Tonto

Condolences - Paul Joseph - AKA darnknit and crwpj

PJ's razor sharp wit and pointed sarcasm will truly be missed. As will his dedication to passing along his wisdom and making everyone's day that the DZ as enjoyable as it could be.

How he came up with some of the stuff that he did I'll never know.

Blue ones my friend,

Scott
Cross Keys Controlled Descent - Point

My first day ever of working on the dz PJ gave me a place to crash.

PJ was apart of the large crowd that 'sponsored' me so that I could finish AFP. He provided free pack jobs for me and my instructor, Pancake. Pancake provided slot only jumps. PJ contributed to these costs.

PJ started a thread about "happy Sara moments" at a time when it was hard to even think about her fatality, simply because he wanted to celebrate her life.

One day PJ and I were walking to the store. A twig got stuck in my left sandal, as I tripped over it with my right foot the twig got lodged, on a 90 degree angle, coming out from between two toes. As I looked at him, in obvious distress and need of assistance, he looked at me and said, "well, that sucks." I laughed so hard i forgot my pain and was able to pull the twig out of my foot.

Like a high number of other posters here I too have been fired by PJ twice, rehired once ;) I agree, you didn't work for PJ unless you were fired at least once. :)
PJ picked me and a couple of friends up from Newark airport after our info got skewed and he waited around for hours, not knowing what time we would be arriving. This was a Saturday night after he jumped all day and had to work the next day.

PJ opened his brand new home to a bunch of skydivers. It was a joy to see his happiness with Donna.

PJ has always answered my concerns over gear, during busy saturdays on the packing matt and cold evenings mid winter.

PJ and I have made a conscious decision to release our previous issues and be friends again. I'm glad that I've gotten back into this sport and gotten to know old friends, PJ included, in new ways.

His death has really opened me up to how much I love this sport, this dz, these friends.

P.J. did my 2nd tamden he came up to me and said what do you want to get out of this skydive.I said I want to become a skydiver.he said great let's go through the jump.once we got under canopy he said where do we land. I said on the x. he said where else.being confused he said what if we can't make it back you have to find out where you can land first then try for home.It was a great lesson for on my 2nd aff i had to land off.When I saw him again I told him what happen.He said great job and that i'm glade i could help.
Another time i was going for my A licance and all i had to do is pack.Iwas having trouble all day so the packers would take over.When I finished jumping for the day I just kept packing. Then Igot it in the bag so I asked P.J. does it look ok and he said i'd let my mom jump it.so i did.That was my last jump to date.
THANKS P.J. BLUE SKIES

All I want to say is THE MAN WILL BE MISSED.

I also never had to kick his ass to get him to take one of my cigarettes.

Blue skies, my friend.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

PJ was as smart as they come, but in a smart ass way. He would insult somebody evey chance he got, but deep down underneath all of his quips was a real big teddy bear. When I started out at xkeys five years ago, I was an 18 year old know it all, and an obvious favorite to pick on-- especially with packing: "You're gonna actually put THAT in the bag?? Where the hell did you learn to pack? I can't believe your going to go skydive with that shit." And he would make sure to say it loud enough so everybody would hear it and stare at you packing a ball of shit up into the bag. I wanted to just slug him so many times; but hey-- that was PJ.

I was talking with somebody yesterday about that coat he would wear. I would see him walking to the Alpine in that friggen orange jacket and I would give him a ride if he had shoes on-- those feet weren't going anywhere near my nice clean interior!! Then there were the nights we chatted after I got off work delivering pizza. I would bring him a pie and some chicken kickers and he would give me beer and marlboro reds-- what a good trade! Even though PJ was a sarcastic smart ass, he always hammered home safety in a serious way.

I'm really sad about this, but he really loved doing this and he died doing what he loved.

I just keep thinking-- man, I hope that there isn't a "shoes required for entry" sign at the pearly gates.....

I'm in FL for most of the year while I go to school, but Xkeys is my home DZ and my heart goes out to his family and everybody back at home.

BSBD, PJ.... you will be missed.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I still have a quote from the night I graduated at xkeys(my first time jumping there) when he defined my wit as "insincerity spiced with sarcasm". I just thought that was the most hilarious thing I had ever heard.

I always appreciated his advice. The last night I was at cross keys, a month ago, he was offering views and opinions on what the best course of action for a horseshoe mal is(when its on your main, of course). We were all captivated and listened to his honest, humble advice with the utmost respect. While his wit and sarcasm and rudeness ran wild, he was every bit a professional and serious when it came to important matters.

Its hard to believe that he won't be there the next time I go to xkeys. His absence will surely be felt. Blue skies, PJ....
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

I ment to post this before... and it's not really a condolence, but it's meaningful. I was reading my email right before I heard about PJ, and this was the ONLY email in my box that I just happened to get right before. Take a look.....

Subject: FW: If Tomorrow Starts Without Me

A few weeks ago a woman was killed in an auto accident. She was very well liked, so the office shut down for her funeral and it was on the news and so on. On the day the workers came back to
work, they found this poem in their e-mail that the deceased woman had sent on Friday before she left for home.

"If tomorrow starts without me, And I'm not there to see, If the sun should rise and find your eyes all filled with tears for me; I wish so much you wouldn't cry the way you did today, While thinking of the many things, We didn't get to say. I know how much you love me, As much as I love you, And
each time that you think of me, I know you'll miss me too; But when tomorrow starts without me, Please try to understand, that an angel came and called my name, And took me by the hand, And said my place was ready, In heaven far above, And that I'd have to leave behind all those I dearly love.
But as I turned to walk away, A tear fell from my eye, For all my life, I'd always thought, I didn't want to die. I had so much to live for, So much left yet to do, it seemed almost impossible, that I was leaving you. I thought of all the yesterdays, The good ones and the bad, I thought of all that we shared, And all the fun we had. If I could relive yesterday, Just even for a while, I'd say good-bye and kiss you and maybe see you smile. But then I fully realized, That this could never be, For emptiness and memories, would take the place of me. And when I thought of worldly things, I might miss some tomorrow, I thought of you, and when I did, My heart was filled with sorrow. But when I walked through heaven's gates, I felt so much at home. When God looked down and smiled at me, From His great golden throne, He said, "This is eternity, And all I've promised you." Today your life on earth is past, but here life starts anew. I promise no tomorrow, But today will always last, and since each day is the same way, There's no longing for the past. So when tomorrow starts without me, don't think we're far apart, For every time you think of me, I'm right here, in your heart "

I'm not religious or anything, but it's a very nice poem that I just happen to read two mins before I heard about PJ; it was too coincidental and felt the need to post.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, fellow CRWDog Marcie Lovell has gotten a lot of practice this year with setting up memorial websites for CRWDogs we've lost, and she has been kind enough to host a memorial page for PJ. The URL is:

http://www.crwdiva.org/pj-memorial/

If people can post their pictures and memories (even if you just cut and paste from your dz.com post here), I think it would be a really nice way to remember PJ and could be something his non-jumping friends and family could see and be a part of as well.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

PJ was a card.
My favourite was when he'd be on the packing mat and he'd put a helmet on. And then he'd start walking around, tripping over the lines and fall head first into a tandem rig or into the lockers. He'd go up to people coming in the door to drop off their rigs and tell them that he was allowed to pack all by himself now.... hehe...We couldn't stop laughing. Or when he'd say "When I give the signal, everyone freak out!" Of course, then there was the 'who can strike the sexiest pose while cocking a drogue competition'.
... sigh...
He was blunt. He was passionate about things he held dear. He was my friend.
Thanks for always being there.
blue skies dude
Sheri

That is nothing short of beautiful. Kind thoughts to all who knew him.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

My thoughts and prayers go out to all at X-Keys. I didn't know PJ well due to moving away back in 2000 I skydived a X-Keys from 1993 to 2000 and then again in 2002. PJ packed for me many times in the summer of 2002 and one day he gave me some really good advice that I'll always remember. I never really thanked him. Thank you PJ. I don't know PJs faith but my wife is going to have a mass said for him at our Catholic Church in Boston and also at the Church we visit when we travel to NJ. Thanks again. Blue Skies to All

I had to find out about this by a roommate looking at fatalies. Not until reading the incident thread did I know Sean was PJ. Great sadness. One of the more funniest and wittiest guys Ive known on my travels. Playing cards at the Ketchup house with JO,Range Rick,PJ, Selwin,others. PJ would always make the funny cracks back at Range, who if you dont know is German, throwing Nazi cracks at him as the game went, allway them having the verbal crack battle while everyone laughed, Those times well missed. I miss crosskeys, and now part of the party has come to pass. I think truly i wish I hadnt read up to find who Sean is. I wish the west coast larger dropzones were are as family friendly to traveling funjumpers. You wont find the kind of people like PJ in Oregon that invite you into the skydive family when you come from somewhere else. Even the wisecracker he was, a caring and genuine person. I wish Oregon was like Crosskeys. I miss you my friends, And will truly miss PJ. Thanks for makiing my stay while I was injured a great one.

Rob Dalrymple
www.911missinglinks.com the definitive truth of 9/11..the who and why, not how

You can handle the TRUTH www.theforbiddentruth.net

i just got home not too long ago from the memorial service and there was a remarkable turn out... the service it self was filled beyond standing room only with people from all walks of pj's life...

the pastor had read a beautiful poem during the service that i thought you guys would like

How Do You Live Your Dash?

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the date on her tombstone
From the beginning ...to the end.

He noted that first came her date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth...
And only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
The cars... the house... the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real,
And always try to understand,
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile...
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read
With your life's actions to rehash...
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Excuse a line in my post, I had a friend killed in high school named Sean Paul. there is no edit it this forum, but an easy mistake with an upsetting moment such as this.
blue skies forever, and someone who knows me please send my condolences to Donna
Rob Dalrymple
www.911missinglinks.com the definitive truth of 9/11..the who and why, not how

You can handle the TRUTH www.theforbiddentruth.net

I am replying to Janine because I remember this moment in time.

I could not believe it when I heard the news. This has been a dark year in the sport and this day makes it even that much darker. Too many Great Individuals are passin on. :(

I am going to miss seeing you! :(

Your presence in person shall be missed PJ but I know your Spirit will be with us FOREVER!

Sore with the ANGELS BIG GUY!

BSBD!

K-MAN

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I've never gone to Cross Keys and not had a good time. I'm very sorry for your loss, but you guys are lucky to have one of the coolest drop zones in the U.S., if not the world. And your lucky for the people who jump and have jumped there. You were also very lucky to have PJ.

He gave me some lessons in packing strong tandems to help me get my rating back in 2002, and he even packed one for me so I could get on a load for the course. All he wanted was a six-pack. He got it that night at Ottley's along with several cigarettes that he bummed. I then got the benefit of a lengthy safety discussion with him. I didn't know too many people at X-keys, but he made me feel like one of the regulars that day. He definitely touched more people than he knew. Hell of a guy PJ was, and I'm sorry that I fell out of touch.:(

I'm curious if anyone remembers an article that PJ wrote for Parachutist a few years back in which he discussed the phenomenon of having your bridle occasionally tie itself into a knot after tossing your pilot chute. That's happened to me once since then and he was the first person who popped into my head.

I'm curious if anyone remembers an article that PJ wrote for Parachutist a few years back in which he discussed the phenomenon of having your bridle occasionally tie itself into a knot after tossing your pilot chute. That's happened to me once since then and he was the first person who popped into my head.

Absolutely I remember that article. If I'm not mistaken that article was inspired by an event at CK which resulted in a low reserve pull/cypres fire.

PJ was really pretty good when it came to safety. I recall one day quite a few years ago when he was running the packing mat and noticed that a visiting jumper's reserve risers were frayed. PJ pulled her aside, explained what he had found, offered a few opinions as to how it might have happened and if I recall correctly suggested that she stay on the ground until that problem was fixed. I'm not sure that many other packers would have noticed something like that - granted, that was more than a few hundred jumps ago for me, but I didn't think that it exactly jumped out.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

P.J. wrote that article just as Jim said, after one of our regulars had a high speed mal due to her PC knotting itself up, thus not having enough drag to continue the deployment sequence.

It was a malfunction witnessed by many on the dz and it led to some great safety talks and experiments to determine the cause and future ways to prevent it from happening again.

A message from the family:

I've read the posts on PJ's thread and would appreciate it if you would forward thanks and appreciation from me and the family for all the heartfelt condolences.

When I began reading, I cried remembering how much PJ really loves the sport and all the people associated with skydiving. Reading on, I laughed hysterically when people were posting his crazy antics. Laughter through tears, to me, is cathartic and I want to thank everyone for that as well.

PJ asked me if I wanted him to give up skydiving and get a "regular" job. He said he would do it for me. Then we would jump together and while under canopy I told him, many times, I could never ask him to give it up. I told him he had the best job in the world . . . making dreams come true.

Thank you.

Donna Joseph

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Someone in z-hills has a wedding gift that they made for PJ and Donna, she hadn't sent it up to them yet. She would like to send it to Donna now. If anyone has Donna's address, can you please PM me with it.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

My wife Mary and I were remembering Paul and the 4 Stack she did with him (her one and only CRW jump)

She had 189 jumps and here is her logbook entry:
Jump No: 190
Date: 8/5/95
Aircraft: Beech 18
Equipment: Eclipse/Triathalon 135 (CRW team issue)
Altitude: 10,500
Delay: 2 sec.

Dive:
4- way Stack w/Paul, Loron, Ellie
"Rode 1/4 Brakes. Paul Pinned me on top. I held front risers, then built the 4 stack w/me on the bottom. Yee ha!! Broke into 2 - 2 stacks. Released and held half brakes. Paul flew up behind me, but I did not grab his nose cell on time. Really enjoyed the jump. Landed in the peas. Next time, grab nylon and hook feet in the lines, climb down and do side by side w/Paul".

She never got to do that next jump with Paul... but will forever have the 4 stack award and one of many memories of Paul.

I've ridden the plane soooo many times with the CRW team on jump run. I loved the dramatic flair he always gave as he looked back, just before exiting, hair flying in the wind, wild eyed, and put his hand out to someone in the plane and said "Hey... Come Dance With Us!"

Blue skies forever, Paul.
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]