airdvr

Hurricane Irma and Climate Change

Marc has found another denier:

Bastardi states that carbon dioxide cannot cause global warming because this would violate the first law of thermodynamics, a misunderstanding of that gas's role in causing warming. He has further explained:
CO2 cannot cause global warming. I'll tell you why. It doesn't mix well with the atmosphere, for one. For two, its specific gravity is 1 1/2 times that of the rest of the atmosphere. It heats and cools much quicker. Its radiative processes are much different. So it cannot -- it literally cannot cause global warming. --- Joe Bastardi, Fox Business, March 9, 2012.

Physicist Richard A. Muller states that Bastardi's explanation of CO2 is "completely wrong" and "even skeptics of global warming, if they know physics, would disagree with him."

Clearly a set that doesn't include Marc.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

gowlerk

How does the sentiment "we're so happy some other people got fucked up instead of us because the supreme overlord of the universe decided we were more deserving than them" not bring to mind a narcissistic sociopath?

It goes right along with thanking the Lady for helping us win the football game. Obviously She prefers us over them.

The sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area.

The latest denier crying "hurricanes are FAKE NEWS!" - Ann Coulter.

"Hurricane update from Miami: Light rain; residents at risk of dying from boredom"

"I wish cables would mention the hurricane. There is a decidedly heavier-than-average morning dew in Miami; Palm Beach bordering on breezy."

billvon

The latest denier crying "hurricanes are FAKE NEWS!" - Ann Coulter.

"Hurricane update from Miami: Light rain; residents at risk of dying from boredom"

"I wish cables would mention the hurricane. There is a decidedly heavier-than-average morning dew in Miami; Palm Beach bordering on breezy."

I have no idea what she said but, knowing the media, and your ability to spin, I doubt it is anything close to what you are implying.

Just sayin....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***The latest denier crying "hurricanes are FAKE NEWS!" - Ann Coulter.

I have no idea what she said but, knowing the media, and your ability to spin, I doubt it is anything close to what you are implying.

Just sayin....

Here's the comments: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/white-house-chief-of-staff-john-kelly-blisters-ann-coulter-for-joking-about-hurricane-irma-victims-dying/

More coverage of idiots making political or religious claims about weather: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/did-lesbians-cause-hurricanes-irma-and-harvey-god-knows/2017/09/08/638efbca-94bf-11e7-89fa-bb822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.f2d8ebe95858

To include Coulter's comment of: “I don’t believe Hurricane Harvey is God’s punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor,” she tweeted. “But that is more credible than ‘climate change.’ ”
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

******The latest denier crying "hurricanes are FAKE NEWS!" - Ann Coulter.

Just sayin....

Here's the comments: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/white-house-chief-of-staff-john-kelly-blisters-ann-coulter-for-joking-about-hurricane-irma-victims-dying/

More coverage of idiots making political or religious claims about weather: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/did-lesbians-cause-hurricanes-irma-and-harvey-god-knows/2017/09/08/638efbca-94bf-11e7-89fa-bb822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.f2d8ebe95858

To include Coulter's comment of: “I don’t believe Hurricane Harvey is God’s punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor,” she tweeted. “But that is more credible than ‘climate change.’ ”

Like Limbaugh,Bannon, Evangelical TV pastors, Coulter makes a living selling a product. Herself.

Like Limbaugh,Bannon, Evangelical TV pastors, Coulter makes a living selling a product. Herself.

It's unfortunate that they're even relevant to the new cycle.

I feel like we've moved back to the 1950's with cigarette companies trying to convince people that their product doesn't cause cancer. 4 out of 5 doctors prefer XYZ!

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
You have to be pretty smart to work at NASA and most of us aren't PhD level scientists who have spent their entire career on a topic.

What if your last name was Booth and you spent your career designing and testing rigs. Is it likely that a newbie with 5 minutes on google is going to successfully "educate" you about the safety of your design? Climate is many times more difficult to understand. The common person needs more than a few hundred hours to even understand some of the items involved.

Melting polar ice? That isn't a hoax. Can people deny that? I remember the ozone hole in the 1980's when they banned CFCs. Only recently has the ozone recovered to the point it was when they said holy crap and did something about ozone depleting substances. It can take generations to even slow a change we started. Stuff is happening and you can only wear blinders so long.

-Michael

Melting polar ice? That isn't a hoax. Can people deny that?

When I first moved back to the States in 2009 I was out on a drilling rig testing some new equipment and I'll never forget overhearing a conversation between two roughnecks where one of them said: "The polar ice caps grew 33% last year, Al Gore's a fucking idiot" just before he spit out his dip and proceeded to complain about how 2 of his 3 kids' mothers were bitching at him for child support. People like that guy exist, in the millions, and they vote.
I got nuthin

billvon

>I have no idea what she said

Ah. So you did not read my post.

Carry on guessing then.

Its time to give rushmc a timeout. The Pope has condemned him.

Hurricane Irma: Pope Francis condemns climate change sceptics
Pope Francis, who is returning from a five day trip to Colombia, has no such doubts. He fears the impact of climate change will be hardest on the world's poorest residents, and has been openly critical of those who do not play their part in reducing its effects - including Mr Trump.

His most recent comments could also be seen as a thinly veiled dig at the president.

"If we don't go back we will go down," he warned reporters on Monday. "That is true. You can see the effects of climate change with your own eyes and scientists tell us clearly the way forward.

"All of us have a responsibility. All of us. Some small, some big. A moral responsibility, to accept opinions, or make decisions. I think it is not something to joke about."

He then quoted a phrase from the Old Testament: "Man is stupid, a stubborn, blind man."

"Those who deny it (climate change) should go to the scientists and ask them," the Pope said. "They are very clear, very precise."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41231288

Overall I don't think it helps to shout "climate change" in the middle of a natural disaster, plenty of time for that afterwards. There's no argument against the fact that air temperatures in the Sahara Desert, Water Temps across the Atlantic and water levels on the coasts have a profound effect on the severity and frequency of hurricanes but for now let's focus on the relief efforts.

>What if your last name was Booth and you spent your career designing and testing rigs.
>Is it likely that a newbie with 5 minutes on google is going to successfully "educate" you
>about the safety of your design?

If your job depends on people having shitty rigs? You can bet they are going to try their very best to deny there's a problem with Capewells, pack opening bands and cone-and-pin rigs. And even if there is a problem, better rigs can't fix the problems. And even if they can, you're going to die anyway, so why bother?

>Melting polar ice? That isn't a hoax. Can people deny that?

Of course they can. From a post by RushMC from less than a year ago:

"Global average temperatures over land have plummeted by more than 1C since the middle of this year – their biggest and steepest fall on record . . . [scientists] have argued that the records were caused by El Nino, a complex natural phenomenon that takes place every few years, and has nothing to do with greenhouse gas emissions by humans."

"Sea ice in the Antarctic has increased slightly over the past 30 years . . ."

billvon

- Ann Coulter.

"There is a decidedly heavier-than-average morning dew in Miami; Palm Beach bordering on breezy."

That's just funny, lol.

I can sooo see Ann and her boyfriend laughing their asses off in bed whilst smoking a joint after he pulls the paper bag off her head.

It's probably where she comes up with most of this shit. . .

DJL

Overall I don't think it helps to shout "climate change" in the middle of a natural disaster

Right, because the hurricane itself has fuck all to do with the Climate Change. We can discuss how CC may intensify the effects of said hurricane, but let's not exaggerate and blow it out of propotion.

DJL

There's no argument against the fact that air temperatures in the Sahara Desert, Water Temps across the Atlantic and water levels on the coasts have a profound effect on the severity and frequency of hurricanes but for now let's focus on the relief efforts.

Climate models predict an increase in severity of hurricanes, not frequency.

But as we all know, models tend to exaggerate. Just look at weather.com radar. Next time there's a storm in your area, look at the radar data from the last few hours that has actually been observed, then compare it to the "future" radar. The future almost always shows at least 30% more rain depicted by ferocious blobs of green/yellow/red - it's all bullshit.

It's all bullshit just like the predictions of Imra for the U.S

It was supposed to hit as a category 5 with 180MPH winds and 15ft storm surges in Naples! It was supposed to devastate Florida in it's entirety and blow the devil out of Georgia as a category 3 or 4 hurricane! Seriously, a category 4 hurricane in Georgia? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

I was watching CNN when that dude was walking his 3-legged dog in Naples as the eye passed over. They told him to get out of there, a surge is coming! He said that's he's been through plenty of hurricanes and knows what to expect, but the CNN meteorologist insisted that the surge was coming, "no Doubt," he said

Sure enough, the meteorologist was live on camera a few minutes later backpedaling - now the surge might not hit that part of Naples, he said. They actually waited hours for the surge to come, but apparently AGW sat this one out.

Anyway, the surge never hit that area of Naples and didn't come even remotely close to the 15ft as predicted, nor did it hit Georgia as a category 4, or 3, or 2, not even a 1, as predicted. All bullshit.

Seriously, these people need to read "The Boy who Cried Wolf."

It's all bullshit just like the predictions of Imra for the U.S

It was supposed to hit as a category 5 with 180MPH winds and 15ft storm surges in Naples! It was supposed to devastate Florida in it's entirety and blow the devil out of Georgia as a category 3 or 4 hurricane! Seriously, a category 4 hurricane in Georgia? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

I was in Vermont when Irene hit and that was nothing short of devastating for many towns...ALL THE FUCK WAY UP THERE IN VERMONT. I couldn't believe it. For that reason I think it's a very fair warning to to call for the evacuations that they did. The combination of storm surge and high tide is a coincidence of just a few hours and could be the difference between ground floor and 2nd floor.

Think about it, a CAT 5 at the mouth of the Gulf and all it needs is a little warm water to keep its power. The difference was less than a few hundred miles and about 18 hours. That's nowhere near enough time and room to give the OK that everyone will be safe.