2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

Turtle dear, you're wrong. Arizona was settled by Hispanics, and was part of New Spain or Mexico until 1848. It was ceded as part of the Mexican-American war.

So the Hispanics in that area very likely do have a much longer presence, regardless of anything. And they have a right to, since they lived to and came with the land. There was no mandated clearing of the land as part of the treaty.

Or are individual prejudice-generated evictions (like the Trail of Tears, and the dispossession of African-Americans during Jim Crow) also OK because "they didn't fight hard enough? If so, well, you're wrong.

Wendy P.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Turtle dear, you're wrong. Arizona was settled by Hispanics, and was part of New Spain or Mexico until 1848. It was ceded as part of the Mexican-American war.

So the Hispanics in that area very likely do have a much longer presence, regardless of anything. And they have a right to, since they lived to and came with the land. There was no mandated clearing of the land as part of the treaty.

The Arkansas river runs along just North of the the Colorado/New Mexico border. The river was once the US/Mexico border. When the border moved, some landowners got totally screwed. The ones on the South side of the river had ownership rights granted by Mexico, and had to beg US officials to grant those rights all over again. For some, that didn't happen, and they lost their land.

9 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Where did I say anything of the kind?

Telling someone they do not belong in this country is classifying them as being inferior.  That's what happened in this video.  Europeans took over the country after hundreds of years of disease and warfare against the population of Native Americans throughout and Latin decedents in the SW.  Those people were not able to hold the land. So saying:

"They didn't lay claim and own it.

. . . and if they did, then they didn't defend it well enough."

is not a validation for a white person telling someone of Latin descent that they don't belong in this country.  I realize you feel like I'm putting words in your mouth so I'm attempting to clarify the entire message of what someone like a woman in this video is attempting to do.

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

Telling someone they do not belong in this country is classifying them as being inferior.  That's what happened in this video.  Europeans took over the country after hundreds of years of disease and warfare against the population of Native Americans throughout and Latin decedents in the SW.  Those people were not able to hold the land. So saying:

is not a validation for a white person telling someone of Latin descent that they don't belong in this country.  I realize you feel like I'm putting words in your mouth so I'm attempting to clarify the entire message of what someone like a woman in this video is attempting to do.

Thats why its OK for Putin to claim the Crimea and eastern Ukraine as Russian. The Ukrainians should have defended it better.

The Tulsa MassacreWell as Clint Eastwood said "they should have armed themselves".They should have had AA weapons to defend themselves from the use of aircraft bombing their homes. Foolish Blacks of Tulsa, spending money on education, business and nice homes.

A Long-Lost Manuscript Contains a Searing Eyewitness Account of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 An Oklahoma lawyer details the attack by hundreds of whites on the thriving black neighborhood where hundreds died 95 years ago.

(edited)
5 hours ago, DJL said:

I was going to post a retraction - and say i forgot to add my tongue in cheek emoticon - but they don't really have one.

So I just let it ride.

I'm curious - why is the US so berated for this - when Canada did the same?

Edited by turtlespeed

9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I was going to post a retraction - and say i forgot to add my tongue in cheek emoticon - but they don't really have one.

So I just let it ride.

I'm curious - why is the US so berated for this - when Canada did the same?

Canadians have their own dirty laundry in this, and it is discussed (see all the references to First Peoples) -- it's just that there are 1/10 the number of Canadians, so the volume isn't as loud.

Wendy P.

39 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Canadians have their own dirty laundry in this, and it is discussed (see all the references to First Peoples) -- it's just that there are 1/10 the number of Canadians, so the volume isn't as loud.

Wendy P.

I disagree - the volume FROM them is much louder than the volume TOO them.

54 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

So they do, and so do other nations.  Most of them don't choose to keep re-soiling their laundry well into the 21st Century, however.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

"The Federal Court has approved interim payments of $21,000 to people whose applications under the Sixties Scoop settlement have already been approved.

The COVID-19 pandemic had caused unexpected challenges in administering Canada's $875 million class action settlement agreement with Sixties Scoop survivors, including delays that some survivors say are creating a lot of frustration."

Canada: thousands of travelers affected as Indigenous-led rail blockade continues

Thousands of travelers in Canada have been affected and billions of dollars worth of freight traffic delayed as an Indigenous-led blockade of critical rail lines continues to cripple the country’s train network....For the past week, Tyendinaga Mohawk protesters in Ontario have defied a court injunction and blocked railway tracks in support Wet’suwet’en activists in British Columbia who are locked in a standoff over a multibillion-dollar natural gas pipeline that would cross through their traditional territory."

In the second story the Indian band made a deal to approve the pipeline. But traditional chiefs of that band didn't approve it. They blocked national rail lines, ignored court orders and the RCMP did nothing acting under instructions of the Prime Minister.

Those stories are both in the last year. To some extent the pipeline protests were environmentalist supported, not just native Indians.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I disagree - the volume FROM them is much louder than the volume TOO them.

That's because you're listening to the volume from them. The volume to them isn't relevant to you, other than to point a finger to say "see, we could be worse!"

In the context of the times it happened, it wasn't "wrong" at the time, any more than slavery in Mississippi was "wrong" at the time. There were social and biblical justifications coming out the wazoo. However, what was right then is wrong now, and the general consensus is that it was wrong, period.

Wendy P.

46 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

That's because you're listening to the volume from them. The volume to them isn't relevant to you, other than to point a finger to say "see, we could be worse!"

In the context of the times it happened, it wasn't "wrong" at the time, any more than slavery in Mississippi was "wrong" at the time. There were social and biblical justifications coming out the wazoo. However, what was right then is wrong now, and the general consensus is that it was wrong, period.

Wendy P.

We wouldn't be here to argue the point if it didn't happen, that's for sure.

I'd say that's pretty good news that we are.