goshawk

Peter Leighton-Woodruff

Lou,

Thanks for your email on Saturday evening and to the other people who got in touch to pass on the bad news.

I think the lack of posts so far is a reflection of the shock everyone is feeling. You know what an understatement it is to say that we've lost one of Headcorn's great characters - once we've got our heads around this there will be so many stories to remember him by.

Condolences to his family and many friends. I am so sorry.

Mike D.

He really was a great guy.

I met him earlier this year at Perris. He spent a few weeks with my friends and I, joining in with the laughs and teaching us loads. Not an instructor who jumps with you and dissapears after a debrief - Pete was there all day, packing next to you, shooting shit, yanking your boxers down for a laugh when you weren't looking. He was one of the guys.

He put half our club through their CAT10 and was genuinly looking forward to comming out to the states with us next year as our WARP coach. I know he had a profound affect on a number of the guys in the club - a really great teacher. I think some of the guys took far more than just skydiving lessons away from that trip too, and that was mainly down to Pete.

It's a pity he won't be joining us again next year. We'll miss him randomly popping onto our club forums to take the piss a little and keep us updated on where in the world he was jumping.

Clap your hands together and yell "whooo" once under canopy - he'd get the message.

He was the first person to talk to me when i got to headcorn. I'll never forget that, or how he tried to teach me warp.. or in fact loads of shit. So many memories of him all of which are flooding back now. :(

You'll be very sorely missed dude, and i'll definately be clapping my hands under canopy and shouting wooooooooo.

Words cant begin to describe how shitty this is.

I'll make sure i look out my best ripped jeans, just for you.

Blue Skies, fly free

Macca
:(
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

My condolences and prayers goes out to his family and loved ones. I had met Peter L. only at the beginning of this year at Z-hills in March during a course. He is someone whom I find very responsible and dedicated to his work. This incident comes as a total shock to me. Only last week, he had sent an email to me requesting for some of the photographs we had taken during the course to be put onto his website.
Rest well, my friend, until we meet again in the blue skies!
Remember those who have left us
Cherish those who are still with us, and
Help those who need our help
Life is short, live it!

I'm still very shocked by this tragic accident.

I haven't been jumping long, but he had made a lasting impression on me. He was always prepared to put some time aside to help me learn this sport - whether as a WARP coach or just by being a friendly face with good advice in the bar. Even on Saturday, he wanted to us to jump so I could get my CAT 10.

Today I watched the video he made of my "assisted exit". I will always remember: he thought he could get into the Guinness Book of Records for his 2 and a half mile "dwarf toss".

Blue skies!

Big Tone

Well i have no idea really what to say here, Pete will be missed by all who knew him, a good friend and always had time for people. A loss to everyone at headcorn and all others who knew him round the world at different DZ's

My thoughts go out especially to his family during this time.

BlueSkies dude

J

:(
------------------------------------------------
We fly so close, sometimes we fly too close
------------------------------------------------

If anyont would like to sent their condolences to Pete's partner Liz then please address to Liz Jeffries, Headcorn Parachute Club, Headcorn Airfield, Headcorn, Kent TN27 9HX and your letters/card will be passed on. I will post details for the funeral as soon as details have been decided.

------------------------------------------------------------
Lou. It is better to be happy for a moment and be burned up with beauty than to live a long time and be bored all the while.

Pete filmed my level 1 aff at headcorn we met him in the local pub the night before and he entertained us with funny skydiving tales , he made us feel so welcome and relaxed.
this is very sad news indeed.
I watched the film he made last night and saw him do the clap and "whooooo" thing under his canopy.
my thoughts go out to his family at this time.

blue skies mate
http://www.digitalcollectivedesign.co.uk
07818 055446

I was always be indebted to Pete for leading me to start jumping at Headcorn in the first place, where I have made a lot of mates, Pete being one. I answered an advert for a 4-way team, what I was thinking I dont know with my 20 jumps but thats a different story. He made me feel perfectly welcome, and sane, especially when I saw the first rendition of the 'dance of the flaming arseholes'! He was always such a character and will be missed by a lot of people, not just limited to Headcorn. Feel the luv.

I was planning on posting a couple when I got home tonight. Haven't had the chance yet as last night I met up with a load of the guys to have a drink on Pete.

Ended up swapping stories and reminicing about the time Pete and a couple of us were faced with a Police helecopter search light looking for us in one of the fields near Perris... only to turn round and find Pete already legging it back to the Bomb Shelter calling for us to get our arses in gear and follow before we were seen.

That an the 2 hours he spent trying to dry his mobile in the flames of a smudge pot after being pulled into the Perris pool by one the WARP students he was helping to dunk. He didn't care about the mobile - he wanted to get his wifes number off it so he could call her in the morning and let her know he was fine.

Attached are a couple of pics I was able to pull off a friends album on the net, but I know I'll have better at home.

What can I say, a dimond geeza, especially for such a northern monkey. We'll miss you heaps mate.

Wearing my jeans with the holes in the arse and the assortment of Pippy socks just won't be the same without those hollers across the dz.

So many good times, such a generous, warm and funny guy who always made the time.

My heart goes out to Liz, Emma and the rest of his family.

Blue skies buddy

Sky Pikey

I remember Pete as being one of the most colourful characters at Headcorn, and he was always very friendly and helpful to me. It's very sad to see another Headcorn fatality, not least because the safety regime seems very strong compared with other DZs I've jumped at (although I admit my experience is very limited).

He will be missed.