normiss

Nazi's are back!

'No racism' allowed at Austin Confederate rally scheduled for Sept. 2

http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/no-racism-allowed-at-austin-confederate-rally-scheduled-for-sept-2/464744156

Organizers said attendees can bring any Confederate or U.S. flag, as well as handguns or long rifles permitted by state law.
Racism won't be tolerated at the event, according to the Facebook post.
Nearly 830 people claim that they will attend the counter protest while only 22 people have signed on to attend the Dixie Freedom Rally, as of Tuesday afternoon.

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

'No racism' allowed at Austin Confederate rally scheduled for Sept. 2

http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/no-racism-allowed-at-austin-confederate-rally-scheduled-for-sept-2/464744156

Organizers said attendees can bring any Confederate or U.S. flag, as well as handguns or long rifles permitted by state law.
Racism won't be tolerated at the event, according to the Facebook post.
Nearly 830 people claim that they will attend the counter protest while only 22 people have signed on to attend the Dixie Freedom Rally, as of Tuesday afternoon.

:D

Well, I think that just settles it. If the President would just post on Facebook that racism isn't allowed anymore then we could move on.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

tkhayes

******No one could have predicted that white supremacists marching into a city and carrying torches could possibly have led to violence. Everyone is shocked.

Reverse the races and the same can be said.

Black Lives Matter is every bit as racist as is the Klan, and both are odious. Perhaps the differing opinions on the matter are reflective of the quote falsely attributed to Churchill to the effect that one's own farts smell the sweetest.

bullshit. my essay today:

David TK Hayes

I do not dispute that the track record of treatment of blacks in this country has been abysmal.

However, I do contend that there has to come a point where we treat each case on its merits. If my sister gets raped, I don't care even slightly if the perp had a rough childhood, or was brutalized by the Secret Police before they emigrated from Bulganistan or whatever.

I have lived and worked with people who have come from dreadful backgrounds, been subjected to as much prejudice and discrimination as anybody due their ethnicity, but have prevailed due to honor, integrity and perseverance.

If a group's response to prejudice and discrimination is rioting and looting, for some reason my level of sympathy goes to zero real fast. Any lip service paid to 'equality' becomes moot.

If you want to discredit anything the neo Nazis or Klan have to say, all you have to do is let them say it. Being espoused by them discredits most anything by default.

Both sides view physical attack by the other as vindication of their stance. The way to undercut the White Supremacist Wannabes is behind the scenes, to cripple them economically and to foster their organizational implosion.

If the goal was to get the neo Nazi types to do something stupid, throwing a brick at one's car was a pretty good approach.

In any event, I staunchly support equal RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES. Former ill treatment is deplorable, but is no excuse for discrimination in the present - on way or another.

BSBD,

Winsor

Iago

This was originally a protest against the removal of a piece of history. A statue.

Statues are NOT pieces of history.

If we followed your logic we'd have statues to King George III and Benedict Arnold, Hitler, Himmler, Mussolini and Yamamoto in our town squares and parks.

Are they works of art worth preserving? I say yes.

I'm not opposed to moving them to different settings but that would be up to the elected reps and voters of that particular area.

There's a bronze Lenin in Seattle on a street corner up for sale as a work of art.

I'm OK with them in art museums. Or perhaps start The Museum of Treason and Infamy with them.

What they do accomplish is to get people scratching their chins and think 'Who is this guy and why does he have a statue?' I used to wonder the same thing about General Tso and why does he have chicken named after him? Well, he spent a military career crushing peasant rebellions across China. Worthy of a statue or a school being named after him? Some of the Chinese seemed to think so at the time.

I agree. We should sanitize our history because it makes us uncomfortable. :S

Instead how about we see how far we've come, and how much further there is to go?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

This was originally a protest against the removal of a piece of history. A statue.

If we followed your logic we'd have statues to King George III and Benedict Arnold, Hitler, Himmler, Mussolini and Yamamoto in our town squares and parks.

I'm not opposed to moving them to different settings but that would be up to the elected reps and voters of that particular area.

There's a bronze Lenin in Seattle on a street corner up for sale as a work of art.

I'm OK with them in art museums. Or perhaps start The Museum of Treason and Infamy with them.

What they do accomplish is to get people scratching their chins and think 'Who is this guy and why does he have a statue?' I used to wonder the same thing about General Tso and why does he have chicken named after him? Well, he spent a military career crushing peasant rebellions across China. Worthy of a statue or a school being named after him? Some of the Chinese seemed to think so at the time.

Instead how about we see how far we've come, and how much further there is to go?

How is The Museum of Treason and Infamy, complete with statues of traitors and enemies of the United States, sanitizing history?

The only sanitizing going on now is supporting the placement of statues of traitors (in heroic poses) in public places and treating them as heroes.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I agree. We should sanitize our history because it makes us uncomfortable.

And perhaps within 20 years the South will have statues of Tim McVeigh and Osama bin Laden in their parks instead.

"Well, it's part of our history, boy. Rebels fighting the North. You wouldn't understand; it's a Southern pride thing. Besides, if you take down Ol' Osama's statue, what's next? George Washington's statue? George Washington killed a few people in his time. They are literally exactly the same."

kallend

How is The Museum of Treason and Infamy, complete with statues of traitors and enemies of the United States, sanitizing history?

The only sanitizing going on now is supporting the placement of statues of traitors (in heroic poses) in public places and treating them as heroes.

No one was even paying attention until last week. This was never about statues. Now statues are a big deal. I doubt any new statues have been erected in the last 50 years.

Don't get me wrong...Charlottesville was terrible. I don't support any radical groups but here in the US you get to say what you want to say. And the Nazi's got their message of hate and racism out.

News flash...there will always be hatred and racism. Removing statues won't change that. Compare the black man's lot in 1950 to today. Are we making progress? Each new generation will wash away a bit more of it. If they're allowed to.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

No one was even paying attention until last week. This was never about statues. Now statues are a big deal. I doubt any new statues have been erected in the last 50 years. . . . News flash...there will always be hatred and racism. Removing statues won't change that.

Agreed. But if they attract violent groups who attack and murder people, there's a good argument to be made for their removal on the grounds of public safety.

normiss

Can you even imagine the response from the law if people of color did this?
Only white people are allowed to march around in militarized fashion.

Pic was taken in Charlottesville.

But...but...but...those are just people quietly protesting the removal of historical statues![:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Can you even imagine the response from the law if people of color did this?
Only white people are allowed to march around in militarized fashion.

Pic was taken in Charlottesville.

But...but...but...those are just people quietly protesting the removal of historical statues![:/]

I'd be OK with the statues of Lee, etc., if they had large inscriptions on them stating clearly "Traitor and Enemy of the United States"

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Forget about the civil war. Many haven't even gotten over desegregation yet. [:/] The outrage of sharing a lunch counter, and having your kids go to the same schools.

Maybe they can start with that and work their way back.B|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

No one was even paying attention until last week. This was never about statues. Now statues are a big deal. I doubt any new statues have been erected in the last 50 years.

Granted, they were just using the statue removal issue as a backdrop of their propaganda, the issue of statues has been a hot one for a while.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

airdvr

...No one was even paying attention until last week. This was never about statues. Now statues are a big deal. I doubt any new statues have been erected in the last 50 years.

Don't get me wrong...Charlottesville was terrible. I don't support any radical groups but here in the US you get to say what you want to say. And the Nazi's got their message of hate and racism out.

News flash...there will always be hatred and racism. Removing statues won't change that. Compare the black man's lot in 1950 to today. Are we making progress? Each new generation will wash away a bit more of it. If they're allowed to.

Well, the 50s were about 60 years ago, so you might be technically right.

But many of those statues were erected in the early part of the century (1900 to about the Depression). Funny how the statues of those "Heroes" were put up in the exact same timeframe as Jim Crow laws were put on the books to codify segregation.

More were put up in the 50s, some in the 60s and even a few in the 70s. The bust of the founder of the KKK (Forrest) was put up in the Tennessee Statehouse. It's still there. Again, kinda funny that those monuments of those "heroes" go up as the Civil Rights movement is gaining traction.

You might even think that the people who put them up are trying to send a message.

And no, LOTS of people were 'paying attention' to these monuments for some time. Just like the protests against the violence in Chicago's inner city, you just don't notice it because it doesn't make the headlines.

But the removal of the Confederate Flag in the wake of the Roof shootings got some attention. Again, some people had been working on that for a while. It was just that the tragedy brought enough attention to it that South Carolina finally decided not to fly it over the state capitol.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So Trump refused to condemn the murder in Virginia as a terror attack, and instead blamed both sides for the violence. He only made a strong statement on the murderer days after the incident. Why? He explained it like this:

“When I make a statement, I like to be correct. I want the facts. This event just happened. In fact, a lot of the event didn't even happen yet, as we were speaking. This event just happened. Before I make a statement, I need the facts. So I don't want to rush into a statement. So making the statement when I made it was excellent.”

Today, a few hours after the attack in Barcelona:

"The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!"

So he's clueless when it comes to Virginia, and remains so for days. But hours after an attack in a city he couldn't find on a map, he knows the facts.

To no one in particular, just posting at the end of this thread...

I would think the best way to deal with these confederate statues that have been erected in town squares and parks in cities across the south is... move them to the nearest cemetery with confederate graves and set them up in the confederate section.

Anyway, Robert E. Lee himself said after the Civil War that he didn't want any statues erected in his honor or for the Confederates. And he's right. We should have honored his wish.

However, I do contend that there has to come a point where we treat each case on its merits. If my sister gets raped, I don't care even slightly if the perp had a rough childhood, or was brutalized by the Secret Police before they emigrated from Bulganistan or whatever.

No-one is contending that anyone from any group who rapes your sister should be given a free pass. Obviously not. Why did you even say it?

I have lived and worked with people who have come from dreadful backgrounds, been subjected to as much prejudice and discrimination as anybody due their ethnicity, but have prevailed due to honor, integrity and perseverance.

So as long as some of the most exceptional people from a group can succeed despite discrimination against them then there is no effective discrimination?

If you want to discredit anything the neo Nazis or Klan have to say, all you have to do is let them say it. Being espoused by them discredits most anything by default.

Didn't used to though, did it? And that only changed because of the concerted effort by protestors to change the way people saw the racists. Who's to say that if we never again confront racism that racism won't become as socially acceptable as it used to be?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Agreed.

But if your sister is raped (god forbid) and she later has behavior problems when strange men approach her, you might be tempted to say "hey, give her a break, you don't know what she's been through." Doesn't mean it's OK for her to just punch strange men in the face, but it does mean that when her behavior in other ways is poor, there's a reason for it - a reason that isn't her fault. And that means she IS different than someone who goes around attacking men for no reason.

And that would be a good thing for people to know.

billvon

> Your pics show a response to riots, looting and arson.

So the response to murder should be proportionally larger.

If widespread violence and murder persisted, then no doubt that would be the response.

Fortunately tho, the suspect was apprehended shortly after the incident and the crowds soon dispersed. No tank needed.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to having tactical units in place during future demonstrations to serve as a deterrent to anyone that may think of pulling the trigger in these volatile situations.

Perhaps posting surveillance notices may help keep people in check as well.