nolhtairt

Biblical prophecy or weird coincidence?

nolhtairt

The solar eclipse was on the 21st.
Hurricane Harvey showed up on the 25th and started flooding on the 26th.
Now look at the bible verse numbers and content.
If it's not a prophecy, it's one helluva coincidence.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2021:25-26

It would be strange if there were no eclipses and the flooding came days before a hurricane ;-) Or even stranger would be if 26 came before 25.
Take care,
space

kallend

THIS is clear evidence that God is punishing Florida (and Texas) for the 65 electoral college votes they gave Trump.

LOL, you are a typical liberal trash bucket to make that kind of statement. Just saying. Plenty of liberals in both states too. Although Texas is a strong conservative state, large cities tend to be full of liberals, and Houston got walloped.

How many EC votes did Houston cast?

Who cares? Trump won. Hillary lost. Get over it.

riggerrob

I deeply distrust people who "invent" explanations after a calamity.

Einstein may have invoked God to emphasis his points ....... But even Einstein did not fully understand the "big picture." Even his "Universal Theory" was incomplete when Einstein died. Modern scientists continue struggling to prove Einstein's Universal Theory.

Back in the good-old-days religious books contained the best-available scientific explanation of events. Note how many religions included astronomical observatories in their temples (Stone Henge, Maya pyramids, Inca temples, etc.). When they ran out of scientific explanations, ancient scholars inserted "God in the gaps."

Consider how busy the average peasant is with their day-to-day lives: raising chickens, raising wheat, raising children, trying to store enough food to survive next winter. Few peasants ever had the intellectual capacity to ponder big questions, so they depended upon parish priests to explain the big picture. IOW the average peasant just wants a quick, simplified explanation and that is what organized religion provides.

The true mark of genius is recognizing his or her own ignorance. And acknowledging that the more they know, the more they have to discover. Forever a student of life if you will

I will say this about religion, in particular Muslims. In the Koran there are many things science related things quoted. 100's of years before modern science could confirm, and many have turned out to be alarmingly true.
The Arabs in particular were way ahead of their time

>I will say this about religion, in particular Muslims. In the Koran there are many
>things science related things quoted. 100's of years before modern science could
>confirm, and many have turned out to be alarmingly true.

That's nonsense. That's like claiming the Bible accurately predicted 9/11 and the AIDS epidemic. (Which, of course, people have claimed.)

>The Arabs in particular were way ahead of their time

Definitely agreed there - but that was due to their work in astronomy, basic science and math, not in religious prophecy.

I'm not referring to predictions, Nastradamus style.

I'm referring to things they knew about human reproduction (trimesters), iron and other metals, the relative depth of the ocean, the protecting aspect of the ozone, etc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_attitudes_towards_science

I think Alchemy was probably the most interesting (not the pursuit of changing lead to gold, but rather basic chemistry) and helped advance civilization.

I am not Muslim. I was raised catholic but lean more towards a Buddhist approach towards life. I believe in a higher power, but I don't believe it explains everything.

Personally I believe there is a lost link to civilization somewhere, or maybe it has been destroyed.
Until someone can replicate building 1 large pyramid, I will continue this belief. I have not seen one logical explanation for the pyramids around the world come from science or religion. (also the fact that if you map them out they make quite a geometrical grid)
People that use religion to explain everything irk my soul (if you believe in that lol) and for this reason I almost always avoid religious conversations

....... I am not Muslim. I was raised catholic but lean more towards a Buddhist approach towards life. I believe in a higher power, but I don't believe it explains everything. ........

Personally I believe there is a lost link to civilization somewhere, or maybe it has been destroyed.
.....................................................................................

I believe that the link was destroyed.

Every new religion feels compelled to convert everyone else to their beliefs.
Some religions convert with love. (Jesus Christ's version of Judaism)
Some religions convert with fear (Roman Catholicism)
Some religions convert with the sword. (ISIS, ISIL, daesh)
Some religions covert with fire. (burning the Library at Alexandria)
Some religions destroy all traces of previous religions (Spanish Inquisition).

Personally, I never learned how to submit to bullies. Show me the 'advantage' of your religion .....

pterodactyl1986

Until someone can replicate building 1 large pyramid, I will continue this belief. I have not seen one logical explanation for the pyramids around the world come from science or religion.

To quote the classic UK TV Show "Red Dwarf':

Rimmer: "But how did they build such massive, massive pyramids?"
Lister: "Whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips."

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

riggerrob

....... I am not Muslim. I was raised catholic but lean more towards a Buddhist approach towards life. I believe in a higher power, but I don't believe it explains everything. ........

.....................................................................................

I believe that the link was destroyed.

Every new religion feels compelled to convert everyone else to their beliefs.
Some religions convert with love. (Jesus Christ's version of Judaism)
Some religions convert with fear (Roman Catholicism)
Some religions convert with the sword. (ISIS, ISIL, daesh)
Some religions covert with fire. (burning the Library at Alexandria)
Some religions destroy all traces of previous religions (Spanish Inquisition).

Personally, I never learned how to submit to bullies. Show me the 'advantage' of your religion .....

Some religions convert with greed (Prosperity gospel fundamentalism).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

riggerrob

Perhaps this is why I lean towards Buddhism, they don't consider them selves a religion technically but a way of life. And a lot of it is applicable to every day situations

And you are correct about every religion trying to convert people. My cousin just became a Born Again, man I thought Jehovah Witnesses were bad lol

pterodactyl1986

I will say this about religion, in particular Muslims. In the Koran there are many things science related things quoted. 100's of years before modern science could confirm, and many have turned out to be alarmingly true.
The Arabs in particular were way ahead of their time

If you said "Christians," "in the Bible" rather than "Muslims," "in the Koran," you would've been met with at least a half-dozen posters here calling bullshit and asking you to provide specific examples.

And I would've watched on as they rightfully tore apart every example that you gave.

Faith isn't about science, nor logic. Anyone using it as such deserves what they get.

pterodactyl1986

Perhaps this is why I lean towards Buddhism, they don't consider them selves a religion technically but a way of life. And a lot of it is applicable to every day situations

The same thing can be said of Christianity, but let's face it - it all comes down to the fact that there are good and bad people regardless of your world view, that's all. Good Christians, bad Christians, Good Atheists(Nordic), bad Atheists (Soviets, Albanians)

Good Muslims(sunnis), bad Muslims(Shiite):D JK.

Even within your beloved realm of Buddhism. Is it good to burn yourself alive in the public square, or selfishly retreat to the Holy mountains of Tibet when your people need you most?

pterodactyl1986

And you are correct about every religion trying to convert people.

When people experience something good in their lives, it's only human that they want to share it and pass that experience along.

Even Atheists want everyone to conform to their mindset, their logic. They want everyone to be confined to limits of science.

There are a lot of legitimate issues with climate change, but they get lost in all the lies and exaggerations, and people get turned off, much like with Christianity. But that's why alarmists are so much worse in a sense. At least Christianity positions itself as faith, while the lies and exaggerations of alarmists are positioned as logic and objective fact.

pterodactyl1986

My cousin just became a Born Again, man I thought Jehovah Witnesses were bad lol

I'm excited for him! It's exciting, what a journey!
Many may not agree with me, but the meaning of life is about self sacrifice. Sacrificing yourself, your dreams, your desires, your life for another. Christianity is a means by which you can find joy in the midst of that sacrifice.

I haven't found anything that's come close to it.

Amen.

CornishChris

To quote the classic UK TV Show "Red Dwarf':

Rimmer: "But how did they build such massive, massive pyramids?"
Lister: "Whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips."

Uhmm, well, that´s not quite true to a 100%.
the whip-swinging man, forcing the jewish slaves to work on the pyramids is, due to scientists, a picture coming from hollywood.
Keep in mind, that for example the gizeh pyramid was built around 2620 till 2500 b.C. ...
the exodus of the israelites took place under Merenptha, the successor of RamsesII, around 1220 b.C., this was also the first time outside the bible , where the phrase "Israel" was published.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merneptah_Stele

in fact, the -usually poor- egyptian workers did their job because it gave a salary, food and drinks, but most of all: they wanted to honor their pharao. the workers were poor, indeed, but with that work they received public honor as well as money and food. if they died at the scene, they had the privilege to be buried next to the pyramid and their loved pharao as well.

But to be true, the technical construction of pyramids and their buildings are still not clear how it was done in detail.
Unfortunately, Alexander the Great has destroyed almost all the collected informations of the ancient egypt scientists 400 b.C., the rest of the saved books were destroyed as the great library of Alexandria vanished somehow (still not clear how or when).

;)
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well