AKA darnknit and crwpj

I've tried to edit the Incident thread and remove the multiple request for name and the condolences out. Please post your condolences here.

Tonto

Condolences removed from incidents

PJ was my first tamdem jump instructor and the man who gave me my writen test for my A liscence. He will be missed by many. Blue skys. - dzdaveu47

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is nothing short of tragic - pj was a GREAT guy - i've shared a bunch of good laughs with him and know how valued he was in the crosskeys family -

though i haven't been around in quite some time, i will think back fondly of the memories i did share with him

my deepest condolences to the staff and other friends and family!!

blues my friend Kenz

I know bonfire is the place but I've had to stay out of there.I met PJ at the United Parachute Club.He flew in with "Captain Mike" from Florida to New Hanover airport during a spring opener.I don't remember how many jumps I had at the time, but low numbers.We did a three way,and at break off he held my arm and wouldn't let go.I looked over at him and he pulled me in and licked my goggles,smiled,and let me go. - DBCOOPER

I just found out about P.J. he was a great instructor i had him for one of my tandem and my aff training he explaind thing's to me i will never forget about skydiving i'll miss him greatley.
thank's for the great lessons.
blue sky's forever. JOHNBSKI

Just saw him yesterday. Ran up and got a huge hug and smile after not seeing him in a while...
I did my 3rd tandem and 1st AFF jump with PJ. 1st thing he ever said about either jump when we got on the ground was how much fun he had jumping with me. No other instructor has ever said that. Will never forget that, or him. Condolences to other friends and family. skateraviator

One of the sharpest guys i've ever met, with a wit to be envious of.
Go easy my brother. bozo

I have jumped with him before, I would say he is in his 40's. He is about 6 foot also.

Great guy, I remember we were the last jump of the day for him. He was so happy he got to jump one more time that day. He said the sky was his office and he had the best job. - suedo

heard about this today at a neighboring DZ...

PJ administered my A license exam...2 days before i left for my first trip to eloy....

he was always there to help someone and ALWAYS quick with a joke...

i remember him showing us a video of him in a wrap this past saftey day and explaining how he survived it...

he will be missed..and my deepest condolences go to the staff of xkeys..his frineds..and his family...

keeping in the tradition of darknits posts..ill end it with this..

BLUE STUFF

BSBD my brother - agent_lead

A picture of PJ jumping with his wife, Donna, is attached. PJ was one of my best friends in the world and will be sorely missed by all who knew him! Blue Skies, PJ. - JumpHog

I received a phone call from PJ, out of the blue, about a month or so ago. I worked for him on the packing mat at X-keys off and on for a few years. I hadn't been down there for a couple of years though, and consequently I hadn't spoken to him in just as long.

He told me that he had gotten married since we had last talked, and that he had recently taken over the rigging concession at Skydive Susex. He was really excited about both of those things, and he seemed as happy and content as I ever remember him being.

I told him that I hadn't been doing much jumping over the past couple of years since I had gone back to school full-time. I had actually just sold my rig a week or so before, as I was preparing to begin law school and I knew that the time and financial constraints that I was dealing with were not likely to get any better for the next few years. I was expecting him to really bust my balls over selling my rig, but he was actually extremely positive about the situation. He said that he had stopped jumping for a while when he was younger, and reassured me that it was fine to take a layoff, and that the sport would still be there waiting and as fun as ever when I came back.

At that time, I was living only about a half hour from Sussex, and we talked about grabbing a beer or two one evening before I went off to school again. Sadly, I got busy and preoccupied with my move, and I never did make that call. Tonight, I will drink one for each of us.

BSBD PJ - sstoer

PJ got me current in winter 2005 and taught me quite a few things in that jump

PJ administered my A-license exam

PJ put my rig together

He took my girlfriend on a tandem on July 8th 2006 and gave her a memory she will never forget

Her and I were having a great day together until we heard this

I didn't know PJ well but he loved what he did, was great at it and he had my 110% trust.

...and he put a smile on my face many a time -- not the easiest thing to do.

I'll miss his presence at the dropzone, and his hilarious posts on this site. He was brilliant.

Blue skies forever PJ, rest in peace.

My condolences to those close to him...if there is a public service for him I'd like to know about it so I can show my gratitude one last time. - masterblaster72

PJ was a great friend, person, skydiver and instructor. He was one of my instructors and my coach while I was working on my A license. Here is a pic when my fiancee did her 2nd tandem and they did an ass slide landing. Before she even noticed her ass was hanging out for all to see he was taking off his shirt (pictured in photo) Otherwise everyone would have wondered why there was a full moon in the middle of the day! Of course I took this photo before he wrapped his shirt around her before the walk back to the hanger.....I will always remember him for that. He always put his students first. He will be missed and always respected. - i1tojump

You will be truly missed my friend. It was a pleasure sharing the plane with you on hundreds of occassions. PJ always made his students smile before a jump.

BS forever, my friend. - SuperKat

PJ jumped with me for my third AFF jump. He was/is a great guy, always willing to lend an ear to a newbie.

Brightest Blessings PJ...

Steve - Stevetaylor

I am shocked at this loss. PJ was a great guy with alot of life in him. We will miss him terribly.

Bob
Controlled Descent barnesrf

t
It's the year of the Pig.

PJ awwas, without a doubt, one of the most sincere people ever. He had a great wit, but while being able to joke about anything and see humor in it he'd be the first to be honest about safety issues. We had some great times when I was at Cross Keys. I'll always remember wondering how he managed with bare feet all the time.

PJ gave me a lot of problems when he first started posting in Bonfire. He didn't appreciate some of the rules here. :ph34r: Once we got past that, PJ was quite nice in pm's to me. He would write every once in a while, just to see how the kids and I were doing. I remember him being very excited about getting married this year too. I had to cancel a trip to Cross Keys that I had planned for earlier this year, I regret not being able to meet him now. [:/]

My condolences to all of his friends and family.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

PJ was a great friend to me years ago when I was a shy 100 jump wonder and new to Crosskeys. He helped me through one of my scariest skydiving moments shortly after I moved there- pulling my reserve on the ground before a repack and having nothing come out! He showed me what the previous rigger did wrong, how it should be, and took the time to teach me a lot about my reserve and made me confident enough to trust it after that. My first reserve ride happened about a year later and was packed by him.

My condolences to his family and friends, he will be greatly missed. :(

I got the calls yesterday but didn't find out untill today. PJ was happier last time I saw him in PR than he ever was in the 8 years I knew him. He did almost get his ass kicked for throwing an entire pepper shaker at/on me!
When I first met PJ he didn't own shoes and didn't have two pennies to rub togeather but he could argue and pack like a mad man. I'm glad that the last few years were so great for him. My condolences for his loved ones.
PJ, thanks for hiring me and firing me and re-hiring me all on the same day. Good times and good memories. I'll drink a green bottle for you this evening. Forget about the $20 you owe me.

Blue skies friend,
-Mike

Swoo Rodriguez #1020, LawnDart, AR #007

PJ gave me my first packing lesson. I'll never forget his animated descriptions and warnings of how certain mistakes would leave you "screaming like a school girl". The position he got into when he said it always made me laugh.

I didn't know him well, he seemed happy and goofy but very hard working and safety oriented all at once. My thoughts and prayers are with all who love him.

Melissa

From his Elladan timeframe:

THE MIDROCOSMS
OF THE UNIVERSE

He can feel the plane bank as it makes the final turn to jump run
such a familiar feeling, yet always unique
he's felt it hundreds, thousands of times
and every time that it is a mingling of exploration and experience

The door opens, the only sensation noticed is the cooling
as sweat evaporates from under his clothing
the engines' whine and the winds whispering roar
are merely the clanck of silverware at a restaraunt
the sensation he can't explain, fear and pleasure
adrenalin and endorphine in a boxing match
logic and insanity the referees

The command is givem, EXIT EXIT EXIT
he climbs out, his teammates right behind him
four moving as one, the sum of the parts greater than the whole
he knows, "WE own the sky!"

He lets go of the floater bar, there it is, that feeling, that rush
the universe makes sense
gravity doesn't lie, and the three who are part of him, who he is a
part of
would sooner stand in front of a moving freight train than see harm
cross his path
but only right now, only in these fleeting moments

A demon can enter this microcosm, like any demon it can go by many
names
muphy, karma, fate, shit pick one, it's just a rose
he uses all his training, all his experience, even his ingenuity
but his efforts are to no avail
his only satisfaction will be making all the right decisions
but still losing, there will be no shoulda, woulda, coulda
a small victory

A five year old boy wakes up and starts jumping up and down on his
bed
to him, the universe makes sense, but only right now, only in these
fleeting moments
a demon can enter this microcosm
the boy doesn't know he'll never say "daddy what did you bring me?"
ever again

Time passes, a day, a week, a year, an eternity
pick one, it's just a rose
three men let go of a floater bar
and then a bag of powdery grey memories
the universe makes sense
but only right now, only in these fleeting moments

paul joseph

PJ, your influence stretched farther than you know. You'll be missed. :(

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

PJ rocked. Smart as hell, funny as fuck, and a heart the size of a small country. In most of my visits to Xkeys, I spent more time waiting for the weather to clear than jumping; PJ's goofy grin and lighting-fast jokes made chilling in the hangar as much fun as skydiving.

My heart goes out to the Xkeys family. Condolences to his wife, and to everyone who loved him.

BSBD, PJ. You will be profoundly missed.

-Jess

my introduction to PJ came on my return to the sport after being out for a while due to an injury...we chiled in the loft at xkeys he showed me how linesets worked and how to put on links on my then parachute...he always had something funny to say the last thing I remember him saying to me this last friday was thank you for the directions to crosskeys from here so I miss the shore traffic...I will miss his silly cracks and his willingness to share anything he knew with those around him...and I will miss his honesty...

Cheers and Blue Skies brother....

Junky
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

This just sucks.

PJ was a friendly face during my visits to Cross Keys back when I had around 100 jumps...he showed me the ropes and helped me out a lot. And he was great to have around during the winters at Z-hills.

Always barefoot and sarcastic.

We never got to do that 'real' CRW jump; he did properly thwap me on the head for attempting Sabre CRW with someone else.

Condolences to everyone.

PJ had a natural ability to make anyone laugh anytime anywhere. We were team mates at this years drunken dodgeball tournament at freezefest. We lost miserably, but our team had the most fun. Quiche eating nancy boy? I laughed so hard at that. PJ where do you come up with this stuff? My condolences to friends and family.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

PJ was a wonderful human being. He was quick on the draw when it came to comments. I remember when I was learning to pack and wanted him to repack it because it was UGLY and he told me I had to jump my own pack job eventually. That was one of the scariest moments of my life, but I made it. Closing time at the DZ talking to PJ was always a good time. He will be missed.
Not again!

My first memory of PJ was when I noticed him walking along the road headed to the DZ. At the time, I knew the face but not the name. I picked him up to save him a 1/2 mile walk. He was carrying a 6-pack of beer. (a variety pack of different beers I assume were lost soldiers he had saved from various parties) Anyway, he gave me a beer for picking him up and then when we arrived he stopped me before getting out of the car and said "Wait, you're gonna need a reserve!" and handed me another.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of him....always giving what he had, be it instruction, advice, or a sarcastic remark that made him PJ.

I am relatively new to this sport and I am always learning, last night I heard something that I really liked. "Skydivers don't mourn the death, we CELEBRATE the life"

what a sad sad day....

pj was always a welcome sight for sore eyes each time our paths crossed, be it in nj, fl or somewhere along the way. i will always remember our times on the packing mat, his razor sharp wit and twisted humor, and all the amazing encounters i had with him.

my heart is with my xkeys family, if i can be of any help or comfort to you, please do not hesitate to call.

with love,
erin

Thanks for posting the pic. I was having trouble putting the name with the face. Indeed, he was very social with visiting jumpers, really made me want to make sure that people who came to my DZ were taken care of.

When we were in Puerto Rico two years ago I gave him a mal on one of his jumps. I was walking in from the parking lot and said outloud...you know there haven't been any cut-aways at this boogie. About 5 steps later we looked up and saw a main drifting along. I found out whose it was and apologized for jinxing him.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

just wanted to repost the picture of pj with my buddies after their first tandem again - they also send their deepest condolences to pj's friends and family!

edited to add - pj is in red all the way to the right
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me