Phil1111

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site

narcimund

I made a stupid mistake and I embarrassed myself.

This is surely one of the most jaw-dropping Speaker's Corner posts in many, many years.

Nah, the denial of global warming has set a benchmark that can never be surpassed.

In Ron's defense I have talked to other people who mix up the effects of gravity and magnetism. About 5 years ago it took me 1/2 hour to explain to a guy how a compass worked in a outdoor store. He knew about GPS but had never held or seen a compass.

mr2mk1g

I made a stupid mistake and I embarrassed myself.

This is surely one of the most jaw-dropping Speaker's Corner posts in many, many years.

Credit to Ron where credit's due IMO. You'd never get that kind of open admission from rushmc.

Agreed.

About 5 years ago it took me 1/2 hour to explain to a guy how a compass worked in a outdoor store. He knew about GPS but had never held or seen a compass.

Lex Luthor: Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.

-----

Some relative gave young Einstein a simple compass as a present. Einstein's curiosity about how it worked started his life long journey unlocking the secrets of the universe.

I don't understand people who don't want to know how the things they use work. To them, as long as the toast pops up, that's all that matters. To them there's no reason to ever even think about the system they've just used.

My guess is "GPS guy who never used a compass" also has no idea whatsoever how his GPS determines its position in 3 dimensional space.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

RonD1120

And, to think I made an A in earth science.

The internet and youtube in particular can be FANTASTIC information resources. However, they can also be awful ones.
There are no checks and balances for what information can be put on the net (so long as it doesn't break any laws), so it's very easy to produce videos or web pages that promote wrong information - either deliberately or accidentally.

One of the things the school system needs to catch up on is how we check on the sources of the information we're using, and how we search for information on the internet, IMO.

I'm sure if you put 'eclipse 2017, book of revelations, end of the world' into Google you'd get a lot of results but they'd be the WRONG results to be basing an opinion around. You're asking a leading question; looking for only those results that back up what you already believe and you're not being shown the massive amount of data that is in opposition to the position you're being shown.

You've been a councellor - you understand that the way you phrase a question can dramatically change the answer you're given. The same goes for finding sources of information on the internet.

In the same way I'm sure you wouldn't trust Kallend's opinion on interpretation of scripture, I'd be very wary of sources of information that back up your faith-based opinions while talking about science.

normiss

Well damn, I was looking forward to the blood moon.

Ya gotta wait until January.

The 31st to be precise.

The next "Blood Moon" will be visible then.

Also known as a Lunar Eclipse.

And despite the prophecies, there have been a lot of them in the last 2000 years. No Rapture yet.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Wow, man.
No seal opening, no earthquake, and no blood moon?
Just a plain old boring full eclipse?
Why the hell am I going to North Carolina to see this?????

Thankfully my smoking hot wife is going, so nothing else matters. B|
Except our exploring new adventures...

Let me be clear, the video I watched only displayed the paths of the two solar eclipses. The accompanying explanation was totally my conjecture. Thus, the error and embarrassment was all mine.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

normiss

Wow, man.
No seal opening, no earthquake, and no blood moon?
Just a plain old boring full eclipse?
Why the hell am I going to North Carolina to see this?????

Thankfully my smoking hot wife is going, so nothing else matters. B|
Except our exploring new adventures...

Nope.

The solar eclipse in a week or so is pretty spectacular.

The "Blood Moon" is a lunar eclipse, where the shadow of the earth makes a full moon go "dark". Due to the earth's atmosphere, it doesn't completely disappear, but go a very deep shade of red (hence the "blood moon" title).

They occur a lot more often than Solar eclipses, take hours to happen and are nowhere near as dramatic and spectacular as a total solar eclipse.

But because there's a passage in the Bible about 'the moon turning red', the fools like to use it as proof of prophecies coming true, the Rapture happening and Jesus returning.

Again, thousands (literally thousands) of "Blood Moons" have appeared since biblical times and it hasn't happened yet. And I'm not too worried that it will.

Edit to add:

***Let me be clear, the video I watched only displayed the paths of the two solar eclipses. The accompanying explanation was totally my conjecture. Thus, the error and embarrassment was all mine.

Really?

There are a lot of "prophecies" that have jumped all over that interesting little coincidence.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo