SkymonkeyONE

Blue Skies, Black Death (Roger Nelson)

I flipped on the news tonight and saw the story. They showed roger swooping and stated that someone had died at SDC. I said to myself, "Can't be Roger, can't be Roger". I'm kinda in a state of shock right now, Roger was such an inspiration to me and he probably didn't even know it.:(:( My heart goes out to Roger's family and friends, especially Missy and Rook...

Blue Skies
:(Chris:(

Chris, he knew. That's the way he lived his life. To inspire people. To cause change. And you'd be amazed of the stories where he would remember people and jumps years after the fact when the person was sure he'd never remember.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

It's weird...Just yesterday I saw a friend that did her tandem at skydive chicago while I was doing AFP. She invited me in and she was telling me she'll be doing another tandem in July and can't wait to see Roger. He was just good people. We were all camping out, drinking beer and Roger rolls up on his golf cart and offered to show us the (not done) auditorium and just made sure everyone was enjoying themselves.

Another time I asked him where the cheap hotels are at and he asked me, "Are you looking for a hotel room or just a place to crash?" I said the latter and he hooked me up w/ a room upstairs, let me use the shower and bathroom up there too, then when I asked if there was anything I could do or give him in return he responded, "Just do something good for somebody else.":)
Chris

I only jumped with Roger once, recently. I've been jumping for less than a year, and I would never expect to get on a jump with Roger Nelson, but that speaks volumes about the person he was.

He embodied everything I wish to achieve in this sport, and I am still in shock he is gone. Like most others who may only have spent a brief moment of time with him, he had a profound and lasting affect on me probably without ever knowing it.

It is no exageration to say that Roger was a hero and a role model to me. I don't live in the Midwest, but I looked forward to making SDC my home dropzone away from home and learning from Roger.

I hope Roger's spirit and dreams live on at SDC. My deepest sympathies to Missy and Rook and all those who lived, worked and played with Roger.

And thank you, Roger, for spreading the love.

It would seem the past few days have been black ones for the worldwide skydiving community. I am deeply saddened. My friend is still in hospital, recovering from a terrible lending accident before Easter. He is still not allowed to have visitors other than family and closest friends. Skydiving gives great pleasures, but the price can be very high.

BSBD

"When we are young, wandering the face of the earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth, learning that we're only immortal, for a limited time." (Dreamline, RUSH 1991)

Roger knew what his dreams were worth and accomplished them many times over and helped others in this great sport achieve theirs whether students or experienced.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends at SDC.

Calen C. Chrzan

:( Roger, I'm gonna miss you! I didn't get to know you long enough. You lived your life in the truest sense and form. Thank you for being such a wonderful person. Thank you for being you. Thank you for helping us build our dz! Thank you for getting your hands dirty with the rest of us! :o I was so excited to get to meet you, and was so amazed at your strength, your kindness, :) I miss you and haven't been able to stop thinking about you and your new flight ever since I found out. :( The world won't be the same without you. You have left your bounds of the earth and are finally free. You will be in my thoughts often and forever.

Missy and Rook, my love to you. Roger spoke to me once about how he loved "playing "with his kids, flying with you. He loved you two so very much.

Blue ones forever Roger

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

People are sort of like clouds.

We get to admire them for a brief period of time, but they eventually move on. But just because we can't see them anymore doesn't mean they don't still exist. They've just drifted somewhere beyond our view.

My condolences to Rook, Missy, and all of Roger's friends and family. :(

BSBD

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Hey, Roger?

Just wanted to take a quick minute to say thanks....thanks for standing for what you believed in. Thanks for having passion in such abundance it electrified everyone around you. Thanks for having a vision big enough that it touched a whole community. Thanks for having a dream, and for having the courage to see it through. Thanks for giving people the understanding of what this really is all about - that limits are self imposed, and only as confining as you allow them to be.

I never did get to meet you. But if I had, I would've said thanks...and you would've understood.

Missy and Rook, you are in my prayers. He is not gone, he is in your heart, in your sky. He will never be farther away from you than a smile, a hug from a friend, and if you listen close, you'll hear him laughing...I promise.

My condolences, and my deepest sympathies, to all who are affected. And to the other jumper, you are in my heart and prayers, too.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

***Welcome to the Society of Vampires. /quote]

No, it is the Society of Denial. Everyone sees something happen and then steps on the plane because "it won't happen to them". Really? Why not? A lot of jumps? A lot of experience?

You can do everything right and still die. :( Be safe my friends. I want to meet and jump with each of you.

This is terrible. It is always terrible. My thoughts with the family.

perhaps instead it the Society of Acceptance.

everyone KNOWS they could die doing this, its happened before and will happen again.

But death is a part of life, and you can exist in fear of the moment she calls you or you can enjoy every second you are given until the day you hear the sound of her wings..

its all up to you, but "running away and hiding under the bed" only limits the time in your life that really make it worth all the suffering otherwise..

I just met Roger in March, at the mardi Gras Boogie. He was so nice and I couldn't believe that the Roger Nelson actually talked to me... just another skydiver. He even asked me if I was going to jump with him on Sunday. That might not be a big deal to anyone but me, but I was flattered. He is the only person that I have ever met who died while skydiving. Unfortunately, I know he won't be the last. Blue skies to you Roger... and thanks for touching my life.

:( I didn't know Roger but heard lot of good things about him last night from several people that were close friends with him. Wish I could have met this wonderful guy and awesome skydiver. I'm so sorry and send my condolences.
Blue skies forever, you will always be remembered.
PMS #113
PMTS #19

Like many other people here, I never had the pleasure of meeting Roger, but it's clear from this thread how many lives he touched.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends, especially Rook, who I met for the first time and jumped with just last weekend, and who is a great guy. It's a very sad day.

Joe

I have spent quite a bit of time absorbing this. I found it shocking that a man as charismatic as Roger Nelson could leave us so quickly. This has sent a ripple throughout our entire tight-knit community, that will be felt for quite some time.

Not one of us is invincible or infallible. We do what we love, and we love what we do; until we decide that the associated risks are not worth the personal gains, we will continue to forge ahead on our chosen paths, and continue to lose other sky- brothers/sisters. It is always a conscious choice.

Roger understood the meaning of loss, love, risk, and faith; he built a legacy that will endure. Through his children, his career, his faith, and his dropzone, he will be remembered and live on.

My heart goes out to Rook, Missy, and the rest of his family--blood and otherwise. He must be so proud of all of you for your strength.

BSBD

Much love
g

Whenever these tragedies happen, I think of Carl Boenish' well known quote:

“Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.”
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I learned of this loss Sunday morning, but it still hasn't completely set in.

I met Roger in 99 at my AFF cert course at SDC. Rook was in the course as well. I, like many, haven't had many signatures in my book since my D. I do have Roger's thuogh. His powerful and possitive personality amazes me still. On May 5, 1999 on my second AFF eval dive in which he was the evaluator, I aske for his signature. He happily signed it, Roger Nelson FB#2.

I had wonderful opportunies to speak with Roger and learn from his insight. I also spent a lot of time with Rook. They both are great individuals that never came across that way. They have alsways seemed confident, yet humble.

I have since spoke with Roger over the phone, via email, and in person and he has always been helpful and inspirational. He has given me great advice and one of the influences in becoming a DZO.

Thanks Roger and STL.

To the families (skydiving and others), peace be with you, let his inpirations live on.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

This is just so weird and shocking...And I'm having trouble thinking of something appropriate to say. Its always sad to hear of someone dying, no matter how they died (i.e. skydiving or not). The world will certainly be a different place without Roger. I think I first met him when I was about 8 years old when my Dad was first learning to skydive, so in some small one way or another I've been influenced by him for over half my life.

My heart goes out to Roger's family and to the other jumper. I can only imagine what it would be like to lose my father the way Rook and Missy lost theirs. One of the greatest joys in my life is to spend time with my Dad skydiving. That's pretty much our Father-Daughter time and I would hate to have that taken away anytime soon...Please be careful out there.

See you in the sky...

What terrible news. :( I never had the pleasure of meeting Roger Nelson either, but I was shocked to hear this news. Despite never having met him in person, I am very familiar with his name and all that he has contributed to our skydiving community.

Something like this happening makes me really realize that we are all very much vulnerable in this sport :(

My condolences go out to all of his family and friends and everyone at Skydive Chicago.

BSBD.
Rhonda
PP ASEL