Kris

BSBD, John Appleton...

The name has just been released in the Skydive Dallas fatality.

I only talked to John a few times, but he always had a smile, always took time to listen, and always had good advice.

Blue skies, John.

:(
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Yup, John was one of the good guys.

Always with a smile on his face and a great bottle of wine to share after a day of jumping.

It wont' be the same to be at a big way event, and he's not there.

My thoughts are with his wonderful wife and family.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I knew John from doing big-ways and the WFFC. He was very current, talented, and safe.

He was part of the regular Zhills big-way camp group. Last time I saw him was April.

If it can happen to John, it can happen to any of us. People need to seriously think about this one.

Edit: I hear it was a line over. Isn't that an instant cutaway?

Please go read the Incident report before saying that.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1622148;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I knew John from doing big-ways and the WFFC. He was very current, talented, and safe.

He was part of the regular Zhills big-way camp group. Last time I saw him was April.

If it can happen to John, it can happen to any of us. People need to seriously think about this one.

:( John was a great guy and a great skydiver. Organizers would move him to any spot that was giving trouble on a big way, and he would perform. Great tracker too, very easy to spot in his red suit.

BS, John.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I heard last night after watching the sunset load land. I didn't know him well - met him once or twice but doubt he'd have remembered me - but I worked with some folks who had nothing but good things to say about him.

My condolences to his family, "real" and skydiving.

This is very sad news... and we feel worse when we know the person... words can't describe my feelings right now. I was shocked when I read John's name in the accident report. Damn!

John was a Great person and a Great skydiver!

First time I met him was back in January 2001, at Eloy for an Airspeed Skills Camp, and since then we kept in touch.

He was a very current skydiver... 4 years ago I remember him having logged around 1400 skydives, now with around 5000, and participated in the World Team for the 300 and 357 Big Way World Records.

In my mind I will always keep the image of a skydiver always playing safe and loving to skydive.

Attached is a pick of our team at the SSL Meet, held in the last day of the Camp, when we teamed up along with Dan BC, one of our Skills Camp coaches. That was a place where we had a great and wonderful time.

I will miss John!

Sincere condolences to John's family on this difficult moment.

Blue Skies... ever!
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

I sat next to John in the plane all through the 2-point 121 attempts and record dive last year in Z-hills.

During the brief time that we met, John had a constant big smile on his face, and he seemed to have an endless supply of funny jokes to tell.

After we set the record, John was off to the showers faster than a speeding bullet, came out dressed in golf clothes, came over to us to say goodbye and when I asked him if he was late for a round of golf, his answer was that his parents were expecting him and they thought he was out playing golf.

The world is a lesser place without him!!!!

Blue skies John.

I was subbing for a team from Dallas yesterday at Spaceland when we heard of the fatality. We cancelled our scheduled training jump and the five of us kinda in shock over the news decided to just go up, build a 5way star and just hold it until breakoff thinking of John in tribute. I had had the opportunity to meat and talk to john on several big way events in Texas and at Perris. I was hoping to see him next month at Perris for the big way invitational. A truly class guy with what seemed an everlasting smile, a real pleasure to be around. My heart go's out to his families of his love and to his skydiving breatheren who feel this like a knife into our own hearts. Blue skies my friend, hope to see you again someday. Peace to his loved ones.

Conway[:/]

Wow - John, I'm going to miss you!
Thanks for always sharing your wonderful wine
Thanks, to you and your family, for all the fabulous dinners on the redwood deck
Thanks for encouraging me to sing
Thanks for always smiling

I give my sincerest condolences and love to the Appleton family

See you in the eternal sky, my brother
Love,
Deva

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. I hope you find peace in knowing that he was well-loved and respected in the skydiving community worldwide. As flyangel put it:

"It wont' be the same to be at a big way event, and he's not there."

Not only was he there, he was VERY good, and dispensed good advise to newcomers with a big smile in his face. I am glad I had a chance to meet him - good people stick in one's mind forever.

This is sad, sad news.

My heart goes out to those closest to him.

Fly free, John - blue skies forever.

Chester
Mexico City

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

Just in case there are people that need to know this information:

May 4th, 2:00pm

First Presbyterian Church
Downtown Dallas
Harwood and Wood