SeaKev

In Memory of Spencer Garrett

It is with great sadness that we, the family of Skydive Snohomish, must once again announce the death of one our own. Spencer posted here on dropzone as SRG.

Spencer was killed late Saturday morning in a landing accident that has already been discussed in another forum. I will ask that this thread be used for posting remembrances and condolences for his family.

Spencer was one of the kindest and most giving souls I have met in this sport. He had a very quiet and selfless demeanor. His politeness and friendliness was infectious.

Spencer's death has had a very personal effect on me. My growth in this sport has paralleled Spencer's in that we went through our student progressions together, had similar goals and aspirations in the sport, and recently became teammates on a newly formed 4-way team. Spencer and I never had to work when we jumped together. It felt very natural, just like his friendship.

I wish I could go back and change, or at least add to, the last words I spoke to him as he was gearing up for the jump.

Spencer, it was truly my honor to have known you while I did. Fly free my friend. You will never be forgotten.

Kevin

Beautifully said, Kevin. He was a wonderful, kind soul and his happy and welcoming smile will be sorely missed. :(

Blue skies, Spence. You keep an eye open for us out at the East Field from time to time. You know your friends love you.

Wait for us; we will all be together again.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well-said, Kevin. I don't know that I have much to add, except that my impressions of Spencer really matched yours. I only met him recently, but I enjoyed spending time with him on the Seattle Skydivers trip to Lake Elsinore last month. With all the flooding (particularly on the roads to and from the tunnel), Spencer's truck was the safest place to be and I was calling shotgun every time we went over there.

He will be missed. This last month has brought the Snohomish community much pain but we will hang together in our grief.

Blue skies, Spencer.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My Heart aches for Spencer's family. To the immediate family, please accept my sincere condolences on your loss. Ditto to the Skydive Snohomish crew....

In the last several weeks, I've had numerous people say to me, "I'm at a loss for words." Well, I'm still at a loss for words. But, that is okay, what is important is that people reached out and tried to say what they were feeling. The family will understand, so know that it is okay to, not know "the right words." Say what you are feeling. You will feel better and those that were closest will appreciate your thoughts and intentions.

Sincerely,

Andy Whipple

Blue skies, Spencer.

See you all tomorrow night at Hangar 15.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Found a few photos from my own collection and on the Seattle Skydivers site. Unlike most skydivers, Spencer didn't seem like much of a camera whore!

Here is a link to some photos I have of Spencer having fun in the tunnel last month.

There's also this one from last year's Safety Day - Spencer is kneeling front and center.

This one has Spencer on the right in the green shirt.

Thanks for posting the pics, Krisanne.:)
For those who are interested, Spencer's family has planned a memorial that will be held tomorrow (3/9) in Bldg. 15 at Harvey Airfield in Snohomish, WA. The event is potluck and will begin at 7pm.

Blue skies Spencer.

I'll miss his kind, generous spirit and warm presence at the DZ. He seemed like a very selfless person. He was always ready to help someone out or just throw a smile and a chuckle your way, just when you needed it most.

Spencer, thanks for the many gifts of your energy, time, patience, wine and fruit!:P (just to name a few.)

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

For those who are interested, Spencer's family has planned a memorial that will be held tomorrow (3/9) in Bldg. 15 at Harvey Airfield in Snohomish, WA. The event is potluck and will begin at 7pm.

Bump...

Hey guys, pray for some high cloud ceilings...we will be out there jumping today.

-Put in a good word for us with the Big Guy, Spence...weatherman is trying to tell us we aren't gonna get up because of these low clouds. >:(
~Jaye

My condolences go out to his family and all of his friends. My first static line was at Snohomish last August and I was the last person in the class to jump. There was no one else that was on the 182 with us so Spencer came along to do a hop and pop. As soon as we got off the ground he could tell I was getting nervous and gave me words of encouragement all the way up until the door opened. As soon as he landed he ran over to tell me how good my landing looked and that he hoped to see me up there jumping into the east field with him again sometime soon.

This is the only picture I have right now from that day. This was Spencer landing just moments after I did. I think I have a better one on my home pc. I'll check and add it if I do.

You will be missed Spencer!

Following in Karen's footstpes in Josh's memorial thread, I'll post the outline of what I talked about last night at Spencer's memorial:

Spencer was as warm and welcoming as a fireplace in a cabin in the snow. He radiated friendliness in his soft-spoken way. In the time that I have known him, I hadn’t seen Spencer without that glowing smile and a friendly hug waiting. I’ll miss opening the door to the DZ and Spencer sitting there and saying, “Hi, Jaye.” With that big grin. He was so happy out here, he was like a kid in a candy shop.

I started wondering recently…why did Spence choose to experience flight…fly with the birds and tease the clouds as many of us do? Because at 10,000 feet you can’t see taxes. You can’t see your car payment, you can’t see your phone bill, your angry neighbor, you can’t read your e-mail, and even at 3000 feet, I’m pretty sure you still can’t see your boss & co-workers. (Except you guys working here…) What you can see is the silent wonder of rolling green hills, river, ocean, mountains, birds, sunsets. I like to remember that within the last 5 minutes of his life, Spencer again got to witness the majesty of all that is around us. You can see what is good in this world from above, hanging right below your feet.

Spencer was the first to offer his help, whatever was needed. A few weeks back I was complaining about having to switch out my new risers, and he immediately offered to help me do it. Now I wasn’t sure how much Spence knew about gear and rigging, and I darn sure knew that I would definitely screw it up if left with tools and no supervision, so I thought about it…and whereas it might have been pretty funny to everyone else if we managed to get my canopy on backwards, I wasn’t interested in taking the extra time should we end up not getting it right the first time. I said ‘thank you’ but declined. Looking back, I should have asked him to help. At worst we would have been an annoyance to Karen by my insisting on stopping her every few minutes to ask, “Is this right?” “Is this right?” But I didn’t see the urgency in making those little moments count. I thought we’d have plenty of time for that later. So many times we don’t take advantage of those little, random moments with the people that touch our lives every day.

What piece of Spencer will I keep? I’ll keep his glowing smile for everyone. I’ll keep his humble spirit. I’ll keep his sense of serving others before himself. And I will keep his kindness in my heart.

IMPRESSIONS OF A PILOT
Flight is freedom in its purest form,
To dance with the clouds which follow a storm;
To roll and glide, to wheel and spin,
To feel the joy that swells within;
To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;
Then back to earth at the end of a day,
Released from the tensions which melted away.
Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;
Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;
For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.
— Gary Claud Stokor

Blue skies, Spencer. We will miss you, friend.
~Jaye