scaryshari

Re: [scaryshari] JumperConway...RIP :(

Oh, and you're organizing when we get there.

If he wasn't organizing, he was telling you how to do it. Always giving the count. And always dirt-diving very fast, and not creeping unless he was forced to.

But generous in finding newbies, and sharing his love of the sky with them. This was where he found himself, and he made the most of it.

Blue skies, dude.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've been away from the world for the past week, working on how to find some freedom and peace for myself. I received word via text message on the morning of the 5th. I was shocked. I cried. And raised a glass to him - it wasn't a beer but it was a glass nonetheless.

The last time I saw him he helped me pour on the Limey at Spaceland. I had cracked his back earlier in the day and his cologne couldn't be whipped into submission by near 2 cases of beer that got spilt on me and everyone else. I'm saddened a little tiny blood clot might have got him when he was so fierce about living life to the max.

Conway, you will not be forgotten. You will live on in every person who ever met you and jumped with you.

Blue ones...
Kirsten (Xena)

I'm saddened a little tiny blood clot might have got him when he was so fierce about living life to the max.

Yes, and that shit scares me. It was the same thing that got Kelly Poe Beazer about 10 years ago - it was a blood clot breaking loose and going to the brain, about six days after her injury, when everything seemed to be going okay and she was on the road to recovery. There I stood for a visit, smiling and with a batch of roses, while the nurses struggled to find a tactful way to tell me that she had died just a few hours earlier...

Even seemingly "normal" recoverable injuries, or surgery, can kill you.

I had cracked his back earlier in the day and his cologne couldn't be whipped into submission by near 2 cases of beer that got spilt on me and everyone else.

Oh dear God, the cologne! I was just laughing about that with Wendy.

Conway would always be one of the first people to greet you, and the girls get big hugs. But he really doused himself with that stuff, so you'd get a nice slick of it on your cheek and neck and shoulder, and it would NOT wear off!

What was that stuff? :D:D:D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

It has been wonderful to see the fond memories so many have of our fallen brother.

Conway was such a great friend to the newcomers just off student status; he would always make them feel welcomed, jump with them, get them on organized loads with others and lend a hand in gaining confidence and much needed skills to help them along the way to becoming good skydivers.

It still hasn’t totally sunk into my head that he is gone – guess it will just take some time to adjust. His memorial dive to spread his ashes will help bring closure.

Miss you Conman!

Me too. I was going through my phone yesterday and found his number. Wish I had used it more...wish I could use it now.

I have kept his cell # in my cell and have no plans to delete it...I've kept all of our emails..no plans to delete those either..Conway is still very much in my mind and heart on a regular basis. I still hear his voice giving me big brotherly advice when I need it...:D

Over the weekend, I went through all of our emails back to '04. Many were his silly jokes or pics from his past weekend jumps/formations which he was proud of sharing and others were just chatting about life and his family members as well as pep talks like a big brother.

I came acrossed this pic and thought I would share. I think of him all the time...and miss him terribly.

Thought of you today. There are so many things I wish I could still talk with you about. The attached pic was from when you shaved your head and emailed it to me to ask if I still found you handsome as a bald man. My answer to you was "absolutely!" Still missing you......:(

Hard to believe it has been another year!

You're not forgotten old friend. Sometimes at the dz when I'm in my jumpsuit and just standing around, I could swear that I still feel your tug on my right leg gripper. Never could get my slot right!

Blues,

Jim

I can remember back in 01 when I first got off student status. Conway organized a 4 way for me and three other 22 jump wonders. As were did our dirt dive, he made us feel like real skydivers. We nailed the exit and turned one point. That was a skydive I will remember for the rest of my life. I just came across the video the other day............Then there was a time we did a demo into a car dealership in Houston. Jim, I am sure you remember this. He was spotting for us, the problem was there are hundreds of car dealerships on that road. We got out on the wrong side of the road but made the LZ with no problem. We had a good laugh over that......Another fond memory of Conway was my learning to pack days.......I still get made fun of to this day because of the way I pack. I can remember being in the packing room wrestling this new, slippery, sabre2 190. Conway showed me a trick that day that help me and my packing. I still use that trick today....Unfortunately I was out of the country when Conway passed. When I moved back and came back to the DZ, it was weird to see his brother jumping and wearing his old jumpsuit. When I would look across the hanger, I would see him dirt diving in the loading area............It is amazing to see how he has touched so many peoples lives. We miss you dearly brother....

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227