Calvin19

Rejecting Basic Science

DirtyChai

But seriously, take them out to the middle of Lake Michigan about 30 miles or so from Chicago and show them the skyline. Ask them why they only see the tips of the skyscrapers and only half of Sears/Willis Tower?

Then you'll hear the phrase 'atmospheric lensing'... :S

I spent a little time researching flat earth theories yesterday. I feel like it killed a bunch of brain cells.

I want to know how you explain time zones if the earth is flat. Have these people never traveled? How do you explain getting on a plane traveling west, you are on the plane for 4+ hours, and you land at a time earlier then what your watch says. By that I mean based on daylight - not what someone else's timepiece says.

billvon

>I want to know how you explain time zones if the earth is flat.

The Sun slowly moves over the plate of the Earth. At one point it's over the East Coast - 3 hours later it's over the West Coast.

But then sunrise and sunset would happen at the same time everywhere. You can't trick me billvon. I know that there is "clock conspiracy" run by the elites.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>But then sunrise and sunset would happen at the same time everywhere.

Atmospheric lensing! The air bends the light so you can't see the sunset in NY as well as in CA. That's why it's light for a few hours after sunset. (I mean, if not for the atmosphere bending light, it would be instantly dark as soon as the sun set - right?)

billvon

>But then sunrise and sunset would happen at the same time everywhere.

Atmospheric lensing! The air bends the light so you can't see the sunset in NY as well as in CA. That's why it's light for a few hours after sunset. (I mean, if not for the atmosphere bending light, it would be instantly dark as soon as the sun set - right?)

Well, that is kind of interesting.

Duration of twilight varies a lot.

Near the equator, it is short.

Near the poles, it's longer.

For the same latitudes, it will also vary. During the equinoxes, it's short. During summer solstice, it's longer. During winter solstice, it's longer than the equinoxes, but shorter than summer.

All of this is easily shown with a sphere and a light source (a basket ball and flashlight work well) and a basic understanding of geometry and astronomy (tilt of the earth mostly).

But then again, those pesky facts won't ever convince the 'true believers.'
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

For the same latitudes, it will also vary. During the equinoxes, it's short. During summer solstice, it's longer. During winter solstice, it's longer than the equinoxes, but shorter than summer.

Atmospheric lensing of time?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Ummmm...

No.

The earth is a sphere. "Round" is sort of correct, but sphere is closer. Yes, I know it's actually a 'bumpy spheroid", but that's a bit unwieldy.

Besides, if it really was flat, there would be nothing left on it.

Cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.

Duh.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Ummmm...

No.

The earth is a sphere. "Round" is sort of correct, but sphere is closer. Yes, I know it's actually a 'bumpy spheroid", but that's a bit unwieldy.

Besides, if it really was flat, there would be nothing left on it.

Cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.

Duh.

The moon is really a round thin slice of mozzarella. You can even see where it's getting a little moldy from age.

jakee

***However, I would like to stay on topic of this specific denial case, but that's a short rope on a long rappel in SC.

I'm a flat earther denier. I can't believe any of them are for real.

Flat Earthers are bad; Hollow Earthers are f*cking whackjobs!
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

All of this is easily shown with a sphere and a light source (a basket ball and flashlight work well) and a basic understanding of geometry and astronomy (tilt of the earth mostly).

Look, I'm not a scientist, but I do know that the science isn't settled. You can use all the long words you like, but the Earth isn't like a basketball; it's not full of air. And there's no oil in a basketball.

billvon

>I want to know how you explain time zones if the earth is flat.

The Sun slowly moves over the plate of the Earth. At one point it's over the East Coast - 3 hours later it's over the West Coast.

That's it, I'm throwing out my sextant. What a scam.

Agreed.
It also requires zero meetings, no talking to non-existent beings, not begging same beings to not torture you for all eternity, and zero contributions to a tax free group of strange people.
Oh - no crappy food Wednesday nights.
Also not having a preacher's beautiful wife repeatedly throwing herself at you either. :D

a·the·ism
ˈāTHēˌizəm/Submit
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Religious faiths typically have some doctrine or dogmatic structure, whereas atheism rejects all of them.

you do understand what the prefix 'a' means in a word right? the opposite or negative of.

atypical
apolitical
abiotic
ataxia
aphotic
etc

normiss

Agreed.
It also requires zero meetings, no talking to non-existent beings, not begging same beings to not torture you for all eternity, and zero contributions to a tax free group of strange people.
Oh - no crappy food Wednesday nights.
Also not having a beautiful preacher's wife throwing herself at you repeatedly either. :D

And the crazy part is that you can still be as altruistic and moral as anyone else on the planet.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

winsor

***>I want to know how you explain time zones if the earth is flat.

That's it, I'm throwing out my sextant. What a scam.

A popular model from flat earth believers provides a theoretical system where a sextant provides accurate latitudinal navigation. I would hang on to it.

DanG

The really crazy part is that altruism and morality have fuck all to do with how people practice religion these days.

I know many people who think the only reason morality exists is the Christian Bible. I point those people towards the entire half of the planet that have no idea what the Bible says and somehow aren't eating each other's babies.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Croc

Atheism is a belief, no more or less than religious faith.

Theists claiming that atheists 'believe' that there is no god is easier for theists to cope with compared to them(theists) -understanding- that atheists came to a rational, unbiased conclusion that there is no evidence of any deity existing. It's a red herring tactic.