ltdiver

In Memory of Josh Whipple

For anyone who wasn't able to come to the memorial today, I decided to post up the bit that I wrote about Josh that Barry was kind enough to read for me at the memorial. You rock Barry!

See ya guys at the DZ.

-Karen

You can check out the attachment or right here:

They say that you can pick your friends, but you can’t pick your family. Well, if I could pick my family, I would have picked Josh as my big brother. Since I moved to this area a year and a half ago, Josh was one of the people who made me feel like I had found a home. With my family on the other side of the country, it was comforting to find such a quality friendship. I could always count on his wise words and thoughtfulness; Josh was a great substitute for my “real” family.
My friendship with Josh seemed to be the type that would last a lifetime. I imagine that he was one of the people that I would have kept in contact with no matter where I ended up.
Some of the traits that I admired most about Josh were his gentle kindness, sensitivity to others and his sense of humor. The way that I best remember Josh is of us having some sort of discussion on anything from religion, to low-turns. In my head, Josh is smiling, with his eyes twinkling and half-shut, nodding his head in agreement. We shared very similar views on life and the few times that we disagreed, I quickly realized that Josh was right and listened harder to what he was saying so that I could learn from him.
Last October, a group of us went to a corn maze in Snohomish. After a few hours of walking around in a veritable mud pit, we all decided to head back to my house and carve a pumpkin. Josh bought us a mammoth pumpkin for the occasion and we lugged it back to my place. We all hung out at my house for a while enjoying each others company and then decided to carve the pumpkin another day, so that it would still look fresh for Halloween. Halloween passed us by, and we still had yet to carve this gigantic pumpkin that now had a home in the corner of my dining room. I felt bad that Josh had spent all this money on a huge pumpkin and we still hadn’t done anything with it.
Josh and I began to think about other possible uses for a 67 pound winter squash. We thought about bribing a pilot at the DZ to let us toss it out of a plane over farmland, but realized our jobs would be in jeopardy if we actually accomplished this. I remembered that you could make a stew inside a pumpkin so we thought about having a big dinner party, but then I realized it was too big to fit in my oven. We also thought about hauling it to a dump, but I felt bad that Josh would have wasted his money, so I suggested we drive over to a local cliff one day and roll the pumpkin off the exit point. Josh and I decided that this would be the best thing for the pumpkin and it would also make for good video.
Unfortunately, soon after we made our plans, I realized that the pumpkin was beginning to melt on the floor in my house. So we moved it outside to a corner of my yard, now realizing that it was too fragile to carry all the way to the exit site at the cliff. The pumpkin still sits out in the corner of my yard, rotting. Perhaps my neighbors think it is rude of me to let this pumpkin decompose in my yard. However, I have decided to let this pumpkin have a permanent home at my place. It will be my own little personal memorial to Josh. Once the smell goes away I plan to go plant some flowers in the now-fertile soil in tribute to my good friend.
I’m really going to miss Josh, but at least I have learned from our friendship. Josh showed me what it is to be a really great friend. For the rest of my life I will treasure the memory of the sincerity and kindness of Josh’s words and actions. He had a heart of solid gold, and I’m so thankful that I had the opportunity to be one of his many friends.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Karen,

Thanks for being there today! Thank you to all who were able to attend and all that have posted such kind and soothing words!

That being said, I have a crappy computer! I could not open the word file. I would love to have a copy of your words that Barry read. I do agree, Barry does ROCK. If you are reading this Barry, I can't thank you enough.....Todd and Raist too. I will be in touch with you all soon.

I have met too many really cool people in the last two weeks to count. It totally sucks that we meet this way, but I am grateful to know that my brother was fortunate enough to have such wonderful friends. Thank you all!

Andy

It was really nice, and the turnout was huge. There were a couple of people there whom I haven't seen in years.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Karen that was such a beautiful tribute. :):P;)

Raistlin's reading was very touching, and just as eloquent as he has been online. It's a pleasure to read/hear what he has to say. :)
Jen picked such a great song to perform, and it was inspirational and happy, that's the way I'd like to remember Josh, too. (Apologies I don't think I made it around to tell her how nice that was, dang it. Sorry about that, I am such a scatter-brain sometimes. :()

Josh's aunts' stories were so great to hear; touching and amazing. -And they were fun to chat with outside, I am so glad to have had the opportunity to meet those two ladies.

Kelly did a great job of that video...any word maybe making some copies to buy?

Todd's song was out of this world, too. What an extraordinary talent, and I think Josh was right. He should play live. That kind of sincere music grips your heart when you hear it; brings a physical pain to your chest that, when it subsides, allows peace back into your soul to replace the pain. I know I wasn't the only one in the room who could feel that. It was moving.

Thanks to Deb for letting me cry like a baby for a few minutes too. I didn't expect to need to, but I did.

It was very nice to meet Barry, Andy, Pete, Sally, Raisltin, and many others there at the service. I was so very glad to have been invited to be there with all of you.

Those of you that took on the responsibility of speaking and performing, my hat is off to you. I have made a living speaking before large groups for years, but what you did takes a level of courage I only wish I had in me.

Peace to Josh's family and friends.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Greetings from the Rose City! I've just woken up from a much needed nap and as I yawned, stretched and opened my eyes, I felt a new piece of jewelry knock gently against my skin. As I looked down I noticed the curved metal closing pin, that reads "Serenity, Josh 7/70-2/05", and it was then I realized this weekend actually happened, and it wasn't just a dream...

Barry really did spend the past two weeks working hard with Todd and Andy to coordinate the venue, the speakers, the catering, the kegs, the guest book, and the photos. Kelly really did sift through what must have been thousands of miles of mylar digital video tape from shoe boxes to assemble the most beautiful visual tribute ever created. It wasn't an random memory because Todd really did tap into a vein and bleed his soul all over the musical staff and find the words to express what Josh meant to him, and then had the courage to share that catharsis, sorrow, and joy with us all. It wasn't drunken slumber that made me believe Jen really was able to channel Josh's spirit in her beautiful music and song, as she brought Josh's spirit of kindness to each of us through her fingertips and her voice... and her kind and touching hands of support during and after the ceremony. Josh's nieces, showed tremendous strength as they stood in front of us all and showed us their courage as they learned some of life's most painful lessons at such a young age. My heart goes out to those beautiful children who will, in time, come to peace with the lost opportunity... (as will we all.). It's wasn't a figment of my imagination that Josh's aunts telling us about Josh's past and childhood, and sharing with us stories about his strength and difficult trials as a young boy. It wasn't a dream that Andy, Josh's loving brother, came out to the dropzone last week, and was taken in by Elaine's loving embrace and sincere words of compassion, then woke up at 4am the next day to attend a Memorial BASE jump, then worked madly to organize and coordinate the memorial service, and was able to share himself with the congregation, and find strength in those around him, who are forever connected to him through the common spirit of his blood brother. I can't go back to sleep and pretend I didn't hear the beautiful words Karen wrote and were read by Barry, centered around the circle of life, and eternal memory Josh will maintain in her heart. And even though I'm awake the words of Barry's closing, the stories on Sally's face, the supporting arms of Debbie, Karen, Jaye, Heidi, Jen, Andy, Anne, Brice, Chad, Katie, Mike, Gabe, Elaine, Angie, Todd, Craig, Brian, Mellisa, Tom, Alan, Katya, Judy, Peggy, Sally, Mark, Krisanne, Jeff, Denzel, Kelly, Annie, and everyone else who was there for me when I need a kind word, or a gentle touch of comfort as I waded through a river of sorrow.

As I lean on my crutch of caffine and consciousness washes over me this evening, and I'm again reminded of the events of the past weekend, I realize how much of me is still numb to the idea that Josh isn't coming back. It's as though he just gone on a long vacation, or moved away, or 'needs some time alone'. I would love to pretend that I can administer my own psychological counseling and speed through the grieving process, or least get past the initial state of denial, but I'm no closer now, than I was the moment I first heard the news. The moments of numbness are shattered by moments of intense and firey, passion, as though my frozen and icy spirit of denial was dipped into the steaming hot bath of sorrow, loss, and pain as though you'd taken your frostbitten hands out of the cold snow and run them under extremely hot water. There's the moment of numbness, followed by what feels like pleasure and warmth, followed by extreme pain as you cognitively realize that you are burning your own flesh. And my heart still rides the step functions of this emotional thermometer.

I've stared at the Memorial service program and wondered: did this really happen or was it all just a bad dream? Am I going to wake up and get a call from Josh saying "Hey, where were you last weekend, I thought we supposed to meet at your place on my way south."? But I'm not going to get that call, he's not going to stop by, and I'm not going to get to see him again... there's that denial again. I wonder if I should remove his name from my address book? It seems so petty and artificial, but when the message: "Do you wish to delete this person?" is present I almost break down...

I wish that psychology provided a quick answer to the question of "How does continue to climb the mountain when one of their arms falls off?" How does one continue to race when a loose tire picks a bad time to leave? How does one land a canopy with one only three ring attached? Independence is lost, and we're helpless to achieve greatness on our own. We're scared, we're sad, and we're flailing in the cold winds of life... how do we continue?

I hope it's the same way I got through my Remembrance, relying on the strength and compassion of everyone else there. Leaning on those shoulders to cry on, accepting the white tissue papers, and doing my best to provide the same. You are good people, you come with the highest recommendation any human being could. You're a part of Josh and he is a part of you. Being united with you through the common spirit of our friend. He'll be with us always.

The service gave a sense of closure to many things, but there'll be much more grieving over time. It'll be the small things that remind us that a part of us is missing and we'll do our best to adapt. But always remember that you have my shoulder and ear when you need it. When you're in the middle of dinner and you just break out crying, or when you're packing a parachute, and you just can't help remembering him, or when you're sipping a shot of Scotch and you can't help but think of him...

I wish I knew where to begin... to live my life without him. I wish I knew how, but I don't, was that bad planning on my part? I don't think so.

Thank you again for all your kindness and support.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

In the same vein as Karen, I thought I'd post my Remembrance. This is what I wrote, although my actual delivery involved some ad-libbing. Here's to you Josh...

How does one cope with the loss of beauty? Or the loss of that which we love? How do we cope with realization that we are powerless to protect so much of what we hold dear? John Milton once stood at the edge of a cliff on the coast and commanded the ocean: “Roll on, mighty ocean, roll on” and I’ve always secretly smirked at this moment of hubris, as Milton presumes to have the power to dictate the actions of the ocean. You’ll notice he never tested this power by commanding it to be silent. In the same way Milton could not change the course of the ocean, none of us can change the patterns of the past in regards to Josh. But our love of him and his life meant to us will remain as immortal as the ocean.

Josh was beauty, he was a beautiful person with a magnificent spirit. His spirit was a work of art which outshined anything the great masters have ever committed to canvass. His life was a complex symphony of high notes, subtle undertones, varying tempo, and several different melodies within a single piece. When we leave the museum, or the concert hall, we take our memories of what we experienced with us and the ways we changed because we had that experience. So we will with Josh.

Josh was always prepared to improve someone else’s life. He’d paint a bright color onto your life when he’d be there with a bottle of champagne (or beer) to celebrate your latest achievement, or to be a source of strength and support during a painful challenge of your life. Josh had a rare and unique ability to carefully listen to the important details of the conversation and with the delicate hand of a surgeon he would offer his help. He wanted to improve the core of someone’s life, not simply paint on the surface.

Josh was a gentleman who lived by the gentleman’s code. He was respectful of others, soft spoken, kind, and could be counted upon to do what he said he would do: he was honest. Josh inherently lived his life striving to live up to a moral code he believed would make the world a better place. He treated those around with him respect and dignity and was ready to offer a helping hand to those who could use one. He would protect those who could not protect themselves, and was committed to justice.

Josh was an amazingly intelligent person. He wasn’t content to live life according to the answers that were handed to him by others, he had to examine the methods by which they arrived at that answer and make his own decision about the validity of the end result, as well as the process used to arrive at that result. Josh’s mind was always observing things, analyzing them, and hypothesizing about how and why things worked the way they did. His mind was always engaged and applying what he knew to his life and the lives of those around him. His mind could just play with the world, finding the strange inconsistencies that make the world a funny place.

Josh was the person you could trust. We all look in the mirror and see our own flaws and worry about how they’ll be perceived by others. Josh was the person who was able to see those insecurities for what they were and look through them to see the greatness on the other side. You could be –you- around Josh without fear of judgment or prejudice.

Josh was the best teacher I’ve ever known. Josh was able to teach things in such a way that people didn’t know they were being taught. He was able to pass on knowledge and information to others in clear and communicative ways that never involved standing on a soap box, or preaching. He would lead by example, or roll up his sleeves and work on the project with you. He would take interest in your life and projects, because they are a part of you, and he’d invest in their success. He wasn’t a spectator of your life, he was an active participant doing his best to see you succeed, and occasionally cracking a few good jokes.

Josh invested in us, taught us, changed us, smiled at us, and became a part of us. He’ll always be a part of us, and he gave different parts of his spirit and personality to each of us. His spirit is alive and well, and should be celebrated in ourselves and those around us. I’ll miss having Josh here, I’ll miss his dry sense of humor, his complex mind, his, his quick wit, his generous and selfless nature, his sincere and genuine concern for the welfare of his friends, and everything else that he was… but I know he’ll always be with me.

find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

That was beautiful and very well read, Raistlin. :)
For friends of Josh's that don't read Skydive Snohomish's message board, I have let a few of you know individually that I am making up these closing pin necklaces in his memory. Take a look at the attached file; I know it didn't scan as nicely as it looks.

Here's what we're doing: If you would like a closing pin -on a necklace, keychain, or just the pin- they will be $9 each. All money over what it costs me to do these up will go towards Snohomish Search & Rescue in Josh's name.

Sorry, DZ.com is the best way I can come up with to disseminate this info on a larger scale, I'm not sure how to reach everyone that knew Josh...so please, if you know someone that might want one, help me out and send them an e-mail or phone call. I don't want to leave anyone out.

If you can't pick it up from Skydive Snohomish or Kent (where I live), I'll try to figure out what shipping is for you. It shouldn't be that bad, they are fairly light.

If you have chosen to honor his memory in another way, that's perfectly alright! It makes no difference whether I end up doing 10 or 50 or whatever. It's just an idea, friends. Take care.

Thanks
~Jaye

Todd's song was out of this world, too. What an extraordinary talent, and I think Josh was right. He should play live. That kind of sincere music grips your heart when you hear it; brings a physical pain to your chest that, when it subsides, allows peace back into your soul to replace the pain. I know I wasn't the only one in the room who could feel that. It was moving.

I knew Todd was pretty talented because Josh had kept a voice mail of Todd playing and played it once out at the DZ. He commented that he was always trying to convince Todd to play for a wider audience. I'm sad for the reason that Todd played, but incredibly glad that I got to hear him share his gifts with better acoustics than a tinny cell phone speaker can provide. Pretty powerful stuff.

I was poking around the Seattle Skydivers site tonight looking at old pictures. This one took place before my time, but I've heard the story. Yes, he's landing a reserve in the peas. I've heard that Josh's response was something along the lines of "well, it was an accuracy jump!"

I was poking around the Seattle Skydivers site tonight looking at old pictures. This one took place before my time, but I've heard the story. Yes, he's landing a reserve in the peas. I've heard that Josh's response was something along the lines of "well, it was an accuracy jump!"

I was searching for his main, as I recall...:S:(
~Jaye

You have to admire a guy who deals with a cutaway and still focuses on landing for accuracy... especially under a tempo. Anyone here seen or experienced a tempo landing? The picture looks like most I've seen, although Josh kicked ass in terms of accuracy!

-=Raistlin

dear friends of josh whipple:

my husband and i are kinda out of the loop in montana, and i'm just now struggling to figure out what happened! we hadn't seen josh in a couple of years, and it breaks our hearts to hear of any loss in the skydiving/BASE family. thank you to everyone who has contributed messages, thoughts, pics, and support.

much love to you all, and blue skies.

lena and mikey morrill
Once you visit Skydive Lost Prairie
Your heart will never leave.

Boogie with us... www.skydivelostprairie.com

It's been two weeks since the memorial service.

I wish I could say the healing powers of never neverland have found their way into my life and removed the thorn which replaced the place in my life that Josh once occupied. The painful experience of enduring a sharp and pressing pain, combined with the absence of that which was sacred and loved is an odd and bitter mixture.

Fortunately Josh's memory has become an eternal part of us and a source of strength and inspiration. I spent today with Andy, Todd, and Scott, and enjoyed building new friendships and bonds inspired by Josh and his memory. :-)

Thanks guys.

-=Raistlin

I know Raistlin,

on the way home from work the other morning I was listening to a GreenDay song that reminds me of Josh. I'm glad I was alone with my thoughts and I'm thankful for the long drive because there's still tears that show up from time to time.

For some reason, this one has been a lot harder for me to deal with. Maybe it's just because I don't understand it, even after some time has passed.

Maybe that's what is wrong... I'm trying to understand something that can't be understood. I just want him back so we can go make a jump together and drink beer. I want him back so all of his friends won't have to hurt anymore. I want him back so the world can bo back to being bright like it was before he left us.

I didn't really know Josh as well as many of his friends, but I guess with Josh, none of that mattered.

For some reason, this one has been a lot harder for me to deal with. Maybe it's just because I don't understand it, even after some time has passed.

I think you've hit on something key here. This is the aspect of the entire conundrum that brings about intense, although directionless, emotion. One goes through feelings of sadness, pain, anger, longing, and whatever else hits at the moment however the feelings do not directly correlate to anything. It's an aimless and directionless series of powerful feelings that stem from the heart and have little to no interaction with the rationality of the mind. While one's mind understands that Josh is dead and isn't coming back, and any letters sent to him won't be read, calling his phone won't result in him answering, sending him email won't be responded to, setting a place for him at the table will remain empty and inviting him to do things isn't going to be successful, the heart pays no attention. In some ways it hurts that it's been so long since I've heard from him, and after feeling that small jolt of sadness, (and only afterwards) does cognitive memory remember "Oh right... he's not here anymore.". It's akin to having a piece of equipment that's broken and constantly forgetting it's broken and then feeling frustrated every time you try to use it.

I miss him. The fact that he isn't coming back hasn't quite 'clicked', and I still feel the gaunlet of things that I did the day he died... I suppose the volume has been turned down on those feelings, although even as recently as yesterday I felt a crescendo.

I look forward to one day being able to think of Josh without feeling the perpetual painful pinprick attached to the loss... Perhaps in time...

--

I had a beautiful experience this past weekend, as I did something I considered important in the saying 'goodbye' process. Josh opened a very beautiful "A" in Seattle, which was later decorated with christmas lights. We planned a two way off that "A" where he would mount his helmet camera backwards, and he'd do a short hand held delay and I'd static line it. The plan was I'd wear my Santa hat, and some other tacky, but seasonal apparel and we'd do a synchronized landing, and put that up on the net as a 'Season's Greetings'. We even approached it one night ready to go, although the winds weren't right, our blood/alcohol contents weren't quite right either, so we ended up playing darts, and talking that night. The plan was to get out there and try again... unfortunately that moment never came to be.

It was supposed to be our jump, a silly moment of humor between us, and something we were going to do for the sake of celebrating the comraderie we shared. I know he's still a part of me, and that we had an unfinished project... (we still have others and I'm going down the list..)

After several unelegant attempts at gaining access, I finally got onto to object (after comedic attempts which served to amuse (and waste the time of) my generous ground crew. ;-) ) I climbed up the antenna, and arrived at the top of the structure in about 20 minutes. As I rested and caught my breath, I stared at the beautiful night time cityscape of Seattle. I looked up the sound, the lakes, the top of the Space Needle, the pretty scene of the hustle and bustle of the Saturday night life, and smiled as I imagined Josh up on top in his fancy suit and polished shoes with his new rig on his back, struggling around, just like me, trying to find a good exit point. I setup my static line and exited from one side of the antenna, leaving plenty of room for him next to me, so our 2 way would go smoothly. We both jumped together, and I flared by myself, and then I saw him behind me... he was there in smiles and high fives from Todd and Scott. It was a fantastic moment... and for a few seconds I really felt at peace...

I have a few more unfinished projects, but each one is a moment of beauty. It's a pleasure to share with those who remember him, and hopefully can see some of him, in me. (although he used to land better than I do. ;-))

-=Raistlin

It's been awhile, one year ago today, the world became one beautiful soul poorer, and the concept of 'in memory' shines loudly in my eyes reverberating with the same frequency as my heartbeart. This hasn't been an easy week for me, and I know there are others that feel the same way, as the life beat of my departed friend chimes away in my memory.

Today is the marked day that the world lost one of it's good ones that we came to know, love, and make a part of our lives, and it was a year ago that the tragic news struck like a lightning bolt and shattered so many things. Although each day of this past year has been a baby step towards adjusting to living without him.

It's a strange thing... it's been a year, and I haven't been able to talk to Josh, see him, smile with him, jump with him, or drink with him but I still remember him as such a vibrant part of my life, it seems strange that he's missed the past year and I've missed his. Almost as though we should talk any day now and catch up on what's happened, although when if I dialed his number, I'd get someone else, the line has been lost. That's a metaphor... Lost lines, the end of the line, the mark that was a defining influence, boundary and part of our lives.

Jaye gave me a closing pin that's still around my neck and as the pins reads "Serenity". The concept is something beautiful finding peace and solace in a distant haven deep within the isolationist confines of the soul and heart. Josh taught us a lot about serenity, about finding that sense of balance and peace in the mind. About finding a sense of self in the chaos of the universe, and he'd bring out the best in those who were lucky enough to know him.

One year... it seems like such long time ago, a different life, a different country, a different person, and in a different universe.

I miss him...

Here's to you my friend.

In Loving Memory,
-=Raistlin

Thanks... It's going to be a strange day. I leave to Arizona tonight.... someone once told me that the desert air is a good place to clear your mind. I hope all is well with you today.

-=Raistlin

That is exactly how I feel.

I didn't think I would be emotional today.. but then I just had a thought, that this last year would have been a great year to have Josh around. I started going to school at the UW (where he went to school), I've become even more jaded about various issues (politics, religion..) Basically, I've got a huge list of things that I wish I could catch Josh up on.

But I guess there is nothing special about this year.. Josh was just a great person to have around no matter what. Whether things were going wrong and you needed him to cheer you up, or if things were going great and you just wanted to share that with him.

Man, I miss that guy. Still doesn't seem fair, I wasn't finished with being his friend.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Man, I miss that guy. Still doesn't seem fair, I wasn't finished with being his friend.

That's incredibly bitter-sweet, on both sides of the hyphen, and for that matter the friendship, Karen. :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)