2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

12 hours ago, billvon said:

?? Not taking issue with something that has larger numbers is "hypocrisy?"

In that case, your not even mentioning the 39,773 gun death in the US in 2018 is  . . . what?  39 times more hypocritical? And not mentioning the 16,000 US murders by US citizens a year is 16 times as hypocritical?

Were the people who condemned Al Qaeda after the 9/11 attacks hypocrites as well for bemoaning the deaths of "only" 3000 people when far more people are killed from other causes?

I was on a crusade for a while to separate landing areas because I thought that collisions under canopy were a big problem.  I even got the group member pledge changed.  Was I a hypocrite because that never accounted for more than 25% of the skydiving deaths a year?

I don't think you've thought this through very much.

It seems to me that those are some pretty mobile goal posts.

I do have to concede the closeness of the analogy though.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:22 AM, turtlespeed said:
On 4/29/2019 at 10:20 PM, billvon said:

?? Not taking issue with something that has larger numbers is "hypocrisy?"

In that case, your not even mentioning the 39,773 gun death in the US in 2018 is  . . . what?  39 times more hypocritical? And not mentioning the 16,000 US murders by US citizens a year is 16 times as hypocritical?

Were the people who condemned Al Qaeda after the 9/11 attacks hypocrites as well for bemoaning the deaths of "only" 3000 people when far more people are killed from other causes?

I was on a crusade for a while to separate landing areas because I thought that collisions under canopy were a big problem.  I even got the group member pledge changed.  Was I a hypocrite because that never accounted for more than 25% of the skydiving deaths a year?

I don't think you've thought this through very much.

It seems to me that those are some pretty mobile goal posts.

I do have to concede the closeness of the analogy though.

The analogy is still broken. 

Bill might've had a point if he actually "didn't take issue" with Bigun's concern about crime among undocumented immigrants and trivialize it.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, SkyDekker said:
On 4/29/2019 at 10:02 PM, Coreece said:

Why don't you just lump that in with violent crime as well?

Because part of trying to fix a problem is understanding the problem.  In this case, motivation plays a big role in trying to understand the problem.

Exactly, so why are you lumping all other violent crime together as if it's all the same thing with the same solution, except when it comes to right wing crime?

The Texas stats show that crime is significantly higher among undocumented immigrants than it is among those that are.  This might be due to the fact that undocumented immigrants don't have access to programs that would otherwise keep many of them from pursuing a life of crime.  Solutions to fix that won't necessarily apply to U.S citizens.

I understand that many on the left may not want to give the right any foothold when it comes to border control issues, but you don't have to trivialize them in order to explain why the wall may be ineffective.

13 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Exactly, so why are you lumping all other violent crime together as if it's all the same thing with the same solution, except when it comes to right wing crime?

The Texas stats show that crime is significantly higher among undocumented immigrants than it is among those that are.  This might be due to the fact that undocumented immigrants don't have access to programs that would otherwise keep many of them from pursuing a life of crime.  Solutions to fix that won't necessarily apply to U.S citizens.

I understand that many on the left may not want to give the right any foothold when it comes to border control issues, but you don't have to trivialize them in order to explain why the wall may be ineffective.

Because you referenced Bigun's post who was not discussing looking at things at a localized level. 

52 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Exactly, so why are you lumping all other violent crime together . . . 

Ah, so you are starting to see shades of gray, rather than just lumping everyone from a group together?  Great!

The Texas stats show that crime is significantly higher among undocumented immigrants than it is among those that are. 

Did you mean to say "significantly higher among undocumented immigrants than it is among those that are documented?"  In which case, I agree.  And both are significantly LOWER than the crime rate for US citizens as a whole.

So if you say "reduce illegal immigration" great; that could help by reducing their numbers.  If you say "allow illegal immigrants an easier path to become legal" then also great; that can also help by eliminating some of the forces that cause them to turn to crime.  However, if you contemplate that illegal immigrants are criminals who need to be watched carefully and treated like the thugs they are, while ignoring that they are less criminal than people like you (or me) - then you are missing a big part of the point.*

(* - note just in case this sentence gets the usual SC intentional misunderstanding applied to it - I am not claiming you literally said any one of those three things.)

1 hour ago, billvon said:

(* - note just in case this sentence gets the usual SC intentional misunderstanding applied to it - I am not claiming you literally said any one of those three things.)

You wouldn't need to post these disclaimers if you just addressed what I've actually said, rather than things that I've not "literally said."

46 minutes ago, billvon said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Exactly, so why are you lumping all other violent crime together . . . 

Ah, so you are starting to see shades of gray, rather than just lumping everyone from a group together?

Is that loaded question based on something I've not literally said?

This site's shitty search function makes it difficult to find things I didn't say.

21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

You wouldn't need to post these disclaimers if you just addressed what I've actually said, rather than things that I've not "literally said."

Thank you for demonstrating the usual nonsense I was disclaiming against.

15 hours ago, billvon said:

Well, what fun is it if some people can't post vague and misleading statements? How can they then claim 'that's not what I meant' when it's pointed out how wrong they are?

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:
17 hours ago, billvon said:

Well, what fun is it if some people can't post vague and misleading statements?

Seriously, what statement was vague and misleading?

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

How can they then claim 'that's not what I meant' when it's pointed out how wrong they are?

Seriously tho, where did I claim that?  WTF are you talking about?

If you look at what I wrote, you'd see that Bill and I actually agree on immigration/border issues.

What's frustrating is that often, when replying to me, he has the tendency to use my post as a platform to argue against some supposed right wing claim or ideology that I never held nor claimed, which essentially is a strawman. 

I'm glad tho that he's starting to use disclaimers if he's going to do that, but I was simply pointing out that there would be no need for disclaimers if he just address things I've actually said, otherwise communication tends to get a bit weird and breaks down.

It's not as bad as Amazon, but it's similar to how you'd make a post and then she'd use it somehow go off on some wild tangent about right wingers that had nothing to do with wtf we were actually talking about.  And then she'd end it with her signature BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

If you look at what I wrote, you'd see that Bill and I actually agree on immigration/border issues.

What's frustrating is that often, when replying to me, he has the tendency to use my post as a platform to argue against some supposed right wing claim or ideology that I never held nor claimed, which essentially is a strawman. 

I'm glad tho that he's starting to use disclaimers if he's going to do that, but I was simply pointing out that there would be no need for disclaimers if he just address things I've actually said, otherwise communication tends to get a bit weird and breaks down.

It's not as bad as Amazon, but it's similar to how you'd make a post and then she'd use it somehow go off on some wild tangent about right wingers that had nothing to do with wtf we were actually talking about.  And then she'd end it with her signature BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

We do often agree.  But keep in mind that this is a forum, and my posts here are part of a thread that includes several other participants.

But I will also try to keep my replies to you more focused on what you post, and more clearly note places that I am not replying directly to you, in the interests of better communication.

Today's deplorable, Lawrence Lockman, says that if women can get abortions, he should be allowed to rape them.

This GOP lawmaker from Maine recently came out strongly in support of new anti-abortion laws in the South.  A reporter dug into his past and found this gem of his from 1995:

“If a woman has (the right to an abortion), why shouldn’t a man be free to use his superior strength to force himself on a woman?  At least the rapist’s pursuit of sexual freedom doesn’t, in most cases, result in anyone’s death.”

On 5/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, billvon said:

Today's deplorable, Lawrence Lockman, says that if women can get abortions, he should be allowed to rape them.

This GOP lawmaker from Maine recently came out strongly in support of new anti-abortion laws in the South.  A reporter dug into his past and found this gem of his from 1995:

“If a woman has (the right to an abortion), why shouldn’t a man be free to use his superior strength to force himself on a woman?  At least the rapist’s pursuit of sexual freedom doesn’t, in most cases, result in anyone’s death.”

Are you SURE that wasn't Biden?

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, billvon said:

I was thinking of using the ban in another way.   Opponents of the Alabama legislation should introduce multiple bills to compensate.  Rape has no statute of limitations. Penalties for rape are raised to the same level as health care providers who terminate the pregnancy (per the recent bill -- up to 99 years incarceration).  Free health care for all women and their children until the child leaves the home (if the life is valuable enough to bring to term, then it is valuable enough to be healthy).  Increase educational spending -- because what value is a life to society if they are not educated? They need to have their own words used to illustrate that they're really full of shit.

Of course, none of these will make it through, but the lawmakers need to be on record showing their lack of consideration for women who no longer have rights over their own bodies, and children forced to be born.  One lawmaker already said that embryos in stasis don't count -- only those already in a woman's body count as real lives. :|

(ETA: Because they obviously understand the definition of the word "conception.")

Edited by TriGirl
  • Like 1

Fortunately this deplorable was stopped before anyone (or any pets) died.

===========================

Mississippi lawmaker punched wife for not getting undressed for sex fast enough, 

POSTED 3:07 PM, MAY 22, 2019

A Mississippi lawmaker is accused of drunkenly punching his wife in the face, and all because cops say he didn’t think she undressed for sex quickly enough.

The Clarion Ledger reports GOP Rep. Doug McLeod was arrested over the weekend in Lucedale, and a George County Sheriff’s Department report seen by the Sun Herald reveals some disturbing details.

Deputies say when they responded to a domestic violence call at McLeod’s home around 9pm Saturday, an apparently intoxicated McLeod opened the door, holding a boozy beverage and proclaiming, “Are you kidding me?” at the sight of the officers. He was slurring his speech and had trouble walking, per the report, and inside the home, deputies found his shaking, scared wife, her face bloodied from what cops say was a punch to the nose by McLeod.

Deputies say they also found blood on the couple’s bed and on the bedroom floor.

Another woman present told cops McLeod’s wife had run to her room, and the two women barricaded themselves inside, with McLeod allegedly yelling from the hall to the second woman that he would “kill her [expletive] dog.”

=========================================

Once again the Dotard is reaching out to touch the haters. There is no shortage of Americans (or Canadians) who want people to go back to the shithole countries they came from. But only Trump is in a position of such power. The deplorables are rallying around him.

Deplorable Andrew Anglin, who runs the Neo-Nazi site The Daily Stormer, was ecstatic over Trump's racist attacks over the weekend:

“This is the kind of WHITE NATIONALISM we elected him for. And we’re obviously seeing it only because there’s another election coming up. But I’ll tell you, even knowing that, it still feels so good.” 

Poor deplorable.  A day later a judge in Montana ruled that Anglin would have to pay the family of Tanya Gersh $14 million after he incited a wave of racist attacks against them.  He didn't even show up in court.  Too busy with Nazi stuff I imagine.