jackwallace

Tell me I'm wrong

I've been around for 11 presidents if I count correctly. Some good, some blah, some kind of mistakes. I don't remember the country being so full of hate, like it is now.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I have never in my life seen one President actively try to destroy the country in so many ways; edging toward nuclear war, edging toward civil war, actively trying to destroy environmental protections, actively trying to destroy healthcare.

It is amazing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

DanG

I wasn't alive (or at least aware) during the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. Do you think things are worse now than they were then?

Yes, and it seems to me that it started early in 2009 and has been growing worse since.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Yes, and it seems to me that it started early in 2009 and has been growing worse since.

Says everything about your personal perspective. 11 presidents
-a couple wars
-several recessions
-end of cold war
-collapse of Soviet Union
- 9/11
and this is the turning point from your point of view. That Obama's legislation changed the US internal perspective to one of hate and division.

DanG

I wasn't alive (or at least aware) during the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. Do you think things are worse now than they were then?

The Vietnam War era is probably a good comparison.

I was born in 65, so I don't have much memory of the late 60s, but I was a curious little kid and started watching the news at maybe 5 or so (hey, they had film of firetrucks and other interesting stuff).

I remember the fall of Saigon and the chaos. I remember the protests and Kent State (my mom went there, so she was deeply upset by it).

The country was deeply divided and troubled.

Interestingly, PBS is running the Ken Burns/Lynn Novick. It is amazing (not surprising from Ken Burns).

The parallels between the different times are not terribly close, but the divisions are very similar.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***I wasn't alive (or at least aware) during the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. Do you think things are worse now than they were then?

The Vietnam War era is probably a good comparison.

I was born in 65, so I don't have much memory of the late 60s, but I was a curious little kid and started watching the news at maybe 5 or so (hey, they had film of firetrucks and other interesting stuff).

I remember the fall of Saigon and the chaos. I remember the protests and Kent State (my mom went there, so she was deeply upset by it).

The country was deeply divided and troubled.

Interestingly, PBS is running the Ken Burns/Lynn Novick. It is amazing (not surprising from Ken Burns).

The parallels between the different times are not terribly close, but the divisions are very similar.

The Johnson administration taught us to distrust the government. Even with the war protests and civil rights issues I still generally had hope for the nation.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

A lot of hate going on in the summer of 1967 when we had "159 race riots that swept cities in the United States".

wiki article here

I hope we can find a way to come together before it gets this bad again.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

normiss

I've always liked your outlook on life and hope for everyone Rick.
Well, except for the stuff we are in full disagreement over.
:D:D:D

It is interesting that with our similar upbringings and military service how differently we look at some issues. Not that that ever stops us from drinking beer together my friend.

I didn't mean this to be political. Its too easy to explain it that way. I only used the presidents as a time line.
I see just general anger. People waiting in line at the grocery store, driving, sitting in the movies. I don't hear poeple laughing in public, I use to.
People seem to be angry with everything. The rich, famous, politicians, and its made them angry with each other.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I don't see that here in our area. People in general seem to get along (except the occasional road rage idiots). I live in a pretty diversified city and especially after this last natural disaster I see a lot of neighbors helping neighbors.

DanG

-------------------------------------------------------

No!
America had tremendous turmoil during the 1960s and 1970s.

RonD1120

***I wasn't alive (or at least aware) during the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. Do you think things are worse now than they were then?

Yes, electing uppity n***ers who don't know their place is sure to cause problems.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Johnson administration taught us to distrust the government. Even with the war protests and civil rights issues I still generally had hope for the nation.

I hoped the civil rights movement would go further. I'm still disappointed that the war stopped 20,000 lives later than it could have.
At the time, I thought the country might be on the verge of some kind of rebellion with the passionate liberals rising up against the complacent conservatives. It never happened with Nixon as POTUS and things seemed to work out and settle back down. Today we have much more passion on both sides and it feels like we're just waiting for the spark to set it off. There are several quotes to the effect that the United States will never be conquered from any outside enemy but we will destroy ourselves from the inside.

Maybe if we could find one thing to agree on. Any one thing. No matter how small. And then find one other thing. And another. Perhaps we would find we have more things to agree on than disagree.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

Maybe if we could find one thing to agree on. Any one thing. No matter how small. And then find one other thing. And another. Perhaps we would find we have more things to agree on than disagree.

The problem is that the "one thing" is usually an enemy.

Like Iraq or Afghanistan.

Or North Korea.

I can only hope that the I/C finds indictable, impeachable offenses committed by the "Distracter In Chief".

He can't pardon himself from impeachable offenses.

That won't unify or unite us, but it would remove the most divisive force currently holding any real power.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jackwallace

I've been around for 11 presidents if I count correctly. Some good, some blah, some kind of mistakes. I don't remember the country being so full of hate, like it is now.

No what you don't remember is it being televised and shoved down your throat every where you turn.

If you step away from the the tv and social media, people are still the same people as they were 100 years ago, same level of hate,bigotry, love, understanding and disagreements .
Human nature is a lot easier to manipulate with a constant onslaught of media suggestions

DanG

I can remember that time; Watts Riot, War protests, it was pretty bad.
People started thinking the only way to fix things were to blow them up.
It was more young vs old, and less racial, at least on the young side.
I was on that side, and remember thinking if we could prevail it would be a better world, with less emphasis on profit and production. More cooperation and love.
The other side didn't want to change anything. Their attitude was simple: Love it or leave it.

I thought once they died off it really would be a better world, but they never did. Their spawn is even worse.

Same old same old. Freedom is a one way street. Anything they don't like is a horrible affront to humanity and must be stopped at all cost.
They must be free to dictate the sex life of others. The USA must be free to impose its will on the rest of the world. They will decide what health care is appropriate for women. Freedom of religion means you can go to any church they approve of. Law and order should be free to have their way with the 'wrong' people. Now, Trump should be free to make america great for them.

Some think the country has gone to hell since they had gay marriage 'forced' on them. They should be free to prevent people that they don't even know from doing what they want.
They should be forced to marry a man, just to show them what true freedom isn't.

No, things aren't as bad, yet, but we are on a bad road to a worse place, and a maniac is driving the bus. Give it time.
But what do I know?