USPA

Condolences Thread - Adrian Nicholas

Since I'm working on the Adrian Nicholas website i would to gather as many pictures as possible.
Please send them to [email protected]
if they are super large you can always send them to

Glenn Johannesson
Regeringsgatan 130
26136 Landskrona
Sweden

We will all remember him, watching the pics will remind us of both our own stories and stories we have heard.

Thanks
Glenn Johannesson

I had met and spoke to Adrian on a few occasions,
but it was only at the Freefly Extravaganza in Texel on the 19th-21st August '05 that i really got to know him.
Adrian, Rob Silver and me were constantly ribbing each other and taking the piss, it was all very good fun.
I only managed to get on one load with Adrian, a 14-way Atmonauti Tandem, i exited before Adrian who was last out, i remember looking down to the load and thinking 'Crikey! They're far away!!!'
I put every inch of effort into getting down to the group and suddenly a green flash went past me at twice my speed! he just nipped down and over the group,
truely amazing flying!!
Adrian was and still is a true pioneer in our sport, and he will be greatly missed.

I was trying to get him along to Weston to come and play, unfortunately he was busy, this is from the end of his reply (including the Typo) ;)

have to run, hope all well in your world, good to see you in Holland

All the bbest
Adrian

Hope all is well in your world Adrian,
BSBD

Nigel Holland
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

I first met Adrian about 6 years ago at Cross Keys when he came to our dz and introduced us to tracking dives. Since that time we have spent many times over the year and over many glasses of red wine contemplating life, people, skydiving, traveling and safety. He would always start some of our long late night chats with (in his thick yet proper british accent) "If I bore you, just tell me and i'll stop". He was always thinking about the what if, if you had a pilot chute in tow, do you pull your reserve, pull both, reach around and pull your bridle? We discussed others mistakes (Chris who died in Puerto Rico due to a stowed toggle, both adrian and I were there and attended to Chris and ironically the first jump the next day both Adrian and I had a break fire on deployment). He would causually lean over to the new jumper on the plane, as he did to me many years before, just after takeoff and ask if there was a plane problem right now and the pilot said get out grab a handle just to make sure the new jumper would go directly to his reserve handle. "Hypothetically" he would say.

He was always a gentlenman, forget the fancy handshakes, he would always offer a nice strong handshake to everyone on board, even the nervous tandem passenger who might never skydive again. He loved to jump with others and would always ask permission "Would it be alright if I joined you on a skydive." Most times it was a low time jumper who was enthralled to have the oppurtunity to jumpwith Adrain, but he always offered.

He always raved about the swedes and the swedish freefly festival - that is was the greatest event ever. I finally made it there the last year it was held and had the chance to meet the swedish community and saw how they adored Adrian as much as he adored them.

I was always interested in his travels, trips with Patric, exotic parts of the world he had traveled to. He was always interested in my medical background, when i was burnt out from years of medical school and thinking about traveling and skydiving he almost had my head. He saw me thru residency and unfortunately saw me taking care of fallen skydivers in Puerto Rico and New Jersey and was always curious as to the world of orthopedics and trauma surgery and I was always happy to tell him all that I knew.

Unfortunately he always said if he were ever hurt he would want me there. We have jumped together in Sweden, America, Puerto Rico but unfortunately i was not there this time. I know that everyone there did everything possible. I will never forget Adrain because he meant so much to me and many other people far and beyond the world of skydiving. For those of you who have not had the pleasure to meet him you missed the chance to meet a genuine soul.

I'll miss you Adrian

-Adam

I never met Adrian, only saw him and that was in 2002 at the Brit Chicks Record. I know I will get flamed for saying what I am about to say:

He turned up to offer his video/camera services for free for the first ever British Women's Record and I remember seeing him there on the dz looking shy and the next thing I knew he left - he had been kicked off the dz. I don't know the details, but I do remember thinking at the time, here was a guy whom I had heard so much about, had achieved a lot and had jumped the Da Vinci parachute and he was asked to leave! The Brit Chicks 2002 was all about setting a record and bringing girls (and guys) into the sport and to deny one of the best known skydivers of that time to participate sent out the wrong message.

For me, at that time, being invited onto the record with my number of jumps and experience, seeing someon like Adrian was a huge thing. I didn't see (and still don't) what the issue was over him being there - I only saw a humble shit hot skydiver turning up to film the Brit Chicks for free and that he would take the time to do that.

Adrian contributed soo much to the sport.

I first met Adrian through you Adam.

I had about 50 jumps and was packing for a living. Adam invited me for sushi with him and Adrian and Kat. I remember feeling a little star-struck, but he talked to me like an equal. The sport was still new to me then, and I was full of questions, but Adrian treated me just like anyone else at the table.

One time, we were down in Sebastian. We all went out to eat at one of the spots on the bay. The service was terrible, and the food was abysmal, bordering on inedibble. Adrian complained, and the waitress broke down in tears. "Really, I didn't mean to make her cry. No, well, I mean, she certainly deserved it, but I didn't mean to." Eventually, the manager came out and gave us our meal for free, and we left the waitress a big tip.

Upon leaving, Adrian insisted we make one more stop. Someplace near by that he insisted was top notch. Given his love of good wine, I feared we were headed for a place that would be a little out of my price range. Imagine my relief when he dragged us into Earl's Hideaway, a biker bar down the street. There was more to that story, but I don't really remember much aside from the fact that we left when they closed.

All my love to Kat, Ella, and all of you missing Adrian right now.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

So sorry to hear the news of Adrians death. A legend in his own lifetime who turned out to be just a nice guy when you met him. Condolences to Katerina. A loss to his family, his friends and the sport.
Lou. It is better to be happy for a moment and be burned up with beauty than to live a long time and be bored all the while.

Thanks for making me laugh. I too remember the night in Sebastian. Terrible food but, great company. Then Earl's....talk about a place we didn't belong but, once again having a good time with friends.
Katarina, Ella and all of those left behind, my prayers are with you. May God bless you and watch over you closely.

I used to navigate for Adrian years ago in his rallying days. We had some scrapes and some tough times but I will always remember his charm, humour and modesty.

Somehow we lost touch over the years and I’ve lost count of the times that I meant to seek him out but the years just went by. This week I determined to find him and instead found this sad news – I had a special reason to get back in touch as I am now a skydiver.

Sadly he died on the very day that I started in the sport but even though I can’t tell Adrian that I share his love of the sport I will remember him each time I jump.

From the posts I can tell that Adrian continued as I knew him – loving life, living it to the max and caring for those around him. For those left behind I give my deepest sympathies and hope you will hold memories of a wonderful guy.

Oh Adrian...
You taught me more about flying than I could ask for. Thank you for all the jumps!!

Katarina, I hope you are surrounded by people who love you right now. I hope you know that many people care for you. You are in my thoughts and I wish i could be there for you like you were for me at times in the past.
My condolences go to you and your daughter.
Sheri

I remember at skydive sebastian, we had the rec skydive boogie going on and he came up and asked if I minded if he filmed our jump along with Jan Davis. He promised not to get in the way. He was so nice. I used to work on is RV and he always clowning around. Offered to take me up on a 2 way to show me a couple things about free flying. Hugs to Kat and their daughter. He will be missed

Man, when I saw this thread and started reading it I had a feeling it was this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005BJXD/qid=1128361774/sr=8-6/ref=pd_bbs_6/102-5452915-9063302?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

I bought this video two years ago when I did AFF and although I haven't progressed in skydiving as much as I'd hoped I still got such joy out of watching this guy fly through the air. It was so telling that he loved what he was doing. The funniest thing I thought in this movie was when they were saying that Adrian used to be a professional wrestler! That just always made me laugh!

I did a google search on his name and aside from DZ's mentioning of the incident I can't find any more information on him or what happened. I never met this guy but I'll always remember him. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

When I first saw 'Lord of the Skies', I knew I wanted to skydive. Ade, you were my inspriation and I've you to thank for almost making me broke, too ;)

Hey, he's probably having a bit of a chuckle with Patrick, right now. And I want a bit of wingsuit coaching from them both when I get there with them...

SL.

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience