jackwallace

Tell me I'm wrong

>It represents the heritage of the South and not slavery.

You become angry when people disrespect the American flag - but fly a different one in its place, a flag that represents a government that tried to destroy America. And that's OK because heritage, and because it scares people. And because the spirit of the enemies of America are stronger than America.

OK then.

I feel really sad about the whole US political gong show. It's so unsettling to know that people actually support what Trump is saying and doing. I thought Bush was bad, but he now looks so tame compared to what is going on now.

I can't believe what he gets away with. His Tweets alone are enough to make me sick. It honestly sounds like a disgruntled teenager trying to show how tough he is by name calling and lashing out.

It boggles the mind how he is in power and this is all continuing.

I would compare it to flying a pennant of your favorite football team but that is now a despicable analogy. It is more like wearing the emblem of a military unit you served with. Or better still, the emblem of the Patriot Guard Riders.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

No, I do not. However, I have been to Civil War reenactments where the Southern actors sang and danced and had a good time. I have never been to any gathering of any sort where the Nazi flag was flown.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I would compare it to flying a pennant of your favorite football team but that is now a despicable analogy. It is more like wearing the emblem of a military unit you served with.

If that military unit is from a foreign country and killed hundreds of thousands of US soldiers.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Ron, the only reason it's ok is because white southerners had such a disproportionate share of power during the Jim Crow years that it became a cultural thing.

Imagine the reaction if a group of German-Americans were to fly the Nazi flag because it represented their trying to rebuild a national identity after the devastating sanctions after WW1.

The Civil War ended over 150 years ago. The primary causes were states' rights and economic issues, but that's all conflated with an economic system that was dependent on slave labor, and the legal protection of the property rights of slaveholders. It's disingenuous to say that slavery was not the reason.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

******Like I said, I don't know anyone who waves a Nazi flag.

How about people who wave the Confederate Flag?

Absolutely I do. There is a saying in the mountains, "The best home security is to fly the Confederate Flag in your front yard."

It represents the heritage of the South and not slavery. We lost that fight and we know it. However, the Spirit of the South is stronger than that. It is directly linked to the Spirit of America.

You do understand that the Confederate flag all but disappeared after the Civil War, right?

It faded into history, where it belongs.

Until the 20th century, when it became popular again.

The KKK was primarily responsible for bringing it back to prominence.

So your "Spirit of the South" is the KKK.

Got it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

************Like I said, I don't know anyone who waves a Nazi flag.

How about people who wave the Confederate Flag?

Absolutely I do. There is a saying in the mountains, "The best home security is to fly the Confederate Flag in your front yard."

It represents the heritage of the South and not slavery. We lost that fight and we know it. However, the Spirit of the South is stronger than that. It is directly linked to the Spirit of America.

The heritage of the south IS slavery. You only have to read the "Cornerstone Speech" and the declarations of secession to know that.

NO, it is about people and I deal with people.

You are right. It is indeed about people. It is about white people and how they are superior to black people.

Not that it makes any difference here but, the KKK was the enforcement arm of the Democrat Party. I have never affiliated with the Democrats. Most of my friends, if fact most of GA, voted Republican for Donald Trump and conservative values.

Carry on.

SkyDekker

You are right. It is indeed about people. It is about white people and how they are superior to black people.

How do you think we are superior?

RonD1120

***You are right. It is indeed about people. It is about white people and how they are superior to black people.

How do you think we are superior?

Easy. God finds us more "delightsome".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RonD1120

Not that it makes any difference here but, the KKK was the enforcement arm of the Democrat Party. I have never affiliated with the Democrats. Most of my friends, if fact most of GA, voted Republican for Donald Trump and conservative values.

Carry on.

While there is some truth to that claim, you conveniently forget that, at the time, the Democrats were the conservative party, wanting to keep the status quo. The Republicans were the liberals, wanting to do heretical things like free the slaves, give rights to black people and treat them equally, that sort of thing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

I know more atheists with good hearts and concern for others than the so called christians I know. The christians are full of judgment, self righteousness, and hatred.

IMO judgment, self righteousness, and hatred are shared equally by those who believe in any god and those that don't.

The indifference that the world has today for the Rohingya, for Kurds,etc. is no different. The Pope, Islamic leaders have said nothing just as few voiced concerns. When ethnic cleansing, hatred, prosecuted religions and skin color before.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41420973

grimmie

I think it is the same America, with the same issues, however we now have some seriously deranged people on TV and radio 24/7 skewing the sane perspective.

And a deranged man in the WH that has no idea what being a president i about.

I think Americans used to have to form their own opinions about things, now media forms it for some of them.

With all of the info on the internet, we have seriously lowered the collective IQ of the nation.

I concur

I just finished Episode 6 of "The Vietnam War." It covered Jan - Jul 1966. As it refreshed my memory I do not believe our current civil unrest is as bad now as it was then.