nolhtairt

Biblical prophecy or weird coincidence?

How much do you know about statistics and specifically random chance?

Random events specifically do NOT happen at regular intervals (otherwise they would not be random). With that in mind, there will be streaks of non-events and streaks of events which are bunched closer together. It specifically won't be smooth, but lumpy.

We see this same sort of thing in the deaths of celebrities or skydivers.

The eclipse has nothing to do with it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Uhh.... Don't confuse God's plan with random chance. Even Einstein knew that She does not play dice with the universe.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Uhh.... Don't confuse God's plan with random chance. Even Einstein knew that She does not play dice with the universe.

I really wish Einstein had lived at a time where he didn't have to invoke "god" to make a point. I can't believe for a second Einstein actually believed in "god." I do believe he only invoked "god" to make points and make himself somewhat more emotionally acceptable.
quade -

If you want me to believe it's a real prophecy, predict it beforehand.

Don't fit the happenings to a couple of passages in a book after the fact and try to sell it.

Not "one helluva coincidence", just random chance.

Unfortunately, South Park has gone to Hulu, so it's behind a paywall.

When Cartman "explained" all of the prophecies that predicted the Sept 11, 2001 attacks, he did the exact same thing.
The scene is pretty funny.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quade

I really wish Einstein had lived at a time where he didn't have to invoke "god" to make a point. I can't believe for a second Einstein actually believed in "god." I do believe he only invoked "god" to make points and make himself somewhat more emotionally acceptable.

Well it seems he did, perhaps not in the traditional and religious sense.

“I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist. … I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being,” the scientist wrote, AP reported.

And as far as that bible verse, I'm sure that could be said for a lot of points in history where there was a full moon or eclipse, and a major storm. The moon heavily effects the tide, obviously

Coincidence and not even that weird.

You can do the same thing with Lottery winning numbers, sports scores, temperatures on consecutive days or number of airplanes taking off from Florida right now. With any set of three numbers you can find something in the Bible (or Koran, or New York Times) that seems related to _something_.

pterodactyl1986

Well it seems he did, perhaps not in the traditional and religious sense.

“I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist. … I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being,” the scientist wrote, AP reported.

Reread what he's talking about. Does that sound like a man who believes in a being that created the universe or . . . a guy who's talking about "god" in a purely metaphorical sense?
quade -

Come on now. Anecdotal evidence clearly points to the existence of an omnipotent God. There can be no other explanation. She cannot be denied any longer!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

nolhtairt

The solar eclipse was on the 21st.

Hurricane Harvey showed up on the 25th and started flooding on the 26th.

Now look at the bible verse numbers and content.

If it's not a prophecy, it's one helluva coincidence.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2021:25-26

Little know fact, that Luke is a pen name -- real name was Harvey.

kallend

THIS is clear evidence that God is punishing Florida (and Texas) for the 65 electoral college votes they gave Trump.

LOL, you are a typical liberal trash bucket to make that kind of statement. Just saying. Plenty of liberals in both states too. Although Texas is a strong conservative state, large cities tend to be full of liberals, and Houston got walloped.

quade

***Well it seems he did, perhaps not in the traditional and religious sense.

Reread what he's talking about. Does that sound like a man who believes in a being that created the universe or . . . a guy who's talking about "god" in a purely metaphorical sense?

I've read about him quite a bit over the years, as I said he does not believe in god in a traditional sense. You may not even call it God or a higher power,depending on your interpretation. But it is very clear that he believes in some sort of governing force in the universe

pterodactyl1986

******Well it seems he did, perhaps not in the traditional and religious sense.

I've read about him quite a bit over the years, as I said he does not believe in god in a traditional sense. You may not even call it God or a higher power,depending on your interpretation. But it is very clear that he believes in some sort of governing force in the universe

Yes. Physics.
quade -

Not to you; to the person referenced in the post title line.
You're going to have to try harder :P:)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

nolhtairt

THIS is clear evidence that God is punishing Florida (and Texas) for the 65 electoral college votes they gave Trump.

LOL, you are a typical liberal trash bucket to make that kind of statement. Just saying. Plenty of liberals in both states too. Although Texas is a strong conservative state, large cities tend to be full of liberals, and Houston got walloped.

How many EC votes did Houston cast?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

pterodactyl1986

***And your one warning.

Is this in reference to me?
No, it was to the person that called a "certain someone" a "liberal trash bucket."

You can't call a "certain someone" a "liberal trash bucket," but you can say that the majority of that "certain someone's" senile troll posts belong in a "liberal trash bucket."

It's kind of like racism. Veiled racism does the most damage, but nobody says anything because it can't really be proven. But get a couple guys in pointed hoods marching with torches around statues, then all hell breaks loose.

Same thing with PAs. Veiled PAs are cowardly, but clever. They do the most damage. Everyone sees it, but it can't really be proven as a direct PA, so the victim is left without recourse.

Call someone a "motherfucker" - which essentially has the same effect of saying "your mama," - then you might be subject to a permaban, even if it's in response to the more malicious veiled PA.

Call someone a "motherfucker" - which essentially has the same effect of saying "your mama," - then you might be subject to a permaban, even if it's in response to the more malicious veiled PA.

Not that it really matters when you can come back with an endless succession of sockpuppets.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I deeply distrust people who "invent" explanations after a calamity.

Einstein may have invoked God to emphasis his points ....... But even Einstein did not fully understand the "big picture." Even his "Universal Theory" was incomplete when Einstein died. Modern scientists continue struggling to prove Einstein's Universal Theory.

Back in the good-old-days religious books contained the best-available scientific explanation of events. Note how many religions included astronomical observatories in their temples (Stone Henge, Maya pyramids, Inca temples, etc.). When they ran out of scientific explanations, ancient scholars inserted "God in the gaps."

Consider how busy the average peasant is with their day-to-day lives: raising chickens, raising wheat, raising children, trying to store enough food to survive next winter. Few peasants ever had the intellectual capacity to ponder big questions, so they depended upon parish priests to explain the big picture. IOW the average peasant just wants a quick, simplified explanation and that is what organized religion provides.