2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

The "Trump Train" idiots who harrassed the Biden bus are facing a civil lawsuit. Using the laws that were put in place to try to keep the KKK from harassing and intimidating voters. Fitting.

Included in the suit is the local sheriff, who failed to respond to calls from the bus.

Not terribly surprising is the fact that many named in the suit were also at the insurrection attempt at the Capitol on Jan 6.
Nor is it surprising that they were able to identify the fools because they posted about it on social media.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/politics/trump-train-lawsuit-biden-campaign-workers/index.html

• Like 1

I heard one of those deplorables in person this weekend.  I was at the San Diego Pride Parade and there was a preacher with a megaphone doing a counter-protest.  One of his points was:

"You think you can be gay and if you are good you'll get into heaven!  It doesn't work like that!  There is good and bad.  There is gay and straight.  There is white and black.  There is faithful and atheist.  And one of those will get into heaven - and one won't.  There's no middle ground."

Sucks to be born black OR gay I guess.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

I heard one of those deplorables in person this weekend.  I was at the San Diego Pride Parade and there was a preacher with a megaphone doing a counter-protest.  One of his points was:

"You think you can be gay and if you are good you'll get into heaven!  It doesn't work like that!  There is good and bad.  There is gay and straight.  There is white and black.  There is faithful and atheist.  And one of those will get into heaven - and one won't.  There's no middle ground."

Sucks to be born black OR gay I guess.

Interesting they never question the god that continues to make black, gay, brown, LGBTQ, every other human they hate type of people.

• Like 1

Trump's 2024 platform: GUNS, GAYS AND GIRLS!!!  The saddest part of it all (the U.S. political scene) is what we ALL have to choose from.  Can you say WE NEED SERIOUS REFORM?!?! The two party system doesn't work any longer.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, timski said:

Trump's 2024 platform: GUNS, GAYS AND GIRLS!!!  The saddest part of it all (the U.S. political scene) is what we ALL have to choose from.  Can you say WE NEED SERIOUS REFORM?!?! The two party system doesn't work any longer.  

Worked just fine in 2020, seems to me.

Conservatives scream bloody murder over "indoctrination" in schools and demand that such indoctrination be kept far away from children.

But in Florda, conservative child-indoctrination experts PragerU are now officially part of Florida public school curriculums.  Dennis Prager himself admits this: "It's true we bring doctrines to children,.  But what is the bad of our indoctrination?"

So once again, it's OK if they do it, not if anyone else does it.

Just when you thought this particular deplorable claim was dead - it's baaaack!

Elon Musk is the latest person touting the Pizzagate conspiracy.  If you forgot, Pizzagate was a conspiracy theory that Hilary Clinton operated a pedophile sex / child sacrifice ring in the basement of a pizza place in Washington, DC.  It led deplorable Edgar Maddison to actually go to said pizza place and shoot it up.  (He was a bit deflated when he discovered it didn't have a basement.)

This follows Musk's touting claims that Jewish communities push “hatred against Whites" and also that Paul Pelosi was a criminal/homosexual/using male prostitutes (maybe even all three!) and thus the attack was understandable.

So decades ago, if you wanted a divorce, you had to prove your partner was cheating or something.  This prevented women from getting divorces from abusive spouses, since often they could not prove that they had beaten them.  The husband would say "no, she fell down the stairs, and you have no proof of anything else!" and the issue would die - and the husband would continue to abuse her.

In 1969, no-fault divorce became the law of the land in California, where either person could get a divorce by demanding it.  It was signed into law by Ronald Reagan, who would eventually become the first divorced US president.  By 2010, all states had legalized it. 

This has been a good thing for women.  From AJ Willingham of CNN:

Since 1969, studies have shown no-fault divorce correlates with a reduction in female suicides and a reduction in intimate partner violence. A 2004 paper by economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolvers found an 8 to 16% decrease in female suicides after states enacted no-fault divorce laws. They also noted a roughly 30% decrease in intimate partner violence among both women and men, and a 10% drop in women murdered by their partners.

“Unilateral divorce both potentially increases the likelihood that a domestic violence relationship ends and acts to transfer bargaining power toward the abused,” the study states.

So a good thing overall.

Now - of course - conservatives want to cancel it. Beverly Willet, of the Coalition For Divorce Reform, recently said that "unilateral no-fault divorce clearly violates the 14th Amendment.  Too often in family court, defendants are deprived of life, liberty, and property without due process of law.”  Setting aside the chilling concept that people are denied their "property" by allowing them to divorce their partner, removing that option would certainly result in more spousal abuse.

New House Speaker Mike Johnson is pushing a similar idea called "covenant marriage" a form of marriage that it is very difficult to get out of.  He claims this will decrease divorce (which of course it will) and therefore save society.  For . . . spousal abusers?

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

Too often in family court, defendants are deprived of life, liberty, and property without due process of law.”

Poor men — women just want to bleed them dry, take their houses, just because they pushed out a couple of babies. Obviously men need more protection

Yes, there are abusive ex wives; there’s one in my extended family (fortunately the kids are now over 18, so the litigation opportunities are lessened). But more children go un or under helped by fathers than by mothers  

Wendy P. 

55 minutes ago, billvon said:

New House Speaker Mike Johnson is pushing a similar idea called "covenant marriage" a form of marriage that it is very difficult to get out of. 

I have read about this. And it is frightening. The most frightening part of it is that it is here already in 3 states. Arizona, Arkansas, and Louisiana. In those states there is a optional form of marriage available that only provides for divorce in limited circumstances. Just like the bad old days. I'm not sure what happens if one of the couple leaves the state like the old days of going to Nevada for a divorce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenant_marriage

Edited by gowlerk

58 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I have read about this. And it is frightening. The most frightening part of it is that it is here already in 3 states. Arizona, Arkansas, and Louisiana. In those states there is a optional form of marriage available that only provides for divorce in limited circumstances. Just like the bad old days. I'm not sure what happens if one of the couple leaves the state like the old days of going to Nevada for a divorce.

There are already laws on the books in Texas that ban helping someone travel for the purposes of an abortion.  Extending that to a divorce - or to a ban on the woman herself traveling - wouldn't seem that much of a stretch.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

There are already laws on the books in Texas that ban helping someone travel for the purposes of an abortion.  Extending that to a divorce - or to a ban on the woman herself traveling - wouldn't seem that much of a stretch.

Since it was introduced in Louisiana (1997), fewer than 1% of marriages have elected this option. Including the rather significant number of fundamentalist conservatives. It's just window dressing. Good thing to spend tax money on.

Wendy P.

12 minutes ago, normiss said:

Why do we tolerate ignorant and lies here??????????????????????????????????????????

Racism, hatred, lies, idiocy.

yay.

Because we can't stand on guard against it if we don't understand just how much of it is in our societies. This isn't FB, your feed is not curated to cater to what you already believe.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Because we can't stand on guard against it if we don't understand just how much of it is in our societies. This isn't FB, your feed is not curated to cater to what you already believe.

Even FuckedupBook doesn't do that.

I know, I know. It's just so fucking stupid. Usually I laugh at the ignorance so many people are proud to advertise.

Right up there with Michelle Obama dick pics. 

I sometimes expect too much from adults. Maybe I'm confused by trolls.

1 minute ago, normiss said:

Even FuckedupBook doesn't do that.

I know, I know. It's just so fucking stupid. Usually I laugh at the ignorance so many people are proud to advertise.

Right up there with Michelle Obama dick pics. 

I sometimes expect too much from adults. Maybe I'm confused by trolls.

It is curated to mostly show you the posts of people and things you click on. Why else all those stupid posts about "how I got to see all my people again by turning around in circles three times and saying 'bless Mark Zuckerberg'" (or whatever the solution of the day is). The way to see different people is to look for them, and click on what they post.

Wendy P.

53 minutes ago, normiss said:

Why do we tolerate ignorant and lies here??????????????????????????????????????????

Racism, hatred, lies, idiocy.

yay.

Because trolling posters present easy marks for replying poignant responses and the opportunity to earn "community reputation" points for that.

If everyone instituted the John Kallend remedy for known trollers it would end. The troller would have to report back to the Internet Research Agency that they were unsuccessful in SC. Then return to Glock Talk, AR-15.com or the other gun forums where they mostly co-habituate.

In other (older) news from Propublica, which IMO everyone should subscribe and donate to "Infamous Russian Troll Farm Appears to Be Source of Anti-Ukraine Propaganda"