2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

55 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Alleged crusade to stop voter fraud lands former HPD captain in handcuffs

https://abc13.com/mark-anthony-aguirre-former-houston-police-department-captain-arrested-aggravated-assault-liberty-center/8802235/

A former Houston Police Department Captain was arrested and charged for running a man off the road and pointing a gun at his head in an attempt to prove claims of a massive voter fraud scheme in Harris County, according to a news release from the Harris County's DA's office.

[facepalm]

I'm guessing that the basketball player with the exact same first/middle/last name, and almost the same age, isn't too glad about this either. 

13 hours ago, ryoder said:

Alleged crusade to stop voter fraud lands former HPD captain in handcuffs

Wow. A guy being paid a quarter of a million dollars to investigate voter fraud, who claims to have carried out an extensive investigation and surveillance, which leads him to hijack an air conditioning repair truck which turned out to be full of air conditioning repair tools. 

Leaving aside that this guy needs to go to prison for quite some time and his victim needs to get every penny of that fee and more - at what point does the wider Republican take ownership of this insanity and tell Trump to stop, tell their constituents there was no fraud and tell them that Joe Biden is not just the reported winner but the legitimate winner?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jakee said:

...- at what point does the wider Republican take ownership of this insanity and tell Trump to stop, tell their constituents there was no fraud and tell them that Joe Biden is not just the reported winner but the legitimate winner?

They don't.

They CAN'T.

They're in way too deep.

If they try to convince the Trumpettes that the whole thing was a con, they will destroy their party.

Many (most?) won't believe it anyway. Those morons will convince themselves that the "Deep State" got to the Rs and made them lie to cover up the 'truth'. 

McConnell is quietly telling the Rs in the Senate not to oppose the confirmation of Biden's win. 
He doesn't want it to turn into a shit-show, where the base will attack anyone who supports the legitimacy of the election. 

But the base will attack anyone who doesn't attack the legitimacy of the election. 

It's possible (not super likely, but possible) that this will tear the R party apart. Look at the quotes Bill has posted from Parler. Those morons either can't or won't give up. The level of unreality they support is frightening.

The former cop, now accused felon, is a good example of this.

He claimed that there were 750k 'fraudulent ballots' in the van full of A/C equipment.

Why? 
What would those 'ballots' be doing there? Aren't all the ballots in the hands of the election commissions? And what good would they be in the van? It's too late to put them anywhere, too late for them to count, too late for anything.

The logical disconnect for this is pretty huge.
And this guy was a former cop. And a Captain. That's not an easy position to reach. 
Yet he still is so fucked in the head that he does this. 

And I doubt he's alone in his thinking. 

8 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

They don't.

They CAN'T.

They're in way too deep.

If they try to convince the Trumpettes that the whole thing was a con, they will destroy their party.

Many (most?) won't believe it anyway. Those morons will convince themselves that the "Deep State" got to the Rs and made them lie to cover up the 'truth'. 

McConnell is quietly telling the Rs in the Senate not to oppose the confirmation of Biden's win. 
He doesn't want it to turn into a shit-show, where the base will attack anyone who supports the legitimacy of the election. 

But the base will attack anyone who doesn't attack the legitimacy of the election. 

It's possible (not super likely, but possible) that this will tear the R party apart. Look at the quotes Bill has posted from Parler. Those morons either can't or won't give up. The level of unreality they support is frightening.

The former cop, now accused felon, is a good example of this.

He claimed that there were 750k 'fraudulent ballots' in the van full of A/C equipment.

Why? 
What would those 'ballots' be doing there? Aren't all the ballots in the hands of the election commissions? And what good would they be in the van? It's too late to put them anywhere, too late for them to count, too late for anything.

The logical disconnect for this is pretty huge.
And this guy was a former cop. And a Captain. That's not an easy position to reach. 
Yet he still is so fucked in the head that he does this. 

And I doubt he's alone in his thinking. 

Hi Joe,

Re:  'And I doubt he's alone in his thinking.'

And, that is the scary part.

Jerry Baumchen

22 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

...The logical disconnect for this is pretty huge.
Yet he still is so fucked in the head that he does this....

This is the part that really has me wondering what we are witnessing.  Presumably, this guy was a highly competent person at one time.  However, he is not a phenomenon.  There have been plenty of other competent, respectable people in public roles that have gone down the same path.  Some go down that path out of sincere conviction and others go down it out of cynical opportunism. 

How many people do we know in our personal lives that we considered to be intelligent enough just a few years ago that now seem to be completely lost to this cause?

The human mind is a lot more fragile than I thought it was.  What we have, intellectually, one year may become derailed the next year by any number of causes.  We are particularly susceptible to influence from other people when those people legitimize our fears and complaints.

It's satisfying, to me, to a point out and attack the madness of the other side, but I doesn't get me anywhere.  I think the challenge of the future is going to be learn our societal weaknesses and try to construct an environment in which those weaknesses are not tested, or even worse, exploited. 

Buildings are built around the full understanding of human behavior when a building is on fire.  Maybe we can start to recognize what causes the current kind of division and safeguard against it the same way you would design a building.  There are plenty of examples in history that we can revisit.  Now we have one more example to add to it.  

16 minutes ago, NewGuy2005 said:

How many people do we know in our personal lives that we considered to be intelligent enough just a few years ago that now seem to be completely lost to this cause?

It's the power of magical thinking; the same thing that leads people dealing with death to try to bargain at first before accepting. We can all do it, I just try not to double down on it.

Wendy P.

22 hours ago, TriGirl said:

That ship sailed long ago.

If they try to convince the Trumpettes that the whole thing was a con, they will destroy their party.

Yup the Rs got totally destroyed in the last election 

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/11/933435840/the-2020-election-was-a-good-one-for-republicans-not-named-trump

11 hours ago, NewGuy2005 said:

Zero for me. I have friends who are R's who wanted Trump to be reelected but none who have spiraled down the election denial rathole.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

If they try to convince the Trumpettes that the whole thing was a con, they will destroy their party.

Yup the Rs got totally destroyed in the last election 

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/11/933435840/the-2020-election-was-a-good-one-for-republicans-not-named-trump

I didn't say they weren't getting elected. I meant that they are not what the Republican party claims it stands for (small government, personal accountability, fiscal responsibility).  How many of the higher ranking, long-term Republican officials chose to leave the field altogether at the mid-terms and this year?  The current batch now define what it means to be a Republican: selfish, power-driven, with no regard whatsoever about rule of law, decency, or real patriotism.  THAT is what was destroyed.

Edited by TriGirl

19 hours ago, brenthutch said:

They turned into Democrats?

Stop dodging, Trigirl's right and you know it.

Marjorie Taylor Greene openly supported QAnon throughout her campaign - a movement already declared a domestic terror threat by the FBI - and got elected to the House under a Republican banner.

The standard you allow is the standard you set.

8 minutes ago, yoink said:

I knew Kellyanne Conway was insane, but this passes through Deplorable and into properly fucked up.

"Kellyanne Conway Accused of Posting Topless Photo of Her 16-Year-Old Daughter on Twitter"

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/kellyanne-conway-accused-topless-photo-daughter-claudia-twitter-1234892220/

Too bad this didn't happen prior to last Friday's interview on Bill Maher's show. I would paid money to see Bill ask her about it.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

I knew Kellyanne Conway was insane, but this passes through Deplorable and into properly fucked up.

"Kellyanne Conway Accused of Posting Topless Photo of Her 16-Year-Old Daughter on Twitter"

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/kellyanne-conway-accused-topless-photo-daughter-claudia-twitter-1234892220/

Not topless, it was just alternate clothing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yoink said:

Apparently in revenge for her daughter posting videos of her being verbally abused.

Kellyanne is fucked, but where the fuck is George in all of this? 

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

'Trump’s American Carnage'

S2021 E3: "Trump's American Carnage" - Preview | FRONTLINE | Programs | PBS SoCal

FRONTLINE is doing a program about Trump and the results of his presidency.

It's on in this area at 10 PM this evening.

Jerry Baumchen

Will be interesting to see how PBS can edit the carnage to only an hour. They should put Ken Burns to work on another mini-series.