schafdog

Memorial - Egon, Bruno, Piers and Krystal

Come Celebrate the Lives of Egon, Bruno, Krystal and Piers

BRAAI (South African style BBQ)
MEMORIAL BIG-WAY JUMP
GREEN BOTTLE LIBERATION

Date: Saturday, August 20th

Where: Skydive DeLand

Time: If you’re going to be on the memorial jump, come at noon.
If you will not be on the jump, come anytime. Dinner will be around 7:00. (Ideally, the jump will take place in the late afternoon/early evening but if the day is looking overly tropical, the load will go before the clouds roll in.)

The Jump: Bob Hallet has kindly made his 3 aircraft available for the memorial jump.
Members of DeLand Majik have offered to organize the memorial jump. The size of the formation(s) will be determined by people’s skill level and desire. Bruno and Krys did a lot of freeflying so separate freefly jumps on the same load may be possible.

If you would like to be on the memorial jump, let David know by emailing him at [email protected]. Please provide your name, where you’re traveling from, your jump number, and if you prefer a large RW jump or a smaller freefly group.

Unfortunately, slots for the memorial jump are limited. We hope to accommodate everyone but, realistically, this may not happen. We beg your understanding if you do not make the load.

Everyone will gather round the pea pit after the jump (or closer to sunset) to share stories and feelings.

The Party: While family and friends around the world are deeply saddened by this tragic loss, you know these guys would want us to party. Heineken (and other beer and wine) will be ready for liberation. Meat will be on the braai; other non-meat foods will be provided. A good game of flaming footie may also be in order.

Memories: There will be an area set aside for photos and memorabilia of Krys, Egon, Piers, and Bruno. Please bring photos or personal items to share and go ahead and set them up yourself when you arrive.

Input? If you have a question or there is some event, game, food, drink, or what-not you think should be at the memorial please email Kevin at [email protected]

PS. There is also an ash jump / memorial for Krystal taking place at Skydive Deland on Saturday the 6th August 2005.

To live in the hearts of those who love you is not to die.
Egon, Piers, Bruno and Krys – Forever in our hearts

Howzit Kev,
I would really love to be there, but logistically it's not going to happen.
We at Pietermaritzburg Parachute Club (Piers' last home DZ while in SA) will definately be there in spirit and will join you with some wors on the braai at sunset. And Windhoek lagers (Heiniken were just a sumstitue :P
Please extend my greetings and condolences to all, both those that know me and the others.

Lekker bly
Pawl
"Africa is not for sissies"

just booked my ticket into orlando... anyone willing to hook me up with a ride/place to stay fri night-sunday afternoon? pretty please:)
i promise not to bite, and beers are on me!
i arrive in orlando at 9:50pm friday the 19th and leave orlando at 4:05pm sunday the 21st.
if anyone is able/willing to hook me up, please PM me or something:)thanks!

NASA wanted to memorialize krys by placing her name just below the NASA emblem on the nose cone of the Atlas V Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. her parents were able to see it and stand next to the nose cone to have their photos taken. very, very cool.

Atlas V is set to launch tomorrow. :)
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/main/index.html

=================
"NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) is ready for a morning launch on Wednesday, Aug. 10. The MRO will arrive at Mars in March 2006 for a mission to understand the planet's water riddles and to advance the exploration of the mysterious red planet.

The mission's first launch opportunity window is 7:54 to 9:39 a.m. EDT, Wednesday."
====================

a very cool memorial....

I will most likely be flying into Daytona if you can change your ticket. I got nothing on the acomodations. Sorry. It may be well worth it to change to Daytona (unless you've already thought of this in which case you may bitch slap me when we meet) since that airport is only like 30 mins away from DeLand if that, Orlando is like 2 hours or so I think.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Orlando is like 2 hours or so I think.

Nah, I'd put it more at 1 hour to 1:15, depending on how quickly you drive.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

NASA wanted to memorialize krys by placing her name just below the NASA emblem on the nose cone of the Atlas V Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. her parents were able to see it and stand next to the nose cone to have their photos taken. very, very cool.

Just an FYI. The picture on the front page of the "Space" section of CNN.com is of the nose cone. It's not close enough to read, but you can tell there's something written there below the NASA emblem here.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I never met Krystal but think others might appreciate another thing the NASA crew did for her, which was to mention her in the NASA TV broadcast of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter launch. Very cool.

The zoomed-in camera shot shows the top of the brilliantly lit rocket on the nighttime launchpad. "In memory of Krystal Ann Koch" is visible on-screen, underneath the NASA logo. The voice is the professional, resonant NASA voice of George Diller. There were about five minutes of silence both before and after this narrative. The camera goes back to a wide shot as the narrative ends.

Blue skies

"This is Atlas launch control at T-minus 1 hour 16 minutes 6 seconds and counting.

"As a matter of interest, on the fairing that we see atop the rocket, you can see a small inscription in between the NASA logo and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter logo. That is a memoriam to Krystal Koch, who was a college co-op student with NASA and the launch services program here at the Kennedy Space Center, who was killed in a light plane crash, killed in a light plane that she was piloting, down in the Florida keys recently.

"The launch team felt that it would be an appropriate recognition of her work on this program to have a brief inscription on the fairing for her commitment to NASA and to the launch of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

"Our propellant loading activities are completing, we’re now just about 20% full of liquid oxygen on board the Atlas stage, and we're almost full of liquid oxygen on the Centaur stage.

"At T-minus 1 hour 14 minutes 50 seconds and counting, this is Atlas launch control."

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Chuck, I did a ride on my birthday and wore the shirt Egon gave me on the same day I got my Skymonkey hat. Antioch to Fort Bragg. When we were in Petaluma (small town north of SF where they filmed a lot of the movie "American Graffitti") some folks in the bar asked me about my T shirt, as they were showing skydiving movies.

He was cool. He leaves a big empty space, but he filled me and everybody else up with fun when he was around.

Cheers.

Fly free Igon.

Any one got any photos to post from the day ?
We here in south frica would appreciate it.
Thanks

no, they aren't "day" shots, but these sre of the flaming footie game that took place saturday night.
i didn't have my camera out at all on that trip[:/]

there were a TON of cameras going thruout the day, so im sure someone will podt those pics!

So, we have another year passed and we all still think of the great people we lost .... so here I am sharing again some silly times with the choms

blue skies ;-)

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Thank you....Thank you....Thank you....for remembering an awesome group!!!!! I'm sure Krys, Piers, Egon and Bruno would be in awe of the remembrances.....Thanks also for the pictures. Seeing pictures of Krys and the boys we haven't seen before is awesome....and Krys...always with a smile on her face. We can't thank you enough......Aunt Kimmie