SkymonkeyONE

Blue Skies, Black Death (Roger Nelson)

Prayers and thoughts to Missy, Rook, Roger's family, friends, drop zone, all those he impacted directly and indirectly in our skydiving community.

I'm sure it will take Skydive Chicago a while to restructure, but I am confident they will remain a viable force in the skydiving industry in his memory.

Also prayers to the other involved skydiver. He/she will need our community support as well.

At Skydive Chicago, a woman answered the phone Saturday night.

"Skydive Chicago," she said. "Are you calling about your first jump?"

Not wishing to sound morbid, but that is what i would expect,
Life goes on. [:/]

absolutely... how would they expect them to answer.... "sorry, someone just died do we're not taking calls right now". ???

fucking yellow-press bullshit rag.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Also prayers to the other involved skydiver. He/she will need our community support as well.

An excellent point Kate. Thanks for reminding us.

"Vibes" that the other jumper recovers from both his physical (and probable psychological) injuries quickly and gets back in the air soon...

Shock after shock keeps entering our world, what a loss. Roger was an innovator and most definitely one of this sports greatest characters. This is just another example of how even the mighty can fall and that non of us are bulletproof, another innovator, implementer & advocate of safe skydiving practices falls. Even with our guard constantly up we are never far from paying the ultimate price for our indulgence in this great sport, what a terrible, terrible loss.

Condolences to Missy & Rook and all Rogers family and friends on behalf of Tracey and myself and your skydiving family here in Delaware. We are stunned!

So sad!

Martin & Tracey.

[QUOTE]Vibes" that the other jumper recovers from both his physical (and probable psychological) injuries quickly and gets back in the air soon... [/QUOTE]

So the other jumper is alive? The report I read said they arn't disclose any information on him, I assume that could mean that he is either dead, seriously injured, or just fine. Where are you getting your information, just curious?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

> I am sad to inform you all that Roger Nelson, DZO of Skydive Chicago
> is dead. He was hit, head-on by another skydiver landing in the
> opposite direction at about 15 feet today and is now dead. My
> sincerest condolences so all his family, especially my friend and
> fellow pro swoop competitor, Rook.
>
> "It's better to burn out than fade away!"
>
> Chuck Blue
> D-12501
> Raeford Parachute Center
> Blue Skies,
> Jack

Does anybody have a full and correct report of what happened to cause this terrible tragedy and information regarding the condition of the other jumper involved. Please don't post speculation.

Thank you.

Blue Ones (a little greyer today) :-(
Stay Safe.

Martin
Blue ones,
Stay Safe.

Martin Evans.

For further information about Sky-Eye Skydiving Services & Skydive Delmarva please visit our websites:

http://www.skyeyeskydiving.com/

http://www.sk

So the other jumper is alive? The report I read said they arn't disclose any information on him, I assume that could mean that he is either dead, seriously injured, or just fine. Where are you getting your information, just curious?

The other jumper was treated at the hospital and released last night.

Many of us are Skydive Chicago family members. We were all on the phone with others until late last night. More phone calls will happen today. The information that is posted is coming directly from SDC.

Roger was very serious about safety and took every opportunity to make lessons out of mistakes. I'm sure that when the shock his death settles, an informative and educational reporting will come from SDC. Roger would find it terribly offensive if no one was able to study and learn from this event.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

OUR DEEPEST SYMPAHTHIES GO OUT TO ROOK, MISSY, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS. WE HAVE LOST A FANTASTIC EMBASSADOR AND LEADER. YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY BE MISSED!!!

GOD SPEED.

Kent Wood on behalf of the Malone Parachute Club.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

I am new to this sport...I only have 35 jumps. But those 35 jumps were, in no small way, inspired by Roger Nelson. I am thankful for the opportunity to have jumped with him a number of times, including my AFP Level 1 and my ceremonial Graduation Jump. He was an incredible man. Everything from his unwavering enthusiam for the sport to his deep spiritual conviction made him an irreplacable icon in the our tight community. I will continue to jump at SDC. And before every jump I will remember the directive that Roger would tell every newbie--"Relax your shoulders".

My heart goes out to his beloved children Rook and Missy. May God give them strength through these sad times.

Rob Green

What's happening this year? :(

Condolences to everyone involved. I was just thinking how great it would be to visit SDC:(

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

[:/]I just learned of this news... I have to say that I did not have the chance to know Roger for a long time, but in the time I did know him he has shown me a few things that I will never forget.

The first was a true understanding of the sport, "people do not come to SDC for the skydiving, the thrill only lasts a few seconds, people come to skydive at SDC for the family, for the feeling of being with people you can trust and love, for the companionship.

The 2nd thing that Roger has shown me was to always "spread the love" by that I mean, to live your life without regret or fear, to take each and every opportunity you have to smile and use it wisely. I believe that roger knew something most don't, He understood the true reason we are all here, that is to share the love in your heart with others in your life.

I wish Missy and Rook all the support in the world. We all now have an angel above to watch over us for eternity.
-Stevie
"I don't fear the man who wants 10 nuclear weapons, I'm terrified of the man who only wants one..."

:( My sincerest condolences to the Nelson family. Rook and Missy peace be unto you in your grief.

I honestly feel sadness and regret when I hear of fellow jumper passing but I'm close to tears on hearing about Rodger's passing. having met and jumped with him and having experienced his wonderful passion for this sport, you could see it in his eyes and hear in his voice.

Blue Skies Black Death...

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

This is a very, very sad day. Roger is skydiving. I first met Roger at the Richmond boogie years ago, hanging out around the bonfire having a blast. I met someone who submersed his life in his passion, and was giving his tremendous passion to the sport and to each of us. I can't even imagine where skydiving would be without him. I was always happy to see Roger at the Richmond boogie and the many times I visited SDC. His love built that dropzone, and that dropzone built a world of love. I am so grateful to him, Rook and Missy for what they have shared with me in the times I've spent with them. My sincerest condolences go out to Rook, Missy and everyone who is close to Roger. His contributions to the sport are timeless. He is a humble hero. The Richmond locals gave a toast and heartfelt "HIM..." in tribute to Roger last night, one that I'm sure is echoing around the world.

Thank you Roger. Thank you for spreading your love.

peace
http://www.exitshot.com