mnischalke

Waldo Morales

I regret to inform his great many friends out there that Waldo "El Tiggeriffico" Morales has passed away. He was found at his Richmond, VA, apartment by his coworkers yesterday afternoon. That's the limit of the details I have at the moment.

Waldo was a proud member of the Couch Freaks, and a former member of the board at Skydive Orange in Virginia. A helicopter flight paramedic for LifeEvac and an EMT, he was a member of the Remote Area Medical Volunteer Corps. He worked in Guyanna last fall, and most recently, he returned from serving in the New Orleans area immediately following Katrina.

It goes without saying, Wally touched a great many people's lives all over the world, but hopefully this word reaches his friends in the skydiving and BASE communities.

His friends are planning a short memorial service for Waldo at Skydive Orange after sunset on Saturday. A party in Waldo's memory will be held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (Nov. 26) at a location to be announced.

Fly free, brother,
Mike
Team Tigger

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I wish I were back home now.
Here it goes:
If Wally hadn't been then maybe my best friend would have never done her first tandem for which he demanded in payment only a kiss....although he did try to slip her the tongue. That jerk!
We would never have had that bomb ass trip to the mardi Gras Boogie, my best road trip ever.
Numerous Orange mornings were saved by a saline drip and a hug.
I love you Wally. I'll miss you.

Aviva

Here is a picture of Waldo from Guyana at Mrs. Foo's B&B in Letham returning from the jungle with Remote Area Medical. While in-country he provided valuable medical services to the Amerindian villagers in Gunns and helped repair a nearby airstrip. 90 pound bags of gravel were carried, by hand, over a mile from the pit to the strip and spread out to raise the surface. Enough was covered and built up to allow use of the RAM air ambulance during the heavy rainy season where previously it was unusable for months. This airstrip is their emergency lifeline to the outside world as the only other means of egress are a two-week canoe trip upriver or a four day hike (minimum) over a recently cut 70 mile trail from the savanah to the village.

When volunteers were requested to test using the DC-3 to airdrop supplies and medical teams Waldo joined us for a test jump back into the mountains of TN. Additional supplies were brought in by truck and a weekend clinic performed hundreds of eye exams, gave out glasses and frames, and relieved people from constant tooth pain. Later that night we found the local watering hole and Waldo immediately made friends with the locals and scored us some 'drink' for the campfire.

Katrina smashed into the coastline and Waldo again answered the call for help. He rolled out with the group and delivered food, water, medicine, and provided care to the people in the outlying areas that were missed by the larger relief forces. He was a welcome site rolling up to a fire station with two stressed out medics, no supplies, and dozens of people looking for help.

With his chosen profession and volunteer work there are many people who are alive today and will receive help in the future. I would ask everyone to do a good act or provide a service to help out another person in Waldo's memory. He will be sorely missed.

[url "http://www.karenhawes.com/images/pictures/high-res/2005/06-10-to-06-12/karen-hawes/P6110106.JPG"> Three card guts and the smile that scored us the 'shine'

Mike,

I don't know if we've met, but thank you for posting this for everyone. There's more to say but I just miss him intensely right now. Please let me know about any arrangements, I am putting together what I have of him (videos, pictures, audio recordings), from the RAM missions especially, for his parents.

Thank you.

Karen
[email protected]

See you later. . . sometime, somewhere.

Always ready to hit the clubs, no matter the country

No one was badly hurt

Nothing El Tiggerifico can't handle

Car surfing Waldo style

Guyana load 1, ten minute call

King of 'The Pit'

Tigger power

Shocker around the world

[url "http://www.karenhawes.com/images/pictures/high-res/2004/10-13-to-11-13/PA240045.JPG" "> So why do ya do it Waldo? I'll give you five reasons right here .

[Links from www.karenhawes.com Taken by and featuring various volunteers]

We are so very saddened to hear of your passing, brother... and so very grateful for the final chance to be with you at Brooklyn. Couch Freaks will never be quite the same...
Long live the spirit of Tigger...:P
Love,
Karl and Merriah
Team Flew-id
Team Flew-id
Making freefall pretty since 1998

Shocked and saddened can't begin to describe the emotions...

He was such a wonderful spirit and friend. I met him at Couch a few years ago and I just don't know what to say. He will be sorely missed.

Susan
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

there are no words to describe our shock and sadness over this.

our thoughts and comfort are with waldo's family and friends, especially our orange family down in va.

waldo was a truly amazing person who touched lives in an unbelievable way. he will be dearly missed by those who knew him well, as well as those whose lives he touched for just a brief moment.

thinking of big hugs, a huge smile and a good laugh from our dear friend......

with all our love,
erin and dave

Here are links to my pictures of Waldo:

http://www.karenhawes.com/images/pictures/high-res/2003/03-08/P3080092.jpg
http://www.karenhawes.com/high/2004/02-27-to-02-28-2.html
http://www.karenhawes.com/high/2004/10-13-to-11-13-1.html (start here and click "next" for more)
http://www.karenhawes.com/high/2005/06-10-to-06-12-1.html (same thing, click "next")

I am collecting pictures of him, for his parents. I already have videos (RAM missions mostly) and audio recordings (of him snoring!) and hope to put together something nice for his parents to see him in his best of times.

As his friends send me their thoughts, I think that it would be a good thing for everyone to put together their thoughts about Waldo, so I can put together a collage of their son, all the lives he touched, and in what ways he made a difference in this world, for the short time he was with us. No parent should witness their child's death, so maybe this will be a way for them to still get to know Waldo, through the eyes of his friends.

Karen

See you later. . . sometime, somewhere.

Thanks for posting those dmattman.

I read the notice this morning on the Orange chatlist and am stunned. I really just dont know what to say. Wally will be sadly missed by all that knew him.

He was a wonderful person - with a smile that truly could brighten your whole day and a hug that would make you catch your breath. He spread a little bit of tigger to each life that he touched!

Sending love and healing energy to his family and friends .. especially all those at O, who have lost too many of their brothers.

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

Although Waldo was 3 months my junior, he adopted my husband and I as his “kids”. I don’t know how we were so lucky to be loved by him…..

Waldo came to visit us just last week here in Florida. We had a great weekend, he was upbeat and happy. He was going to take me to get my first tattoo during his trip, but we just ran out of time. I was so scared…wasn’t sure I could go through with getting it. But Tigger is very convincing.

Last night (11/3) I had this overwhelming need to get my tattoo… my husband (Scott) took me to get it, but I almost chickened out because Waldo wasn’t here to make the dude be nice to me. But I went through with it. I couldn’t wait to email Waldo my art! (so here it is Waldo)

I was at work this morning when Scott called me with the news that our dear friend was gone…… there are no words to express our loss….the world truly was a better place with Tigger in it. Even when he’s gone, he makes us do things….he’ll impact us for the rest of our lives. I never could thank him enough for that.

Waldo was a guy who changed people’s lives. He made you a stronger person, a happier person, a better person. It’s not fair that he’s gone, but thank God we knew him while he was here!

-Caron

In the midst of the most tragic year of my life I am so saddened by the loss of my dear friend Waldo. I want everyone who knew and loved him how sorry I am for the loss.

I know he was impacted by the tragedy in the Gulf Region and he was there for me when Hurricane Katrina took my father. He helped so many and never asked for anything in return.

I will miss you, Waldo

Love,
Brooke

Waldo was a fabulous person and a great friend. He will forever be missed and remembered. Love you Waldo!
Karen G
Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
~ Robert Frost ~

I haven't heard anything new, but I wanted to post some pix of El Tiggeriffico.

These were from Floatilla IV in September. Unfortunately, nobody got any photos of Waldo's canoe doing the only Class 2 on the river, which just so happens to be where everybody gathers, especially old spectators. Well, Waldo's boat came through in true Team Tigger form--overloaded with coolers of jiggyjuice and people, all naked. At the very edge of the rapids, Waldo stands up in the canoe, raising the paddle high above is head, shouting "tigger"-somethingorother, which only partly made it out because the boat , try as it might, could only hold out for so long without capsizing. The cheers from the "audience" made up for whatever he was trying to say.

Enjoy!

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I am deeply saddened and at a loss for words right now.

Waldo, I am so grateful that I was given the gift of knowing you. You were truly a wonderful person. Generous, caring, sprited, those are just a few of the many great words that describe you.

I will always remember the great times we had at my very first couch freaks. And I will always remember how he so selflessly left CF 05 to go help the victims of Katrina. I was so proud of him. His presence was greatly missed and will always be missed, but never forgotten.

Love,
Shelly

Our prayers and condolences go out to Tigger's family and friends.

Tigger, I always looked forward to seeing you at the Dollar Daze Couch Freaks boogie and at Bridge Day. You were great fun to freefly with and a good coach. We had a great time partying with you at Bridge Day this year. You touched so many lives. Thank you. I hope you continue on....

Tigger, you will be missed my brother. Fly free and God speed.

Later,
BASE864

So many memories of Waldo from over the years. At Orange, in Eloy, and places in between.

All of those happy memories come with that patented Waldo smile that he always seemed to wear. The one that seemed to overtake his entire face. And usually in tandem with his unique, sometimes maniacle Waldo laugh that was so great to hear.

My heart weeps at the passing of such a wonderful person. He was special to us all . . and I will miss him so much.

I love ya Waldo.....thanks for being my friend.

Courtney

Karen, here's a few more pics of Waldo for the collection. Just screen grabs off video from CF04.

Waldo is one of the warmest, most amazing people that I have ever met in the sport. I was lucky enough to meet him my first year at Couch Freaks in 2000, and partied with him each year...we even got one awesome night of partying in with "Homer" this year, the eve/morning hours before he was called down to Katrina. Got to catch him in Iowa again early in October at the Otter in Brooklyn, I felt it to be an incredible treat to see him any time of the year other than the boogie.

I know this news is ripping up his extended skydiving family and it must be doing numbers on his real family as well. We are there grieving with them, they're in our prayers. The boogie won't be the same without his welcoming hugs...seeing him at the boogie was better than Christmas morning, you just knew you were in for something good.

We were working on plans for a club trip to Vegas in march and he was all stoked for it. I was already imagining the wild tiger print pimp outfits that he was going to bring for stutting down the strip. He wanted to hit KC for the Big 12 tourney as well...like me, didn't care about the sports as much as having a reason to party and see everyone. Just Sunday night, he was congratulating me on buying a house, looking for a date on the house warming party, and anxiously awaiting March. Between Vegas and the tourney, it was going to be one helluva party month! I feel bad for never making it out to Floatzilla, that sounded like the place to be.

We're all anxiously awaiting details. Maybe then it will help this feel real...cause right now, it's like a bad dream. Definitely haven't sorted out all the feelings yet. I'll hunt around for some more photos and memories to share with everyone. One of our club members put it well, "Celebrate his life to help deal with his passing." No doubt.

Blue skies, Brother, missing you like crazy already...
Bill O

I'll never forget all the excitement that always followed Waldo. As some of you know I experienced it first hand as he rented a room from me for ~6 months (until the infamous fire).

We had a lot of fun in that time, he was one of the most honest people I met - never afraid to speak his mind. And I've never seen anyone else so enthusiastic about the things he cared about: Guyana, Orange, the helicopter, his friends.

This article (which Waldo asked me to scan in for him) sums up what he was about: always in the right place at the right time to help someone in need. Sorry the quality's bad but ya only get 100k. I'll email someone a couple of BASE pics from bridge day 2003... Tigger & Lowchop 2-way exit.

Fly free wherever you are brother!

-dave

When I did my first tandem at Orange in October 2001, Waldo was my tandem master. He was a true professional. If I had not had such a great first-time experience, perhaps I would not have pressed on to get my license. I'll never forget that first jump, and I'll never forget how enthusiastic he was to take me on that first dive.

Blue Skies, Tigger.

Magoo

:( I am always saddened by the loss of a fellow brother of the sky. Though I did not know Tigger very well, we seemed to always cross paths at events, I heard it from the Zoomeeland Crew at BD over and over, “Man, you got meet Tigger!” I did finally get to meet and run with him a bit at Bridge Day and he was the kind of person you immediately had to love. Our loss. :(

God speed brother.