sangiro

Condolences for Chris Martin (GroundZero)

Heya all,

As some of you may know we tragically lost another friend. Chris Martin (GroundZero) died Saturday at Skydive Arizona. My heart breaks. :(

You can post your condolences and memories here.

The incident will be discussed in this thread in the Incidents forum. Please reserve that thread for discussion of the incident only.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Chris, how sad I was to hear you've passed on. You have been a fountain of information, and a great source of education for lots of people around the world. How badly you will be missed...how very badly.

Thank you for giving the sky to so many people. Thank you for your love, your laugh, your joy, and your incredible generosity.

Rest easy now, and know that yours was a life which counted - in the sky and on the ground. Dance in the golden sun, play tag with clouds, drift forever on the wind. Endless freefall is yours...and while we miss you, you are now Home.

To Chris's family: when the loss gets too great to bear, look at the sky and see him flying through the endless blues; listen to his laugh carried on the wind; and see his spirit reflected in the eyes of his children. He is not far...peek into your heart and see him there, living always with you.

Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Chris was well loved. He made a difference to scores of skydivers. If there is anything we (his "other" family) can do, please don't hesitate to ask. It hurts, I know, to lose someone; if you need anything, reach out. We're here for you. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Rest in Peace, Chris, and know you live on in our hearts, and in the sky.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

OMG...

I am fairly speechless right now.. Condolences to his family and to all of his many friends. Chris was a very dear man.. and he will be greatly missed:(:(

Ok I will go slink off to a corner and do some serious crying now...[:/]

Blue Skies forever Chris...

:(:(

Wow, I'm shocked. It just doesn't seem possible. Chris was a great guy and a fantastic skydiver. I really got to know him better over the last two years as he was a great supporter of the Team Funnel Fundraisers, we talked a lot online and always had a few drinks at boogies, esp this year as we waited out the rain at both WFFC and CF (he gave me some great birdman advice as well!).

I truly respected his opinion and his years in the sport. The sport lost a leader yesterday [:/] He will be missed.

Blue skies forever brother - enjoy those never ending flocks now.

i got to meet an chat with him for a while last year in eloy over christmas., very nice guy and very knowlagable.... i was loking forward to getting to see him agin this christmas...:( blues dude.......

This hurts...

Oh what to say.

Chris was an inspiration and always helpful when I asked questions. I had the pleasure of taking him on his first California BASE jump and what a bundle of positive energy he was.

Speachless, I was going to stay home today but now I'm going to go make a skydive this afternoon and think about how positive of a life force Chris was.

I'll certainly miss chatting with you both online and at events. Thanks for helping me out so much with my equipment, my brothers equipment, and Brittany's raven. Thanks for all the good conversation and laughs when you were in California. I'm so glad we were able to make that kick ass sunrise load off the green.

so much more...

Good Bye my friend.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm in shock. Just yesterday I was driving through Tullahoma for the first time in years, and I felt a great need to stop by and say hello to Chris. I had not seen him in a few years and wanted to stop, but I was late for my Grandmother's birthday. I obviously would have missed him. I really miss him now. Shit. BSBD

I've been thinking about what to say since yesterday...
I could share a lot about Chris and the interaction we've had over the past years.
Instead, I will share the conversation that we had yesterday...
Chris came into manifest in his usual cheery way and said "Bets...we gotta talk!" I was thinking okay..he has something up his sleeve! LOL:)Chris asked me to show him the tent placement for the Holiday Boogie Vendor Fair, he wanted to make sure that he was strategically located close to Aubrey from Aerodyne. He said that he loved to tease Aubs. He then said to me that I should just give him the best tent space I had since he was confirming his attendance for all the years to come. In his own words he really loved this drop zone.
We then talked of the wingsuit jump we had planned together for today. It was to be one where we could enjoy the quiet of the sky together. A jump that we had promised each other for well over a year, a jump that will have to wait.
Yesterday was somber, but the night...last night people stood on the bar, toasted Chris, and drank like damn vikings...he wouldnt have wanted it any other way.
Today the Precision wind blades grace the main landing area at this drop zone in honor of our friend...and we continue to flock on.

B2

I only started to get to know Chris since Couch Freaks this year but it was clear from the start that he was one of the good guys. He had the knowledge and wisdom of a veteran jumper that he was with the enthusiasm and excitement of a first year student. As with so many that have passed before you we will miss your presence here but know we will meet again when the time is right.

Blue Skies my friend.

Devin

I read this, walked away and came back hoping somehow I had read it wrong. I had never met Chris, but was lucky enough to have crossed paths with him through here. We talked last week about my new canopy and what I wanted. He was so full of knowledge and so willing to work with me to get exactly what I'd be happy with. Thank you, Chris.

I also want to share that I talked to Chris while he was on vacation. He and one of his children were laughing and having such a wonderful time that they had me laughing. Thank you for sharing some of your laughter with me.

Fly Free, Chris. I hope you are having a good time learning to fly your wings.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I've had a heck of a time here collecting my thoughts and just getting away from the computer several times cause I just find it hard to believe that Chris is gone. His smile and enthusiasm for the sport that he loved and contributed so much to will be sorely missed.

I remember how Chris let me demo the Nitron at the WFFC this past year and made sure everything was right and let me put as many jumps on it as I wanted to do. He wanted me to get the feel for the canopy that just one flight would not do. That was Chris.

My heartfelt condolences go out to Chris's family and friends.

Calen C. Chrzan
Skydive Houston

I cant remember the last time I was so sad. God I miss him. :(

I've been having trouble landing my Nitron lately. All day yesterday, my landings were great. I couldnt wait to tell him.

I have a ton of pictures of him at home. I'm on a business trip, when I get home I will post more.

Photos
Chris is in the first photo with me sitting on his lap.. he loved those grande margaritas..
He is also in a photo with Kristi and Haley from the balloon festival 4 weeks ago.
The 'happy hooster' photo is his 22 mo old daughter Haley, who he always called "The most beautiful baby in the world". And she is.
The photo "Martin girls" are his wife, Kristi, and Haley.

Blue skies, Chris. I still need your guidance so please come fly with me. I wanted you to take me on my first wingsuit jump, and I still want you to be there.

love always,
Kristi

Still waiting to wake up and find that this is a dream...:(

Fly free chris. We shall meet again someday.

Me too. Theres nothing right about this.

I remember once Chris told me that if I ever burned in, he would would kick my ass and then cry like a baby. I'd like to kick his ass, but I'm too busy crying like a baby. :(

Speaking of babies, I also remember the time he ran over to my truck like he was going to come out to the bar with me and Londke, but it was all a ploy to plant a poopy diaper in the back seat. The whole time I thought Londke had eaten something rotten! hehehee... :D So after I found it I planted it in the desk drawer in manifest. Nice sunday morning surprise! :ph34r: