slotperfect

Former GK Pedro Munoz Killed In Afghanistan

Pedro was a Golden Knight Demonstrator.

I will post memorial service information here when I get it.

John

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.php?Template=local&Story=6773598

Afghan casualty based at Bragg

By Kevin Maurer
Staff writer

A Fort Bragg Special Forces soldier was killed over the weekend in southern Afghanistan, the Department of Defense said Monday.

Munoz
Sgt. 1st Class Pedro A. Munoz, 47, of Quebradillas, Puerto Rico, died Sunday in Shindand, Afghanistan. Munoz was an operations and intelligence sergeant assigned to the 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group.

The Associated Press reported Sunday that Munoz's patrol came under attack from ''an unknown number of enemy forces" while searching a compound near Shindand Airfield in Herat Province.

Munoz was wounded in the firefight and was pronounced dead while he was being taken from the scene, according to a U.S. Army Special Operations Command statement.

U.S. and Afghan government forces have been stationed at Shindand Airfield, 400 miles west of Kabul, since intervening in August to stop factional fighting in the region near the Iranian border.

The patrol was part of Operation Lightning Freedom, an American-led offensive launched to root out the Taliban after Hamid Karzai's inauguration as Afghanistan's first directly elected president in December.

117th combat death

Munoz was the first U.S. combat death in Afghanistan this year and at least the 117th in Afghanistan since the war on terrorism began in late 2001.

Munoz is survived by his wife, Gisela, and his daughter, Dalia, U.S. Army Special Operations Command said. Attempts to contact his family were unsuccessful.

A native of Quebradillas, Puerto Rico, Munoz joined the Army in February 1986. He was assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group and deployed for operation Desert Storm.

Previous
Soldier dies in Afghan battle (Jan. 3)

In 1997, he was assigned to the Golden Knights. He is a veteran of more than 300 static-line and 4,000 free-fall parachute jumps.

He joined the 7th Group in 2002.

His awards and decorations include the Bronze Star with Valor device, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

Five Special Forces soldiers - Chief Warrant Officer Bruce E. Price, Capt. Daniel W. Eggers, Spc. Robert J. Mogensen, Staff Sgt. Robert S. Goodwin and Staff Sgt. Tony B. Olaes - were killed in Afghanistan in 2004. All of the soldiers were assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group, which was replaced by 7th Special Forces Group in Afghanistan this fall.

My condolences to the family and friends. I'm sure this is a tough loss to take. Know you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I know several of our members are over there fighting for freedom which we all know isn't free. Please take care and be safe guys (and gals).

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Pedro and I worked together in the 3rd Special Forces Group from 1991 until I left the unit in 1998. He was a very "intense" individual to say the least. Older than most guys at his pay grade by some margin, he was harder than woodpecker lips; completely ripped. I was surprised when he went to GK tryouts and made it with so few jumps, but then again I had no idea he really ever wanted to go in the first place. After he left that team (actually a few times during his stay as a GK) we jumped together on the USASOC parachute team. Pedro was all business and would stomp the fuck out of the target. As far as I knew he had enough time in the service to retire, but simply "had to get back in the mix" and took that position over at the 7th group (in my old battalion). It pains me to know that he has passed, but such is the nature of the job. No one volunteers for the school and subsequent duty without full knowledge they are putting themselves directly in harms way. You all know how many skydiving buddies I have lost this past year, but you have never heard me mention how many former SF teammates have lost their lives since 9/11.

BSBD

Chuck

how many former SF teammates have lost their lives since 9/11.

It's one of the toughest jobs in the world. During my almost 10 year career in the military there were VERY few people that got "automatic" respect. Team guys were one of the few. Sad to see yet another loss but I can't think of a more worthy way to go.

As one of my former CSM's said

"You do not have permission to die, only to go onto the next fight"

Go with the knowlege that you did good in this world and we shall see you again my brother.

Deepest respect

Robert

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Pedro and I worked together in the 3rd Special Forces Group from 1991 until I left the unit in 1998. He was a very "intense" individual to say the least. Older than most guys at his pay grade by some margin, he was harder than woodpecker lips; completely ripped. I was surprised when he went to GK tryouts and made it with so few jumps, but then again I had no idea he really ever wanted to go in the first place. After he left that team (actually a few times during his stay as a GK) we jumped together on the USASOC parachute team. Pedro was all business and would stomp the fuck out of the target. As far as I knew he had enough time in the service to retire, but simply "had to get back in the mix" and took that position over at the 7th group (in my old battalion). It pains me to know that he has passed, but such is the nature of the job. No one volunteers for the school and subsequent duty without full knowledge they are putting themselves directly in harms way. You all know how many skydiving buddies I have lost this past year, but you have never heard me mention how many former SF teammates have lost their lives since 9/11.

BSBD

Chuck

As a former 3rd Grouper who has fought in the desert with 7th you will be missed. So far away, I never felt closer to anyone than the brotherhood I have with men like this and those like them.

The SF community has lost some damn good men in the war, and unfortunately its far from over. But be certain that everyone one of them went down with the fight still in them.

I've got a few buddies over there with 7th group now, in hoping for the safe return of the rest of them.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thinking about it even more i think i met him at some point when i was going through the course. If he's the person i am thinking of he was a real friendly guy.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

With deep sadness, my condolences go to his family and all of us who loved him!
He was a hard man with a kind heart and would do or give anything for anyone.
Unfortunately, for his family he did give everything.
He gave everything for his love of this country and the freedom we have.
He will truly be missed as a Husband, father, skydiver, soldier and as a friend.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

William Shakespeare - "King Henry V" (4.3.43),
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

I was involved with this incident and won't go into to details but I will say it saddened us all greatly when it happened. Pedro, myself and a few others here with me all made a work jump together right before leaving, Pedro was flying camera. It was big fun that day. It is no lie that Pedro was as hard as woodpecker lips. He could PT with dudes half his age and knock their dicks into the dirt. No one was a harder worker or a more "CAN Do" guy than Pedro. We held a plane side and memorial ceremony here in honor of him. Pedro will not be forgotten.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There is a terrific piece about Pedro in the "Spotlight" column of the January 17, 2005 issue of US New and World Report.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/050117/usnews/17spotlight.htm

The hard copy of the magazine has a picture as well.

Scott - PM me your snail mail address in theater and I'll send it to you.
Arrive Safely

John