This is hard to accept.

I've known Roger since he was a skinny young
guy with a couple hundred jumps, and a lot of
ideas and energy.

I wore that half circle freak brother patch on the
pop top of my SST for years.

This is hard to take.

Skratch

I don't know what to say. To loose a person who has been this influential in the skydiving industry is such a shame. Such a powerful and wonderful figure in our industry. My prayers are will all of his family and friends.
Blue Skies!
Mary B
Sandillas Rodriguez
Muff Brother #2959 TF #77

Roger's brought a lot to skydiving. A whole lot. I'm sorry he's gone, and I'm glad he was here.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A Living Icon has become a Shining Spirit. I bet Holly is giving him one of her bear hugs. :)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Definately a sad day in the sport of skydiving! An innovator, a leader, a teacher and a legend has left us today and my prayers and thoughts go out to Missy and Rook. As well as all of those he has touched during his lifetime. His friends, his students, his family.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I now have "November Rain" playing at maximum volume on my surround sound in my RV.

That GNR tune always evoked a both the feelings of morosity and that shivering-up-the-neck feeling that makes you know there is "something" to this folly we call life (it's on my MP3 right now as a mater of fact).

I never met Roger. As a skidiver though, I still feel the disturbance in the Force. Moments like this make me wonder who has been looking after me during my various fuckups and near misses in the air. It can't be just me, and it sounds like those of us still relying on wingsuits and parachutes to fly have a stronger Force guiding us with the addition of Roger. Ours is not to reason why...

BSBD.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I love you guys missy and Rook...
Roger is with god.
What talks they will have...
I will never forget what he has meant to me.
He was an incredable man.
I love you Roger Thanks for all my dreams come True...
Tom Startz
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

From www.skydivechicago.com, about Roger Nelson:

• United States Parachute Associate (USPA) National Director
• USPA Safety & Training Advisor
• Tandem Master Examiner
• Tandem, AFF/AFP and Static Line Instructor
• Multi-Engine, Commercial 11,000-Hour Pilot
• Six (6) World Records (Relative Work Formations)
• US National Gold, Silver and Bronze Medallist,
• 1999 & 2002 Gold Medallist,
• 2000/2001 Silver Medallist
• Atmosphere Dolphin "A" Freefly License #300
• "BASE" jumper
• Accuracy and High Performance Canopy Flight Instructor
• Leading Author, Lecturer
• World Record Organizer From 1978 to 2000
• Equipment and Training Innovator

He had over 9,000 jumps. It's hard to believe he is no longer with us... :( Blue Skies!

My wife and I would like to dedicate the birth of our son "Ethan Hunter" to the memory of Roger.

Although I never met him I feel a horrible loss.

As our son is born we will both say a prayer for Roger and family. While we mourn the passing of one great human being we will be celebrating the birth of another reminding us how precious life really is.

In memory of Roger... Blue skies...

Rhino and Wife

Blues, -- and Black-
A man who truly lived bravely.
My most sincere condolences to the family, all his friends, the community as a whole- His presence will be sorely messed, but the again perhpas it will be felt in a different way on the next jump we all make.

It is a sad evening.

Easy Does It

Blue ones...

Never had the privelege of meeting him, but I know that this is an incredible loss for our sport. My thoughts are with his family. :(

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

i WAS JUST WOKE UP WITH A PHONE CALL ABOUT THE PASSING OF A DEAR FRIEND, MENTOR, LEADER, BROTHER AND VISIONARY. i AM BLESS TO HAVE ROGER, ROOK, MISSY, AND THE SDC FAMILY AS MY HOME DZ AND THE ONLY PLACE I EVER JUMPED.

WORDS CAN NOT EXPRESS THE LOSS OF ROGER.
HE IS WITH THE LORD WHO HE SPOKE OF ALWAYS.

PEACE MY FRIEND.

TIM RYAN

For the SDC locals... There will be a impromptu memorial service Sunday morning at 8am here at Skydive Chicago.

Also SkymonkeyONE your facts on how the incident occured are way off from the actual events. Perhaps SDC will post an official statement later this week.