USPA

Condolences Thread - Adrian Nicholas

It would be great if someone could post a picture of Adrian so that we might connect a bit more personally while paying our respects.

skydiverek posted this link upthread. The picture is one of the best I've seen of Adrian anywhere:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/skydive/pages/people/adriannichols.htm

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Adrian was my camera flyer in the X-Games. Thanks to his incrredible flying and inspirational speaches, he took Robert Mahaffee and I to the very top. I can remember him saying to us: "Just think of it...Champions of the World!" We did it, Adrian!

I will never forget the time I sent Adrian some clips of the freefly stuff that Robert and I were doing, in an effort to get him to come and film us. Somehow the tapes got switched, and he received the one of me playing guitar and singing some hippee crap for my friends in Vermont. As soon as I realized the error, I called him to tell him not to watch the tape. It was too late. I asked him if he had realized that the tape was not intended for him, to which he replied: "not immediately..."

He filmed us anyway. He made us Champions of the World.

I will miss him.
I will look forward to seeing him again.

Thanks for everything, bubbles...

Brian Germain
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Adrian, my personal hero. To sit round, drink beer and talk with you was a dream come true for me. That was just a couple of weeks ago.

This is a link to a lovely photo of Adrian from a couple of weeks ago in Texel.

http://www.ukfreefly.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=16

When I just read this this I thought "oh no another great person has left this sport" and I shed some tears too.[:/]

I feel sick inside.

I had the great fortune to meet Adrian back in 2002 in Sebastian.
I had heard about this dude who broke the free fall record was on the dz.
I turned around and got talking to this eccentric english skydiver.
He asked me how I was doing and how nice it was to see more Brits coming out to one of his favourite dz's.
He was full of great advice which I heeded being a virtual noob at the time. I think I had around 35 jumps or so.
I spent a little time with him over the week and managed to talk him into letting me go on a "big Way" for my 50ith. It was only an 8 way, but it was my first so It was special.
There were a mixed bunch on the load and Adrian offered to take all the pics and vid for me free of charge.
I remember a few people on the dive, but what amazed me was how he flew head down around us and with bare feet too.
I had never been in free fall with someone head down. I couldnt concentrate on the dive at all. I was more excited about seeing you carve around us with that big flash going off.
I was so excited I didnt realise I was sinking out of my own 50ith jump.
I left the formation, rolled onto my back and tracked off watching that White, green and orange jump suit whirling around the remainder of the formation.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

I always thought that you would have gone in on that Da Vinci Parachute jump. Not because it wouldnt of worked but by the lions chewing you up on the African plains. :)I think you wouldve had a giggle at that.

The first wingsuit jump I ever witnessed was you going off of Keirag in Norway for the BBC programme.
That really opened my eyes to what was possible.
You were one of the people who made it possible to really fly with your developement and testing of wing suits along with your good buddy Patrick.

Adrian it saddens me to be writing a condolance for you but I know that you are in a safe place now.

You and Patrick will no doubt be up to your old tricks again.

Katarina, keep strong in this period of great sadness.
Times will be real hard but make sure you come through it. Your friends and family will be there 150%

Open your wings and Fly free Adrian.
BSBD[:/]:(

Edit to add Heres some vid to have a look at.
Click on the video link.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

Adrian defined what skydiving could and should be. First met him at Sebastian 5-6 years ago. Blew me away when this skydive superstar just walks up to me and asks me if he could jump with me.

Got to know him better over the years. This hurts.
See you on the other side, mate.

Shit. this absoultely sucks. :(

I actually knew Adrain first, not through skydiving, but from his then 'day job'. He used to be the flying eye (travel reporter in a cessna) for a radio station i used to work at many years ago...

It was our chats back then that probably first put the seed of jumping in the back of my head.

Getting to jump with him over the years was truely a privelage as was being able to call him a friend.

His boundless energy and genuine friendliness made him one of the true great people in the world and i will very sadly miss him.

Blue skies Adrian... i for one will be drinking a great deal of red wine in your honor. :(
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

We at Airtec are shocked, dismayed, and saddened to hear this tragic news. Our heart-felt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Adrian was a professional skydiver who has helped broaden the horizons of our sport, and a genuinely kind person. He was known to always be willing to help others, and has been involved with a number of projects with us over the years.

With sincere condolences

All the people working at Airtec

I had the opportunity to meet him around 2000, when he and lovely Katarina came to our little Estonian boogie. Unannounced, one day they just stepped by. None of at us first knew who or what he was - not until we saw him flying and teaching us. The image his presence left was bright and even now, years later, you can still hear occasionaly the expressions "but Adrian told this", or "Adrian showed me"...

I think it's fair to say that it was Adrian together with Katrina who gave us the idea what freeflying really is and showed us the horizons where we could fly. And how to be as safe as possible.

I did have only a few jumps at that time so I didn't have the possibility to jump with him back then, but I was hoping that I'll get the chance in the future. To jump and to meet him again. Until today.

He was, as I knew him, a wonderful, cheerful person, with the ability to put passion into everything he did or say - and he made you think.

My deepest, deepest condolences to Katarina, family and friends.

Adrian, You will be deeply missed.

I first met Adrian in 1995 at the BPA AGM.

He was just starting out in the sport at the time but he stood out as being different from the average keen newbie. As we discussed skydiving he even offered to pay for some of my Freestyle videos! (And that doesnt happen every day!!!)

The next time I met him was a few months later at Sibson and his enthusiasm seemed to fill the entire hanger! He came bounding up to me, shook my hand, and instantly we chatted about freestyle and freeflying (which was in its infancy at the time).

and then the next day we did a jump together...

Adrian appearred in front of me, head-down, carving a course directly to me, and stopped inches in front! It was at this point that I realised that this guy was different.

**he only had about 200 jumps at this time**

The sport has lost a true ambassador.

We at Airtec are shocked, dismayed, and saddened to hear this tragic news.

Any reaction from Airtec concerning the AAD being fired during a high performance landing? I like my Cypres for the protection from freefall collisions and I believe you guys have built a great product for this purpose. But what are we swoopers to do if the unit fires during a high performance turn?

Respectfully ...
Steve

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

This is sad sad news for all of us in the community, we have lost an absolute inspiration and bundle of positivity i have not yet seen matched in my - albeit - relatively short time in the sport.

Adrian thank you for being the inspiration you have been and always will be to me. Deepest condolences to Katarina and the Nicholas family, as well as skydivers everywhere. I will be saluting you tonight Adrian with a beer and glass of red wine [:/]

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

All my love katarina and to your beautiful daughter, melody and i are wishing you nothing but love -- contact us if we can do anything for you.

adrian was wonderful and everyone he encountered remembers him. we loved him . may he eternally fly for heaven is your best dream re-lived.

love selwyn and melody.

About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a magazine that had an interview with Adrian, and there was a photo of him headdown wearing a green 3-piece suit and a huge smile. Next to the picture was this quote from Adrian:

"Whatever you want to do,
Whatever excites you,
Whatever makes you laugh,
You can do in the air"

I framed that picture and it still hangs on the wall in my house as a reminder of why I jump, of the freedom and happiness I feel in freefall, and of the wonderful people this wonderful sport attracts.

That picture will now stay on my wall as a tribute to one of the most graceful freefallers I have ever seen, but sadly never met.

Fly free Adrian.

I dont know about you guys,but Id really like to see a gallery of Adrians pictures that he has taken over his skydiving career.
I have maybe 20 pics or so from my 50ith that I would like people to see.
I belive that his photography was amongst the best that I have seen.
Let me know if there are any web sites that we can post onto.

Matt

www.myspace.com/durtymac